Truly, I cannot remember an MLS off-season of such complete turnover for a team that did, after all, make the playoffs.
Saturday’s trade of Joel Lindpere means that five significant roster pieces from the end of last season are no longer with the team. The likely possibility that Wilman Conde will soon be released or traded will make that a sold half-dozen. (And that doesn’t include Dane Richards and Mehdi Ballouchy, former significant attackers that were traded away last summer.)
Plus, of course, the team remains on the hunt for a head coach. More on that, and where the search has apparently gone, is here.
Updating the Red Bull roster makeover:
- Head coach Hans Backe, gone
- Troublemaking DP Rafa Marquez, gone
- Midfielder Teemu Tainio, gone
- Defender/midfielder Jan Gunnar Solli, gone
- Fan favorite forward (well, fan fav in some places) Sebastien Le Toux, traded
- Forward Fabian Espindola, acquired
- Center back Jamison Olave, acquired
- Former Lyon playmaker Juninho Pernambucano, acquired
- Midfielder Joel Lindpere, traded to Chicago