(Thursday update: he’s signed, according to a new report in the Houston Chronicle.)
Honduran international Oscar Boniek Garcia may soon be property of the Houston Dynamo, according to a report in today’s Houston Chronicle.
Dynamo president Chris Canetti told the Chronicle’s Jose de Jesus Ortiz that the club is “very, very engaged in an effort to finalize a transfer.”
The report says Boniek Garcia would become the club’s second designated player, and the only one currently on roster. Luis Angel Landin was the first; he arrived unfit in 2009 and never came close to justifying a DP salary.
Boniek Garcia, a right-sided midfielder who has been with Honduran power Olimpia since 2007, could help improve a midfield that still looks a little incomplete. Calen Carr has played there lately, replacing Colin Clark, who lost his spot earlier this year and has been coming off the bench lately. Carr hasn’t been bad, but he still looks like a place holder, a striker playing in midfield out of necessity.
Or perhaps Boniek Garcia can become more of an influence as a centrally stationed attacking midfielder; no Dynamo man has been truly influential in that position since Stuart Holden left for Bolton after the 2009 season.