Luis Suárez says he will stay at Liverpool

9 Comments

Reports this morning suggest the unthinkable is happening.

It sounds like controversial Uruguayan forward Luis Suárez is about to make a U-turn of epic proportions.

Suárez, 26, spoke to Uruguayan newspaper El Observador while on international duty for La Celeste in Japan. He stated that he wishes to remain at Liverpool following the huge support he’s received from the fans.

“For now, due to all of the people’s affection, I will be staying.”

Other reports suggested that Suárez told journalists he will be staying at Liverpool and could even sign a new contract to stay at the club…

Is this really happening? Liverpool said they’ve yet to hear form the wantaway striker, but this is pretty groundbreaking news. There are plenty of contrasting reports out there as the news continues to filter through.

(MORE: Luis Suárez refuses to apologize, as saga enters new low)

Following Arsenal’s long pursuit of the player throughout the summer, the Suárez saga hit an impasse last week when Liverpool’s American owner John W Henry insisted Suárez would not be sold at any price.

Since then, Suárez has been ordered to train on his own and his efforts in training have noticeably dipped according to sources inside the club. After threatening to sue the club for breach of contract following a transfer to Arsenal was blocked, the Suárez story has reached murky waters.

(MORE: In latest twist, Liverpool’s American owner says Suárez is not for sale)

With the Gunners thought to have triggered a clause by offering £40 million and £1 to try and talk to Suárez, Liverpool rejected that such a clause existed and Suárez kicked off. With other clubs also interested, the Uruguayan star wanted out. He tried to get the Professional Footballer Association (PFA) involved and they instructed him that Liverpool were correct and he couldn’t speak to Arsenal about a transfer.

The relationship between the player and the club has deteriorated further since then.

But now it seems as though Liverpool’s notoriously passionate fans have struck a chord with Suárez. They’ve stood by him, despite his fallout’s with the manager, teammates, the directors and pretty much everyone else in English soccer.

(MORE: Suárez receives 10-game ban after biting Branislav Ivanovic)

It will be interesting to see how this one plays out. The comments from Japan this morning almost suggest that Suárez is reluctantly accepting his fate and is fed up of requesting an Anfield exit. He will miss the first six games of the season, following his ban for biting Branislav Ivanovic at the end of last season. But it now seems likely we’ll see Suárez lining up for Liverpool when he returns to Premier League action.

Suárez scored in Uruguay’s 4-2 win over Japan on Wednesday, and now he will return to England to try and sort out this sorry mess. After upsetting manager Brendan Rodgers, the owner and many fans and pundits across the Premier League, will Suárez finally admit the error of his ways by apologizing and concentrating solely on playing soccer?

I hope so. But don’t hold your breath folks. We still haven’t heard the last of this.