Liverpool add another as Spaniard Luis Alberto joins Reds

1 Comment

It is already turning out to be quite a busy summer for Brendan Rodgers at Liverpool Football Club.

On Saturday Sevilla and Spanish Under-21 striker Luis Alberto joined the Reds in a $10 million deal, with Barcelona turning down the option to buy him.

Alberto, 20, was on loan at Barcelona B last season and scored 11 goals in 38 games.

The striker also scored 25 goals in 75 appearances for Sevilla’s B side but failed to score in seven games for their first team.

So spending $10 million on a player who hasn’t scored in the top division in Spain seems a little strange, does it not?

But that is the way Liverpool’s transfer policy has veered this summer. Rodgers and his staff and getting creative with their buys but one must think that bigger name signings will arrive later in the window, especially if Luis Suárez does leave Anfield.

Daniel Sturridge could take over the leading role, after he impressed with 11 goals in 16 games following his $18.4 million move from Chelsea in January. But Sturridge will be out for up to four months after injuring his ankle while playing for England earlier this month.

However with another Spanish attacker set to join — Iago Aspas of Celta Vigo will complete his $10 million move in the next few days as paperwork formalities are sorted out — bringing in talented youngsters seem to be the main aim for Rodgers this summer. Aspas is 25, but is uncapped by Spain and has been something of a late bloomer.

Yes, Liverpool look to have sealed the signing of Belgian international goalkeeper Simon Mignolet from Sunderland for $14 million. But their other signings, coupled with the capture of 21-year-old Brazilian playmaker Philippe Coutinho last January, propose a shift in Liverpool’s tactics in player recruitment.

(MORE: Mignolet to be a Liverpool player by midweek)

Rodgers will want to mold these youngsters and unearth their potential by continuing to play the possession based soccer he knows and loves at Liverpool. He doesn’t really want players who differ from his playing style and doesn’t want to spend too much time adapting their style of play. He wants younger players who are more receptive to change and won’t be stubborn enough to persist with their previous playing habits.

32-year-old defender Kolo Toure arrived on a free transfer from Manchester City, and many raised eyebrows as to whether Rodgers was going to move forward with experienced pros instead of giving youth a chance.

(MORE: Liverpool sign Toure from Manchester City…Kolo Toure that is)

I think we all know which direction Liverpool are heading in now. Change is occurring and as we saw last season, they’re moving forward slowly but surely under Rodgers’ stewardship.

Sporting Lisbon defender Tiago Ilori is said to be next on the list. Again, he is 20 and can be molded accordingly as Rodgers revolution continues to take shape. Also Shakhtar Donetsk’s 24-year-old Armenian star Henrikh Mkhitaryan is close to joining Liverpool, with the highly touted attacker — who scored 25 goals from midfield last season — said to be valued between $27-30 million.

With Carroll gone and Suárez edging ever closer to the exit door, a new look Liverpool side could conceivably see at least half of their outfield players under the age of 22 next season.

Winds of change are sweeping through Anfield. Exciting times with exuberant youngsters could lie ahead.

Transfer Rumor Roundup: Guardiola scouts de Ligt, Chelsea aim for Lewandowski, and more

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Just days after winning his first Premier League title, Pep Guardiola is already on the road, scouting for new signings.

One of these players that Manchester City is reportedly scouting – likely along with many European clubs – is Ajax’s young defensive wiz Matthijs de Ligt. Just 18-years old, de Ligt finished his second full season in the Ajax first team, playing 39 games across all competitions and scoring three goals.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

The youngster was even fast-tracked into the Netherlands National Team, starved of quality defenders as they are, but he made some crucial errors that led to the Oranje missing the World Cup and a second-straight tournament.

Guardiola is eying de Ligt as the eventual replacement for Vincent Kompany, but there’s a chance Guardiola could wait to sign him with Nicolas Otamendi, Aymeric Laporte and John Stones ahead of de Ligt in the pecking order. However, considering how well Davinson Sanchez has done in his time in England this season, de Ligt could in theory have a similar performance, assuming he adjusts physically.

Either way, should de Ligt join Man City, they’ll have two of the brightest young defenders in European football.

Here’s a look at some other transfer rumors across the Premier League and Europe:

(more…)

Sources: Patrick Vieira move to Nice finalized

Monica Schipper/Getty Images for Beyond Soccer Series
1 Comment

New York City FC’s fantastic start to 2018 will have to continue without its manager, as Patrick Vieira is set to move overseas.

Multiple sources have told Pro Soccer Talk that Vieira’s move to Ligue 1 side OGC Nice –which was reported by PST over the weekend — has been finalized.

The deal is for a two-year contract with the French club, who finished eighth place in Ligue 1 during the 2017/18 campaign.

French outlet L’Equipe has reported that NYCFC won’t receive a buyout for the remainder of Vieira’s contract, which was set to run through the conclusion of the 2018 MLS season in December.

Vieira was at NYCFC training on Tuesday, and is expected to be once again on Wednesday, per a source familiar with the situation.

Tomorrow’s training session will likely be Vieira’s last though, and he won’t travel to coach NYCFC for the team’s MLS match on Friday night against the Houston Dynamo.

There aren’t any indications to this point as to whether or not NYCFC has an interim manager in mind to replace the outgoing Vieira.

The 41-year-old manager has spent the last two-plus seasons in New York City, guiding NYCFC to back-to-back second-place finishes in the Eastern Conference. He took over at the team in 2016, following the firing of the team’s first-ever manager Jason Kreis (now at Orlando City).

Vieira will be replacing Lucien Favre at Nice, who recently left the club at the conclusion of the Ligue 1 season. Favre has since taken the vacant managerial position at Borussia Dortmund.

Over recent months, Vieira has been linked to several other European jobs, including Saint Etienne (Ligue 1) and Southampton (Premier League), neither of which escalated to a serious level of interest.

FIFA: Insufficient evidence of doping by Russia’s World Cup squad

Getty Images
1 Comment

ZURICH (AP) FIFA says there is insufficient evidence any players in Russia’s World Cup squad have previously doped.

The governing body has been assessing information from the World Anti-Doping Agency, samples recovered from the Moscow lab, and information from its former director Grigory Rodchenkov.

[ MORE: Watch full PL match replays ]

Russia last week named a provisional 28-man squad, plus seven reserves for the World Cup, which kicks off in Moscow on June 14.

After investigating the players, FIFA says “insufficient evidence was found to assert an anti-doping rule violation. FIFA has informed the World Anti-Doping Agency of its conclusions, and WADA in turn has agreed with FIFA’s decision to close the cases.”

FIFA did not provide information on the status of investigations into players who are not in the World Cup squad.

Why Pulisic could be more likely to stay at Dortmund

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Christian Pulisic isn’t short of potential suitors this summer as he ponders his future.

Without a World Cup, Pulisic has plenty of time to recover from another full season of European football, one where he fully experienced the harsh realities of soccer at the highest level – two managers in and two managers out.

[READ: Emery set to replace Wenger at Arsenal]

With Dortmund hiring another coach, it seemed there was a chance Pulisic could decide to leave Dortmund and reunite with former manager Jurgen Klopp, or head elsewhere for a more stable situation. But Tuesday’s news that Dortmund has hired Lucien Favre may change all of that.

The 60-year-old Swiss native signed a two-year contract Tuesday, and his preferred style of play fits perfectly into how Pulisic performs best on the field.

The Bundesliga recently posted a detailed look at Favre’s tactics from his time at Nice, where he led the club to finishes of third and sixth the last two years, while re-juvinating the careers of Mario Balotelli and Younes Belhanda as well as unearthing young gems in Jean Seri and Allan Saint-Maximin.

In Favre’s 4-3-3, you could easily see Pulisic lining up on the right of the forward trident, running to the byline and dishing out assists, with Marco Reus on the left, cutting inside and firing shots home with his howitzer of a right leg. Or we could see the pair switch.

One thing that is currently missing is a dynamic No. 9, but with the whole summer transfer window ahead, Dortmund could easily re-sign Michy Batshuayi or find a new powerful center forward (Balotelli, anyone?).

In short, while Pulisic may have had a reason to leave Dortmund had another Peter Stoger-type manager been hired, Pulisic now has no reason why he can’t be a wild success at Dortmund for years to come. The 19-year-old (he’s still a teenager!) American star will have plenty of chances to bend in crosses or cut in and score goals himself, as well as the opportunity to play in the UEFA Champions League.