Roberto Martinez calls Manchester United’s bid for Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines a “waste of time”

1 Comment

Sky Sports is reporting that Everton manager Roberto Martinez has labeled Manchester United’s $44 million (£28m) bid for Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines a “waste of time.”

The offer, launched by former Everton manager David Moyes, was made late last week. On Sunday the Liverpool-based club revealed the bid, calling it “derisory and insulting” and noting that it was immediately rejected.

On Tuesday, Martinez provided more food-for-thought for would-be buyers. “It’s been well documented what happened with the transfer speculation. That’s been dealt with and it was all a little bit of a waste of time, time I don’t want the players to waste.”

Echoing the opinion of Newcastle manager Alan Pardew, Martinez continued: “I’m not a big believer in having the window open while the games are starting. I think the start of the season was important for us at Norwich and I won’t come out now and carry on talking about the speculation.”

More: Alan Pardew wants the transfer window to change

Martinez’s words further appealed to Evertonians by noting his preference for open discourse. “I think, as a football club, we will always keep our fans informed. When there is something to tell our fans we will do that, they’ll be the first ones to know if there are any players coming in or any players going out.”

Despite Martinez’ contention that he doesn’t “believe in getting involved in the transfer window when the games are underway,” The Guardian is reporting that he may well need to as United are now preparing a split bid for Fellaini and Baines.

While the paper does not forecast what that split bid would be but the original offer of $44m has been forecasted to value Fellaini at $25 million (£16m) and Baines at $19 million (£12m). At such a fee United were pushing hard for a bargain deal on both men as $25m for Fellaini was $2.5 million less than what the Merseyside club paid for the Belgian in 2008 and the $19m for Baines was the same sum the Toffees rejected from United earlier this summer. Thus, the reason for Everton finding the bid “derisory and insulting.”

The general consensus at Goodison Park is that Leighton Baines is not going anywhere. The full-back claims he is happy at the Toffees and United’s need for him is minimal considering the form of Patrice Evra (not to mention back-up Alexander Büttner).

Fellaini, however, is another story as Martinez did not rule out selling the Belgian when outlining his contractual position at Everton last week, saying “if there is an offer on the table then we will have to look into it.”

That said, most believe the Toffees will drive a hard bargain and insist United come close to Fellaini’s (now expired) $37 million (£23.5m) buy-out clause.

Transfer rumor roundup: Chelsea in for Pjanic; Lozano to Juventus?

Paolo Bruno/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Pro Soccer Talk examines some of Thursday’s top transfer stories, including a Premier League giant looking to add to its midfield.

[ MORE: Uruguay reaches Round of 16 courtesy of Luis Suarez ]


Chelsea could be set to join Barcelona in the race for Juventus midfielder Miralem Pjanic, according to the Daily Mail.

The Blues and new manager Maurizio Sarri are said to be open to looking to Serie A to solve some of the team’s troubled areas, including in the center of the park to join France international N'Golo Kante.

Sarri is already said to be keen on signing Napoli star Dries Mertens, whom he has coached for several years at the Stadio San Paolo


Meanwhile, Juve has interest in a World Cup star, with Mexico’s Hirving Lozano attracting significant looks from around the world.

Lozano scored for El Tri in their 1-0 victory over Germany to open their 2018 World Cup campaign, and has become an instant star in the Dutch Eredivisie with PSV Eindhoven.

PSV would reportedly be willing to complete a deal if the Serie A champions shell out over $40 million.


Sticking with Juve, Emre Can‘s move to the Turin side appears to be close to finalization.

Can is set to have a medical in Italy on Thursday, as the 24-year-old anticipates completing a five-year contract with the Serie A giants.


Finally, West Ham United is looking to add to its attacking options next season, and the club could be nearing a record move.

Lazio winger Felipe Anderson is reportedly set to come to the London Stadium in 2018/19 as the Hammers prepare a $46 million deal.

Anderson tallied four goals in 21 Serie A matches last season for the Biancocelesti.

RB Leipzig names Julian Nagelsmann future manager

Dominik Fluegel/dpa via AP
Leave a comment

Julian Nagelsmann won’t take over at his new club until the 2019/20 season, but Red Bull Leipzig has put a lot of confidence in one of the youngest managers in global football.

[ MORE: Ronaldo’s tally gives Portugal win over Morocco ]

On Thursday, the Bundesliga side announced the appointment of the Hoffenheim coach, who will continue in his current capacity for the upcoming 2018/19 German campaign.

Nagelsmann signs on with Leipzig until the conclusion of the 2022/23 season.

The 30-year-old has spent two seasons managing Hoffenheim, guiding the club to back-to-back top-four finishes in the Bundesliga.

Leipzig is currently without a manager ahead of the next season, so it remains unclear who will take over until Nagelsmann assumes his role in 2019.

France eliminates Peru en route to knockout phase

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Peru’s loss was France’s gain on Thursday, as Les Bleus reached the Round of 16 with one match remaining in Group C play.

The French knocked off Peru, 1-0, as Didier Deschamps and his side eliminated their South American foe from the 2018 World Cup.

[ MORE: Latest 2018 World Cup news ] 

Both Denmark and Australia — who drew 1-1 earlier on Thursday — are still alive in their efforts of advancing to the knockout rounds.

He looked to be one of the best players on the pitch once again, and Kylian Mbappe rightfully scored a tap in to give France the lead beyond the half-hour mark following a deflected cross from Olivier Giroud.

Paul Pogba was at the center of the goal as well, after nicking the ball away from Peru’s Paolo Guerrero inside the South American side’s half of the field.

Gallese made his first crucial stop in the 16th minute, when a link-up between Giroud and Antoine Griezmann forced a kick save from the Peru goalkeeper.

The Peruvians began to use their pace as the first half wore on, and Guerrero nearly scored his first goal of the tournament in the 31st minute, but Hugo Lloris was positioned well to make a save.

Paul Pogba came right back the other way just two minutes later though, and played a brilliant lofted ball into Mbappe, who couldn’t flick it past Gallese.

The Peruvians didn’t waste any time in the second stanza, and nearly came out to a flying start as Pedro Aquino struck woodwork with a brilliant outside-the-foot technique from distance.

Click here for live and on demand coverage of the World Cup online and via the NBC Sports App.

France closes out Group C play with a meeting against Denmark, while Peru hopes to spoil Australia’s chances of qualifying for the knockout phase.

Video: Mbappe taps home to give France first blood

Catherine Ivill/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The match is really opening up now, and France has begun to assert itself with an opener just beyond the half-hour mark.

[ MORE: Denmark, Australia draw, leaving Group C wide open ]

Kylian Mbappe has given Les Bleus a 1-0 lead over Peru after a deflected Olivier Giroud cross found the Monaco attacker just in front of goal for a tap-in finish.

The sequence began after Paul Pogba dispossessed Peru deep in their own half, before dishing the ball off to Giroud.

The goal for Mbappe is his first at a World Cup, as the 19-year-old continues to impress for both club and country.