David Moyes discusses Manchester United’s aims, Ferguson, Mourinho and more

Leave a comment

Despite answering plenty of questions about Wayne Rooney’s future during his first press conference as Manchester United, David Moyes had lots more to say.

The 50-year-old Scotsman was coolness personified as he rattled through answers from the huge number of journalists assembled at Old Trafford.

One of the nicest anecdotes to come from the press conference was the story of how Moyes found out he was going to become the manager of Manchester United.

Moyes joked that he wasn’t given an option and recalls how Fergie invited him to his house and said, “I’m retiring, next week, and you are the next Manchster United manager.” Moyes said. “The blood drained from my face. I was really shocked but incredibly thrilled.”

Moyes also touched on the welcome he has received since arriving at United on July 1.

“Sir Alex and the board have been unbelievably supportive. Sir Bobby Charlton came in and saw me and I was thrilled about that. That was certainly something that I enjoyed.”

(MORE: Wayne Rooney not for sale, will remain at Manchester United)

Claims earlier today suggested that Sir Alex will be on the peripheral and won’t get involved in Moyes’ first few months at the helm. Some suggestions claimed that Ferguson would be in a private box out of the public eye to watch the first games of Moyes’ reign, in an attempt to not heap more pressure on the former Everton boss.

I hope Sir Alex Ferguson is sitting in the directors box,” Moyes said. “He’s been so good. I’ve already called him for advice a couple of times on a couple of matters. I asked Rene to stay but he felt it was to fair on me to go it alone. The Glazers have been great since I got here and so has the new chief executive.”

(MORE: Ferguson aims to stay away as Moyes settles in at United)

And despite Ferguson’s departure as the main man at United, Moyes knows only too well that there will be constant reminders of the legend he has to follow.

“This a new era but Sir Alex Ferguson will never go away,” said Moyes. “He’ll always be here – you can see his statue, you can see his stand, and he’s certainly someone I’ll go to. Hopefully, the supporters will realise it was his time to finish and time for someone else.”

While the other man many believed was in the running for the United job was José Mourinho. And Moyes admitted he is excited to face Chelsea’s new manager this season.

“I’m really happy to see José back in the Premier league. For the first time there has been a big shake-up in the Premier League and I’m looking forward to being involved in it.”

Reina faces hearing over links with trio connected to mafia

Claudio Villa/Getty Images
Leave a comment

ROME (AP) Outgoing Napoli goalkeeper Pepe Reina has been summoned to a hearing at the Italian football federation over his association with people with links to the mafia.

Reina, along with Paolo Cannavaro and Salvatore Aronica, is to face the FIGC’s disciplinary committee after an investigation by Naples’ anti-mafia department.

It is reportedly one of the reasons why Napoli decided not to renew Reina’s contract, with the former Liverpool goalkeeper set to move to AC Milan on a free transfer.

The FIGC says Reina “has had and continues to have inopportune association and friendship with Gabriele Esposito, Francesco Esposito and Giuseppe Esposito.” It adds that that includes holidays and “an exchange of favors.”

Cannavaro, who had two spells with Napoli, retired at Sassuolo last year. Aronica also spent several years at the southern club before joining Palermo in 2013.

Iran names initial squad for World Cup

Twitter/@Futbolestodo
Leave a comment

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) Jalal Hosseini and Vouria Ghaffouri have both been left off Iran’s provisional 24-man squad for the World Cup.

Iran coach Carlos Queiroz did not say why Hosseini, a Persepolis defender, and Ghaffouri were not included.

There was space for midfielders Masoud Shojaei and Ehsan Hajsafi, however. Both played with Greek club Panionios against Maccabi Tel Aviv in August 2017. Iran does not recognize Israel and its supreme leader has threatened the country in the past. Both Shojaei and Hajsafi missed matches with the national team after the game.

Alireza Jahanbakhsh, a 24-year-old forward who plays in the Netherlands with AZ Alkmaar, is also in the squad, which was announced Sunday.

In the midfield, Queiroz chose Saeid Ezatolahi, although the Amkar Perm player will miss the team’s first World Cup match because he was given a red card in a game against South Korea in qualifying.

Nottingham Forest midfielder Ashkan Dejagah was also chosen.

Goalkeeper Amir Abedzadeh of Portuguese club Maritimo made the squad. His father, Ahmadreza Abedzadeh, was Iran captain and goalkeeper at the 1998 World Cup in France.

Iran will play in Group B at the World Cup with Portugal, Spain and Morocco. The team will play warm-up matches in Turkey and Greece before heading to Russia.

Goalkeepers: Alireza Beiranvand (Persepolis), Rashid Mazaheri (Zob Ahan), Amir Abedzadeh (Maritimo)

Defenders: Ramin Rezaeian (KV Oostende), Mohammad Reza Khanzadeh (Padideh), Morteza Pouraliganji (Al Saad), Pejman Montazeri (Esteghlal), Seyed Majid Hosseini (Esteghlal), Milad Mohammadi (Akhmat Grozny), Roozbeh Cheshmi (Esteghlal)

Midfielders: Saeid Ezatolahi (Amkar Perm), Masoud Shojaei (AEK Athens), Mehdi Torabi (Saipa), Ashkan Dejagah (Nottingham Forest), Omid Ebrahimi (Esteghlal), Ehsan Hajsafi (Olympiakos), Vahid Amiri (Persepolis), Saman Ghoddos (Ostersunds FK), Ali Gholizadeh (Saipa)

Forwards: Alireza Jahanbakhsh (AZ Alkmaar), Karim Ansarifard (Olympiakos), Mahdi Taremi (Al-Gharafa Sports Club), Sardar Azmoun (Rubin Kazan), Reza Ghoochannejhad (SC Heerenveen)

Six Premier Leaguers named to Argentina, but no Icardi

Epsilon/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Argentina’s World Cup roster features a number of the usual suspects, particularly up front, but Serie A’s top goalscorer has been surprisingly left off the list of 23.

[ MORE: Belgium goes to World Cup without Nainggolan ]

Manager Jorge Sampaoli’s squad was made official on Monday, which includes the likes of Lionel Messi, Sergio Aguero and Gonzalo Higuain.

The Albiceleste won’t be taking Inter Milan striker Mauro Icardi though, which has raised some questions about the decision.

Icardi led all scorers in Italy’s top flight this season, scoring 29 goals in 34 Serie A matches, while Paulo Dybala edged out the final striker spot in the Argentina squad.

Dybala is teammates with Higuain at Italian giants Juventus.

Meanwhile, six Premier League players were named into the South American nation’s squad, including goalkeepers Sergio Romero (Man United) and Willy Caballero (Chelsea), as well as Nicolas Otamendi (Man City), Marcos Rojo (Man United) and Manuel Lanzini (West Ham).

Men in Blazers POD: FA Cup recap, UCL final preview and more

Catherine Ivill/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Rog and Davo recap a spite-fueled, snear-filled, peak Phil Jones FA Cup Final, preview this weekend’s Champions League tilt between Liverpool and Real Madrid and eulogize Big Sam… gone the opposite of too soon. Plus, World Cup rosters and MLS.

All of the MiB content — pods, videos and stories can be seen here, but to really stay in touch, follow, subscribe, click here:

Subscribe to the podcast OR to update your iTunes subscriptions ]

Click here for the RSS feed ]