Premier League managerial pair blast squad and referee following final match

Leave a comment

Paolo Di Canio and Andre Villas-Boas took to the media following their teams’ Premier League finale to voice displeasure with how their final fixture played out.

Tottenham defeated Sunderland 1-0 on Gareth Bale’s late strike from long range, but it wasn’t enough to send Spurs to the Champions League.

Spurs boss Villas-Boas believed if his side had been given a penalty decision in the opening minutes, it would have put pressure on Arsenal and could have changed the outcome of not just Spurs match but the Gunners as well, who ultimately won 1-0 to grab the 4th position.

Villas-Boas said, “The penalty was decisive. I don’t want to put the spotlight on the referee, but I think it would have been absolutely decisive in these kind of fixtures where emotions are felt very, very strongly. Obviously certainly be felt at Newcastle. It could have potentially changed the nature of the other game and it would certainly have changed the running of our one.”

The Spurs manager continued to say there was a conference call in January where he spoke with referees about decisions involving Gareth Bale.

Sunderland boss Di Canio ripped his team’s discipline following the match, with the outrage centered around defender Phil Bardsley’s controversial photo which appeared on the internet.  With Sunderland’s safety assured following Wigan’s loss to Arsenal midweek, Bardsley and teammates went out to celebrate, but Di Canio believes this disrespected the club.  Bardsley was pictured laying on a casino floor covered in 50-pound notes.

Di Canio ranted, “It’s obvious. How I can play a player that probably is blurry for three, four days after what’s happened? More important I want to deliver a very clear message since the beginning that there is not excuse to behave like he did. If we don’t punish this kind of behaviour, how do [the academy players] grow up? Thinking they can laugh about what they saw on the website picture? Maybe they think it’s fantastic; to be like a gangster. But what mentality are we going to deliver?”

He continued to say he found the situation worse than his former job at Swindon Town. “I thought that at Swindon, League Two, arrogant, ignorant footballers in some way so they don’t know exactly because they’ve not had many chances to stay at the top level. I have to tell you unfortunately I found a worse environment in terms of discipline in this club.”

Finally, going forward, Di Canio believes changes are necessary. “They can’t stay with me, people who behave like that” he said. “I told them that we can win or draw [at Spurs] – or lose with dignity, respecting the club’s name and the fans that will follow us at the game. “Otherwise I will reduce their holiday. I will give them only the minimum I can give them, which is four weeks – 28 days, instead of probably 38 or 40. Because in some way we have to start a change of mentality. I am going to sit at the table with the chairman. Obviously if we want to have a different future in terms of results we need to bring in good players but with a professional ethic.”

Mexico receives FIFA fine for insulting chant

Kyodo News via Getty Images
Leave a comment

FIFA handed a $10,400 fine down to Mexico on Wednesday for “discriminatory and insulting chants” that occurred during El Tri’s 1-0 victory over Germany.

[ MORE: Spain tops Iran after overruled goal ]

The FIFA disciplinary committee reportedly levied the fine to Mexico for directing a derogatory chant towards German goalkeeper Manuel Neuer.

“The FIFA Disciplinary Committee has sanctioned the Mexican Football Federation (FMF) with a fine of CHF 10,000 for the misconduct of a group of Mexican fans (cf. art. 67 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code) in relation to discriminatory and insulting chants during the first half of the 2018 FIFA World Cup match played between Germany and Mexico,” FIFA declared in a press release.

The Mexican Football Federation has aimed to eliminate an ongoing epidemic of homophobic chants that supporters have screamed during goal kicks for some time.

El Tri was sanctioned 12 times during CONCACAF World Cup qualifying for those chants.

Ronaldo explains his new chin hair at World Cup

AP Photo/Hassan Ammar
Leave a comment

Now that Cristiano Ronaldo has taken to sporting a reasonable hairstyle atop his head, people are talking about the foliage on his face.

[ RECAP: Morocco 0-1 Portugal ]

Ronaldo, 33, drew speculation when he stroked his chin following a goal in his hat trick performance against Spain in the World Cup opener. Some said he was demonstrating defiance against Lionel Messi posing with a goat (Greatest Of All Time) in a recent photograph.

Ronaldo scored again on Wednesday, and there was seemingly little doubt his goatee was a wink to the speculators. But what did it mean, CR7? From ESPN:

“This goatee? It’s a joke I had with [Ricardo] Quaresma. “We were in the sauna [before Friday’s match against Spain] and I started to shave and I left the goatee. I said if I score tomorrow, I would leave it for the rest of the tournament. And it gave me luck.

“I scored in that game, I scored in this one, so it stays.”

Personally, I like to imagine Ronaldo starting to get as wild with his facial hair as he did his head hair.

Perhaps a beatnik style, or something like Serj Tankian from System of a Down. Get nuts, C-Ron.

Report: Southampton could sell Tadic to Ajax for $20m

Adam Davy/PA via AP
Leave a comment

Could Southampton be selling one of its most creative forces?

Dusan Tadic, 29, is in the middle of a World Cup run with dark horse Serbia, but the Saints star is also being talked about as a purchase item for Ajax.

[ MORE: Serbia tops Costa Rica ]

The celebrated Eredivisie has traditionally been a selling club for the Premier League, but could be a $20 million buy for Ajax.

The report says director of players Marc Overmars and financial director Jeroen Slop have flown to Southampton to work out a deal.

Tadic starred for Dutch sides Groningen and Twente between 2010-14 before moving to St. Mary’s for a reported $12 million.

He’s scored 24 goals with 35 assists in 162 appearances for Saints, 21 and 30 of which came in the Premier League.

Toronto locks down USMNT backstop Bono with extension

Photo by Graig Abel/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Toronto FC goalkeeper Alex Bono is going to stay Toronto FC goalkeeper Alex Bono.

[ RECAP: Morocco 0-1 Portugal ]

The newly-capped USMNT backstop, 24, has been attracting interest from abroad since breaking past Clint Irwin to win the TFC job and guiding the club to multiple MLS Cup Finals.

Now general manager Tim Bezbatchenko has locked down his young goalkeeper to an undisclosed contract extension. From TorontoFC.com:

“Alex was a big part of our success last season. He set club records for wins and clean sheets and was a critical piece of our championship team,” said Toronto FC Sr. Vice-President, Soccer Operations & General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. “Since joining the club as a first round pick in 2015, Alex’s ability to make key saves in big moments has been critical to our success.”

The Syracuse-born product of Syracuse University has made 64 appearances for the Reds.