Is Liverpool FC’s Anfield redevelopment the best option?

Leave a comment

Some stadiums across the globe are hallowed ground.

Exactly how they reach that status can be determined by a whole host of factors, but they just have something special about them that sets them apart from the rest. A certain smell, an aura as you walk through the gates and an atmosphere that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

Liverpool Football Club’s Anfield home is one of those iconic sporting venues across the world. That’s exactly why the decision to expand the capacity at Anfield rather than build a brand-new stadium in the suburbs is the right option.

On Wednesday morning American owner John W Henry gave an update on the Premier League sides planned redevelopment of their 122 year home, and believes work will start soon.

“We are making good progress,” Henry said. “There are a lot of different groups working very well together and that’s the key to a big project like this happening, when everybody is on the same page. When everybody is on the same page, we move forward.”

Henry, Liverpool FC and locals have been trying to hammer out a deal for quite some time and this saga looks to be coming to an end. The big obstacle to overcome is buying the remaining houses that are located directly next to Liverpool’s stadium as they need to be demolished as the current Main Stand and Anfield Road end are extended. However should a new ground be built to add extra infrastructure and allow Liverpool to expand the capacity even further in the future?

You only have to look at Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium to see what a huge commercial success that has been. Despite the huge costs up front, the Gunners are now benefiting from attracting 60,000 fans a week and could expand further with endless possibilities.

(MORE: Liverpool plan Anfield expansion, but will it be enough?)

But the idea is to make Anfield into a 60,000 seater stadium, so only Manchester United would have a bigger capacity in the entire Premier League.

Most of Liverpool’s fans are anxious to see the plans pushed through after almost a decade of failed stadium attempts under several different ownership groups. And just like he did with the redevelopment of Fenway Park as owner of the Boston Red Sox, Henry has promised that Anfield will be upgraded tastefully and funds will be available for the project.

“I think we were clear at one point that what made financial sense was going in this direction – and this is the direction that makes financial sense for the club for a long time,” Henry said. “Obstacles are being overcome. We have always said you have to have certainty with regard to the properties because of the height of the stand and all of the issues regarding that. So that’s been the biggest issue.”

I definitely agree with this approach to safeguard Liverpool’s home at Anfield instead of building an entirely different stadium that would totally lose the character and historic vibe that Liverpool’s home exudes.

Previous American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett couldn’t get the funding to build a brand new stadium but if they had been successful huge levels of debt would have put Liverpool in a perilous situation. The decision by Henry and Fenway Sports Group to add 15,000 seats to Anfield and increase the capacity to 60,000 is a win for nostalgia and fans of the beautiful game.

Seeing stadiums like Highbury and Maine Road demolished were sad, but needed in the case of Arsenal and Manchester City who simply couldn’t renovate further. Liverpool’s decision to kick on with the renovations of their historic home should please all soccer fans.

One of the most inspiring stadiums in world soccer is here to stay. Or so it seems.

Video: Ronaldo scores fourth goal, gives Portugal early lead

Maddie Meyer/Getty Images
Leave a comment

He has four goals in less than two matches, and Portugal is off to another flying start courtesy of their star forward.

[ MORE: Latest 2018 World Cup news ] 

Cristiano Ronaldo gave the Portuguese a 1-0 lead against Morocco in the fourth minute after brilliantly heading home a corner kick.

The Real Madrid star gave Portugal a similar spark at the beginning of their 3-3 draw against Spain in their first Group B match when Ronaldo drew, and scored a penalty kick inside of the opening three minutes.

Is there anything this man cannot do?

Reports: Alli unlikely to play in England’s second Group G match

AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth
Leave a comment

The Three Lions may not have taken all good news away from the team’s 2-1 win over Tunisia in their World Cup opener.

[ MORE: Russia races past Egypt, likely en route to next round ]

Several reports are suggesting that England will likely be without Tottenham playmaker Dele Alli in their second Group G match against Panama on Sunday.

Alli was forced out of England’s opener with a thigh strain, which gave manager Gareth Southgate the decision to put in Chelsea midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek.

There isn’t a timetable for the 22-year-old’s return to the pitch, but his absence will definitely present a major question for Southgate heading into the rest of group play.

Without Alli in the starting XI, it’ll likely be between Loftus-Cheek and Manchester United’s Jesse Lingard to fill the role where Alli normally sits.

In the case of Lingard, who started against Tunisia, the England boss would have to bring in another starter if Southgate opts to have the Red Devils attacker sit in as the number 10.

Report: Newcastle activates $12m release clause of ex-Arsenal youth

Photo by Burak Kara/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Reports out of Turkey say Newcastle United have finally struck the transfer market for a new No. 10.

[ MORE: West Ham adds Diop ]

Aksam reports that Rafa Benitez got the Magpies hierarchy to activate a near $12 million release clause for Besiktas midfielder Oguzhan Ozyakup.

The 25-year-old was part of Arsenal’s youth set-up until 2012, making two League Cup appearances in 2011-12 before moving to Besiktas.

Dutch-born Ozyakup is 35-times capped with a goal for Turkey, twice captaining the Crescent-Stars.

Ozyakup lost playing time to Talisca this season, and registered just four assists in 24 appearances. In 219 appearances for Besiktas, he’s posted 27 goals with 50 assists.

Like the move for Newcastle?

Lukaku pens inspiring post on hard-scrabble upbringing

AP Photo/Matthias Schrader
Leave a comment

Manchester United and Belgium striker Romelu Lukaku has an inspiring and emotional post in The Players’ Tribune which tugs at the heart strings and explains his competitive fire.

[ MORE: West Ham adds Diop ]

Lukaku talks about how his family’s poverty caused him to become a fierce competitor in the hopes of meeting his dreams head-on and providing for his family.

The Belgian, 25, scored twice in his side’s 3-0 World Cup-opening win over Panama earlier this week, and is now far removed from his youth, but he tells his story as if it lives fresh in his mind.

From The Players’ Tribune:

There were even times when my mum had to “borrow” bread from the bakery down the street. The bakers knew me and my little brother, so they’d let her take a loaf of bread on Monday and pay them back on Friday.

Lukaku also talks about racism in football, his debut for Anderlecht, and that aforementioned competitive drive. It’s 100 percent worth the read.