Alan Gordon’s apology and Major League Soccer’s latest run-in with homophobic slurs

1 Comment

PORTLAND, Ore. — Those who saw the video on NBCSN had no doubt what Alan Gordon said, even if he wasn’t able to confirm his words. After Sunday’s loss in Portland, the San Jose striker was escorted out of the visiting locker room by team officials, retreating to the team bus before being made available for comment.

Timber captain Will Johnson, the target of the six-letter homophobic slur, was also unwilling to comment, but after San Jose released this statement, there’s little doubt Gordon will be hit with a three-match suspension:

“I sincerely apologize for what I said in our game tonight. Although I said it in the heat of the moment, that language has no place in our game. That is not my character, but there is still no excuse for saying what I said. I made a mistake and I accept full responsibility for my actions.”

The last player who committed a similar offense was Seattle Sounders defender Marc Burch, who targeted Will Johnson (then with Real Salt Lake) with the same slur last November. Burch’s three-match ban forced him to miss last year’s Western Conference finals as well as the first game of the 2013 regular season.

Combined with the red card Gordon saw in the 69th minute, San Jose could be without their striker for the next four games: vs. Portland (Apr. 21), at Chivas USA (Apr. 27), vs. Montreal (May 4), vs. Toronto (May 8).

Major League Soccer has gone to great lengths to make its stance on these comments clear. In most of the league’s stadiums, a “Don’t Cross the Line” service video plays before the match, seeking to promote “unity, respect, fair play, equality and acceptance throughout the soccer community.” The video was aired before Sunday’s match at JELD-WEN. With the league intent on showing a strong, consistent front on these issues, there’s no doubt Gordon will be suspended.

We’ve seen this type of language used in other sports, most prominently by Los Angeles Laker Kobe Bryant two years ago. With the sexuality of retired Major League Soccer players David Testo and Robbie Rogers recently coming to light, the issue of homophobia takes on a special significance within the MLS community.

Expect that significance to be discussed this week as the league works through this latest controversy.

WATCH: Zlatan stunner answers Vela’s opener in El Trafico

Photo by Shaun Clark/Getty Images
1 Comment

Zlatan Ibrahimovic is walking it like he talks it, not that that’s anything new.

A few days after claiming superiority over LAFC superstar Carlos Vela, Ibrahimovic and his Galaxy trailed early in El Trafico via a Vela penalty.

[ MORE: Latest on Eriksen ]

Naturally, Zlatan took it upon himself to answer the bell with his 14th goal in 17 games.

Ibrahimovic chests a long ball onto his right foot, cooking Eduard Atuesta by pushing it into position for a tremendous lash into the LAFC goal.

And if you haven’t been following LAFC’s amazing season, Atuesta’s probably been the side’s best player after Vela, who now has 20 goals in 20 games.

Wizard stuff.

Borussia Dortmund tops Liverpool 3-2 at Notre Dame

Michael Caterina/South Bend Tribune via AP
Leave a comment

A half-hour of the big guns wasn’t enough to get Jurgen Klopp a result against his former team.

Harry Wilson and Rhian Brewster scored for Liverpool in a 3-2 loss to Borussia Dortmund at the University of Notre Dame on Friday.

Paco Alcacer, Thomas Delaney, and Jacob Bruun Larsen scored for the Black Yellow, who led 3-1 when mass changes began with Virgil Van Dijk, Georginio Wijnaldum, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Jordan Henderson, and Andrew Robertson entering the match.

Liverpool faces Sevilla on Sunday at Fenway Park in Boston.

[ MORE: Latest on Eriksen ]

Alcacer with the ball in the box is a bad idea, and the Spaniard took advantage of Nathaniel Clyne and Joel Matip to smash home from a yard outside the six.

Wilson leveled the score before halftime, but Delaney made it 2-1 in the 53rd minute when a long diagonal ball beat the Reds line and a low pass across the box went undetected.

It was 3-1 via a clever Bruun Larsen touch to wrong foot James Milner, but Brewster brought the Reds back to within one when he converted a 75th minute penalty won by Ben Woodburn.

Liverpool was without Sadio Mane, Roberto Firmino, and Mohamed Salah, who are on break after deep summer tournament runs.

Eriksen offered big Spurs wages, but Atletico Madrid lurks

Photo by Darrian Traynor/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Christian Eriksen may trade London for Madrid after all, but Marca claims it’ll be Real Madrid’s rivals who earn the services of Tottenham’s Danish playmaker.

Eriksen, 27, scored 10 goals with 17 assists for Spurs in all competitions last season, and was reportedly ready to spread his wings for Real Madrid.

[ MORE: Kean to Everton? ]

But pro-Real site Marca says Zinedine Zidane doesn’t want Eriksen at the Bernabeu, and that Diego Simeone feels differently… should Atletico Madrid fail at landing his prime option.

That’s James Rodriguez, who remains property of Real and that’s a problem.

So Eriksen to Atleti, helping to replace Antoine Griezmann? It’s possible.

From Marca.com:

Just last November, the London club put a 250 million euro price tag on his head, but now appear keen to move him on. The next few days will likely reveal a lot about what’s to come.

So we may get an idea of whether this report has any guts to it by next week. There could be some sense to it, but Metro claims that Spurs are offering Eriksen an “enormous” contract to keep him in North London.

Enormous means a doubling of Eriksen’s wages, and the Dane is said to be happy in England. Might Spurs hold off the finest of La Liga and Serie A after all.

Report: Everton could land Juventus’ Kean after all

Photo by Tullio M. Puglia/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Everton could end up with one of the hottest prospects in world soccer.

Moise Kean may wind up leaving Juventus due to the club’s failure to offload fellow strikers Mario Mandzukic and Gonzalo Higuain.

And Kean, 19, was poised for a breakthrough to the first team, to the extent that Juve reportedly turned down a $33 million bid from Everton.

[ MORE: Algeria wins AFCON ]

The Toffees, however, may have new life due to the Higuain/Mandzukic problem, and Sky Sports Italia reports that Kean may indeed be an option for Marco Silva‘s club. He could join Michael Keane, if he’s keen.

It wouldn’t be surprising if Kean elected to leave Italy given the racial abuse he’s suffered in Serie A (Though racism is everywhere, of course).

The same report says Kean turned down a Barcelona offer because he would’ve headed on loan, while Arsenal is also said to be in the mix.

Kean scored six Serie A goals with an assist in just 13 matches for Juventus last season after scoring four times for Hellas Verona on loan.