Is David Moyes conceding defeat in his pursuit of Cesc Fabregas?

4 Comments

It’s looking like Manchester United boss David Moyes may finally be giving up on his pursuit of Cesc Fabregas.

The Red Devils have failed with two bids for the Spanish playmaker, the latest of which is understood to be $46.2 million (£30m), plus add-ons.

The Old Trafford boss hinted at a pull-out earlier in the day. “I couldn’t tell you if there will be another bid,” Moyes said. “Obviously we will take stock of it and consider what we are going to do next.”

Earlier in the week, Moyes appeared poised to submit a third bid for the former Arsenal midfielder, noting that the Premier League champions attempts at signing Fabregas were “ongoing.”

That intent appears to have been dulled by new Barcelona manager Gerardo Martino, who spoke on the Fabregas issue on Friday. “I’m not going to get into the economic interests but, if the club rejected it twice, I add a third one right now,” Martino said. “He will be staying here.”

Previous to Martino’s statement, Moyes, perhaps unrealistically, believed United still had some wiggle room to get a deal for Fabregas done. He not only disregarded the assertions from Gerard Pique, Alex Song and other Barcelona ‘sources’ who claimed that the 26 year old would be playing at the Camp Nou in 2013-14, but he also turned a dull ear to Fabregas’ own expressed desire made earlier this summer to remain at his boyhood club.

Instead of risking the embarrassment of a third rejected bid, Moyes is now talking up his club’s pre-existing talent. “What we have here is a really good squad of players already. You mustn’t forget about the quality that is already here at Manchester United.”

Yet even with that talent, Moyes is still hoping to do some business. “Undoubtedly we are hoping to add to the squad. I am quite confident we will do, certainly before the window shuts.”

With Fabregas (mostly) out of the picture, most expect Moyes to turn his focus to Real Madrid deep lying playmaker Luka Modric. Other candidates to bring into the middle of the park include Newcastle’s Yohan Cabaye, Everton’s Marouane Fellaini and PSG’s Marco Verratti.