Here’s a quick recap on the fluid Luke Rodgers situation.
- The New York Red Bulls striker could not gain re-admittance into the United States from England due to undisclosed visa issues.
- Exasperated, Red Bulls management terminated his contract late last week.
- Arguments can be made that Kenny Cooper’s emergence as Thierry Henry’s strike partner has mitigated any dire need for Rodgers, who had 10 goals in 23 appearances last year. Cooper has four goals in four matches so far, tied for second among league leaders.
- The Red Bulls seem to be retaining hope that Rodgers can join the club at some point.
- That seems less likely as he has joined with Norwegian side Lillestrom, which finished 13th in last year’s Tippeligaen (Norway’s top tier). And yet, the possibility does exist.
- None of this matters, because Rodgers has clearly shifted careers and joined NASCAR. Seriously, look at that photo.