Let’s hear it for “proper motivation.”
Because a lot of athletes pack oodles of talent. But the athlete who can properly channel the effort, who can lock in and stay doggedly on task is the athlete at his best.
Along those lines, nothing channels or focusses like the chance to seriously stick it to the guys who just released you! Right, Lee Nguyen?
Vancouver signed Nguyen in the offseason but then deemed the one-time U.S. international as excess baggage around BC Place. He landed quickly at New England.
So, maybe we should have seen then one coming as the ‘Caps wandered right into Nguyen’s wrath Saturday at Gillette Stadium outside Boston.
The left-sided attacker hit two goals and assisted on the game-winner as New England took apart the Canadian visitors, 4-1. Nguyen’s third goal was an absolute stunner.
By the way, held up next to a pair of goals it might be easy to mitigate that assist. But it was quality work at a key time, as Nguyen beat one defender on a quick dribble and then slipped a ball into Saer Sene, a sweet little pass that effectively removed three defenders from the play.
But, yes, I know everyone is talking about that awesome goal. So, here ‘tis (down below the list of previous 2012 winners):
Past ProSoccerTalk Players of the Week
- Round 1: Kalif Alhassan, Portland
- Round 2: David Estrada, Seattle
- Round 3: Thierry Henry, New York
- Round 4: Thierry Henry, New York
- Round 5: Kenny Cooper, New York
- Round 6: Aurelien Collin, Sporting Kansas City
- Round 7: D.C. United’s Chris Pontius
- Round 8: New York’s Dax McCarty
- Round 9: San Jose’s Chris Wondolowski
- Round 10: New England’s Lee Nguyen