Mousa Dembélé

Getty Images

Transfer Rumor Roundup: Dembele, Van Dijk to Arsenal

Leave a comment

With a move for Thomas Lemar taking plenty of time, a report from the Daily Express states that Arsenal may turn their attention to Moussa Dembele instead.

[ MORE: Auba a good fit for Chelsea?

Dembele, 21, impressed at Celtic last season in both the Scottish Premiership and the UEFA Champions League with the French forward scoring 32 goals in 48 games.

Celtic aren’t keen to sell but value Dembele at around $40 million and as Arsenal bang their head against a brick wall with Monaco wanting over $60 million for Lemar, perhaps the French U-21 international would be a good addition and add more pace to Arsene Wenger‘s attack after he already spent $68 million on Alexandre Lacazette this summer.

Per the report, Arsenal are growing increasingly worried that Alexis Sanchez may leave this summer (newsflash, Arsene, it may well happen) and are planning ahead, but with Olivier Giroud also attracting plenty of interest it appears the Gunners’ frontline is about to get a serious overhaul.

Dembele is a wanted man after last season but is he ready to perform week in, week out in the PL? Don’t forget, just over 12 months ago he was still at Fulham in the Championship. Still, a young, exciting French forward is right up Wenger’s street.


The same report also claims that Arsenal are also lining up a bid for Virgil Van Dijk. And in true Arsenal fashion they’re stating the Gunners are offering $58.7 million for the Dutchman… even though every other club has been told Saints want close to $80 million for him.

Van Dijk, 26, has yet to play for Saints in preseason as he recovers from a serious foot injury which saw him miss the second half of last season.

Liverpool have apologized over their pursuit of the Dutch center back earlier in the summer and with Southampton said to be unwilling to sell to Jurgen Klopp‘s men and putting a price of over $80 million on his head, this offer from Arsenal seems slightly farcical.

Are they gambling that Van Dijk is unhappy about how the Liverpool situation and the Saints’ captain wants out? If the gamble pays off then Arsenal would get themselves one oft he best center baccks in the Premier League who is capable of playing out of the back and surely he’d slot into their newfound 3-4-3 formation perfectly.

If they can push the price towards $70 million then maybe, just maybe, they can land another huge deal in the transfer market this summer.

Mauricio Pochettino: Harry Kane could be back in training next week

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Harry Kane has missed four straight matches for Tottenham after suffering an ankle injury in a win over Sunderland in September.

[ STREAM: Every PL game, NBC Sports ]

However, it looks like the Spurs striker could be back on the pitch soon according to manager Mauricio Pochettino, who says he hopes to get Kane back in training in the coming days.

“At the end of this week, maybe he can start to train and touch the grass a little bit. He’s very positive, he’s doing well. We hope that next week he’ll be training on the grass, on the pitch – still not with the group – but we’re happy in the way he is recovering from his injury.”

Despite the absence of the club’s lead man, Tottenham has not lost since Kane’s injury, including an impressive 2-0 win over league-leading Manchester City.

[ MORE: Chelsea sign huge Nike deal ]

The introduction of Kane back into the team’s lineup should only help a side that looks to be legitimate title contenders with 17 points through seven matches. Tottenham boasts the best defense in the Premier League, having allowed just three goals this season.

In other Tottenham injury news, Mousa Dembele suffered a recurrence of a foot injury in training that leaves his status in doubt for Saturday’s match against West Brom.

Tottenham’s Dembele banned for six games

Getty Images
1 Comment

Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Mousa Dembele has been handed a lengthy ban by the English Football Association.

Dembele, 28, was not seen by officials but was spotted by cameras gouging Diego Costa in the eye during Tottenham’s heated 2-2 draw at Chelsea on Monday which ended Spurs’ title hopes.

[ MORE: Leicester news after PL win ] 

The Belgian international will now miss the remaining two games of the 2015-16 Premier League season as well as the opening four games of next season.

The maximum ban for his charge of violent conduct is seven games but Dembele has decided to contest the length of the ban.

Below is a statement in full from the FA:

Mousa Dembélé will serve a six-match suspension with immediate effect after he committed an act of violent conduct which was not seen by the match officials but caught on video.

The Tottenham Hotspur midfielder accepted the charge but denied The FA’s claim that the standard punishment of three matches which would otherwise apply to this offence was clearly insufficient.

An Independent Regulatory Commission upheld The FA’s claim at a hearing today [Friday 6 May 2016] and ordered that an additional three-match suspension was appropriate.

The player was involved in an incident with Chelsea’s Diego Costa in or around the 45th minute of the fixture at Stamford Bridge on Monday [2 May 2016].

FA seeks eye-gouging ban for Dembele of more than 3 games

Photo by Ian Walton/Getty Images
1 Comment

LONDON (AP) The English Football Association wants Tottenham midfielder Mousa Dembele banned for more than three matches for an apparent eye-gouge on Chelsea striker Diego Costa.

The FA retrospectively charged Dembele with violent conduct on Wednesday after the incident was missed by the match officials in Monday’s 2-2 draw at Stamford Bridge.

The FA says “the standard punishment of three matches that would otherwise apply is clearly insufficient.”

[ UCL: Pellegrini hails road record | Ronaldo in ]

Dembele has until Thursday to respond to the charge.

Both Tottenham and Chelsea have also been charged with three breaches of FA regulations for “failing to control their players and/or officials.”

The teams have until Monday to respond.

The draw ended second-place Tottenham’s title challenge.

Report: Chelsea closing in on Fulham striker Moussa Dembele

Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images
1 Comment

French striker Moussa Dembele has been delivering on his promise for Fulham, and now may be headed across London.

Just not where we expected.

Sky Sports is reporting that Dembele, 19, is expected to finalize a deal to join Antonio Conte’s Chelsea side this summer, reinvigorating a strike force led by Diego Costa, Alexandre Pato, Pedro and Loic Remy.

[ MORE: Barcelona’s table lead shrinks to zero ]

Dembele has 16 goals this season for Fulham, which is now safely above the drop zone in the Championship.

So three months after nearly making our dreams come true with a proposed move to join Mousa Dembele at Tottenham, Moussa Dembele could be the lone Moussa Dembele at Stamford Bridge.

By the way, Pato wants to stay, too, and backed Conte. From the London Evening Standard:

“Conte will do very well here,” he added. “He’s a guy who has a real desire to win. He revolutionised Juventus, winning a lot. I am sure that it will be the same here.

“He will sign the players Chelsea need.”