By last December, when Robin van Persie was practically scoring goals in his sleep, everyone more or less handed the Dutchman his Premiership scoring title.
But Arsenal’s marksman fumbled away his form over the last month or so. And what do you know – Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney sneaked right back into the race.
So van Persie’s strike in yesterday’s 1-1 draw with Stoke City created just a smidge of breathing room for current pride of The Emirates.
The goal-scoring table remains in Round 36 evolution, of course. Rooney and Manchester United have a match in hand (tomorrow’s potentially title-deciding clash with rival Manchester City.)
Here’s where the race for EPL Golden Boot stands.
- Robin van Persie, Arsenal, 28
- Wayne Rooney, Manchester United, 26
- Sergio Agüero, Manchester City, 22
- T-Yakubu Aiyegbeni, Blackburn Rovers, 16
- T-Clint Dempsey, Fulham, 16
- T- Demba Ba, Newcastle United, 16