Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Cavani to Chelsea, Rooney to Barca

5 Comments

There are plenty of transfer rumors involving some huge players this morning, hopefully this summer transfer window starts to heat up soon.

The rumor mill seems to be shifting into overdrive in recent days, so here are Tuesday’s biggest transfer rumors around Europe.

Wayne Rooney is at the center of intense transfer speculation, again, with Barcelona said to be the interested party this time. The 27-year-old Manchester United striker put in a transfer request at the end of the 2012-13 season but that was overshadowed by news of Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement. Now Rooney’s future as a Red Devil is back up in the air, with Barca apparently offering $38 million for the England international. Rooney clearly wants out but Chelsea and Real Madrid are also monitoring the situation carefully. Personally I think Barca would be the best fit for him. (The Sun)

Elsewhere, the Edinson Cavani saga has taken a new twist, with Chelsea apparently striking a $75 million deal with Napoli. The Uruguayan forward is certainly on his way out of Napoli, with the 26-year-old set to make over $11 million per season. Il Matador would certainly fit in with Chelsea’s style of play and after Manchester City revealed they wouldn’t be following up their initial interest in Cavani, Chelsea look set to seal his signature. Hopefully this deal gets sorted out, because boy, this one has dragged on. (The Telegraph)

Spanish whizkid Isco looks set for a move to Real Madrid after impressing in Spain’s Under-21 European Championship success. The 21-year-old Malaga attacker won La Liga’s breakthrough player of the year last season and has admitted to Spanish newspaper AS, that a move to Madrid would tempt him. With Carlo Ancelotti now in charge plenty of transfers to and from Real should take place in the coming weeks, Isco joining for around $37.5 million is almost a certainty. (Sky Sports)

Everton are chasing Japanese international Keisuke Honda, with the 27-year-old CSKA Moscow playmaker set to cost around $8 million. Honda impressed new manager Roberto Martinez with his performances at the Confederations Cup. And now he could become Martinez’ first signing as Everton boss. David Moyes has also been pursuing Honda and now it seems as if Martinez will step up the hunt. Honda has 15 goals in 45 games for Japan, but is out of contract with CSKA in January. However AC Milan are said to be waiting in the wings to pick him up on a free. Better act fast, Roberto. (Liverpool Echo)

Southampton are set to step down their interest in Celtic’s highly-rated midfielder Victor Wanyama. The 22-year-old Kenyan has rejected personal terms after his agents were believed to have asked for a $1.5 million fee for facilitating the move. Cardiff City are now set for talks with Wanyama, as he weighs up his options away from Celtic Park. It was only earlier this season that Manchester United and Barcelona were set to be chasing his signature. But perhaps regular minutes at a smaller EPL side would do him good right now? (Daily Mail)

Neymar appears in good shape after Brazil training week

Lars Baron/Getty Images
Leave a comment

TERESOPOLIS, Brazil (AP) Neymar has finished his first full week of training with Brazil in apparent good shape ahead of the upcoming World Cup after foot surgery.

[ MORE: Three things we learned from Real vs. Liverpool ]

The striker continued his recovery Saturday in Brazil’s last training session on home soil before setting camp in London on Monday.

Brazilian football confederation footage shows Neymar passing and dribbling at high speed in training that was closed to the media.

The Brazilian has been recovering from right foot surgery in March.

Brazil players will be off duty until Sunday morning. They travel to London hours later.

Heartbroken Karius issues apology to Liverpool

Twitter/@BBCSport
2 Comments

Liverpool’s disappointing result in Saturday’s UEFA Champions League final can be chalked up to many factors, but all anyone will ever remember is Loris Karius‘ performance… and the goalkeeper knows it.

[ MORE: Bale brace guides Real Madrid to third straight UCL title ]

Karius issued this series of tweets on Sunday, declaring his disappointment from the team’s 3-1 defeat to Real Madrid, as well as an apology to the supporters and his entire club.

Of the two errors Karius made, the Real Madrid equalizer from Karim Benzema was certainly the more glaring.

After receiving the ball on a routine grab, Karius rushed his distribution from goal while Benzema read the play perfectly and stepped in front of the throw to get a foot on the ball.

The ball then deflected into the back of the Liverpool net, and changed the complexion of the match drastically.

While Karius’ mistakes cannot, and won’t, go unnoticed, the Reds were still reeling from Mohamed Salah‘s gruesome shoulder injury in the first half — which leaves the Egypt international’s availability uncertain for the summer’s World Cup in Russia.

Rotherham gains promotion to Championship

Twitter/@BBCSport
Leave a comment

After one season down in League One, the Millers are returning to the Sky Bet Championship in 2018/19.

[ MORE: Tammy Abraham rescues England in Toulon opener ]

Rotherham United defeated Shrewsbury Town, 2-1, in extra time on Sunday at Wembley Stadium to reach the Championship.

Regulation wasn’t enough to decide the League One playoff final, but Richard Wood brace ensured his side, Rotherham, would reach the English second division ahead of the 2018/19 season.

Wood did superbly to volley home his squad’s second goal in the first half of extra time, after a brilliant Joe Newell set piece curled into the path of the defender.

Shrewsbury equalized around the hour mark when Alex Rodman calmly placed the ball beyond goalkeeper Marek Rodak from close ranger after a perfectly-executed set piece that caught the Millers off guard.

The first half went largely in favor Rotherham though, having taken the lead in the 32nd minute through Wood’s header to the bottom left corner.

The lead should have been larger though heading into halftime, but David Ball’s early penalty kick was saved by Shrews keeper Dean Henderson in the ninth minute to keep the match scoreless at the time.

Transfer rumor roundup: Man United plans Joe Hart move and more

Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Pro Soccer Talk takes a glance at some of the biggest transfer rumors on Sunday…

[ MORE: Bale brace guides Real to third straight UCL title ]


We start in Manchester, where the Red Devils are reportedly interested in raiding their cross-town rivals for a back-up goalkeeper.

Man United is said to have interest in Manchester City’s Joe Hart, who missed out on being called up to England for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

Hart has spent the last two seasons on loan from the Citizens, spending 2016/17 in Serie A with Torino and this past season with West Ham United.


Sticking with United, the Red Devils are preparing a new contract for Anthony Martial, according to the Sun.

Martial has become a regular for United since joining from Monaco in 2015, scoring 36 goals in all competitions.


Finally, Danny Rose could be making a Merseyside move if Everton has it their way.

The Toffees are eyeing up the Tottenham left back, although Manchester United has also expressed its interest in the England international.

Rose missed a significant portion of the 2017/18 season due to a knee injury, and the 27-year-old could be on the move this summer despite spending the last 11 seasons in London with Spurs.