Manuel Pellegrini slams pitch ahead of Manchester City’s Champions League clash with CSKA Moscow

Leave a comment

Ahead of a tricky trip to Russia on Wednesday to face CSKA Moscow (12pm ET, reaction to come on ProSoccerTalk) in a pivotal Champions League tie, Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini isn’t happy with the playing surface.

Not at all.

The 62-year-old Chilean manager, whose side were humbled at home 3-1 by Bayern Munich in their last Champions League outing, believes the grass pitch heavily doused with sand in the Russian capital is unplayable and hampers his sides chances of success.

“I have just seen the pitch and I think it is unbelievable that the most important cup competition in the world is allowed to stage a game on such a surface,” Pellegrini said. “We must pray on Wednesday that it is not raining because if it is it will be impossible to play on this pitch. I honestly believe it could be called off if we get more rain.”

(MORE: Champions League Preview – Elite’s meet in Madrid, City’s big group stage test)

So far on Wednesday rain has not threatened the game further, however Pellegrini still strongly asserts his belief that the issues with the pitch must be addressed.

“Of course I am surprised it is going ahead, especially as they were not allowed to play their other game here against Plzen and had to switch it to St Petersburg,” Pellegrini said. “I think the people from UEFA who reviewed the pitch should have said without hesitation that it was not acceptable.”

Injuries to his players was at the forefront of Pellegrini’s mind, but he does believe the poor surface will ruin the spectacle, especially as City prefer to caress the call around with panache, rather than a long ball approach they’ll have to take more often than not on Wednesday.

“As long as it is not raining there will be no risk of injury for the players but the fact is it is not a grass pitch. When I saw it I didn’t believe my eyes. This is the most important competition in the world and the people watching, as well as the two teams, deserve something better.”

City, who looked slick and back to their best during their 3-1 demolition of West Ham on Saturday, know back-to-back wins against CSKA will seem them almost guarantee a spot in the UCL knockout stages, something Roberto Mancini failed to do in the last two seasons.

Yet the tricky surface will make City’s task of picking up three points even more difficult. With the likes of David Silva, Yaya Toure, Samir Nasri et al. preferring to play on a smooth surface and knock the ball about, you can understand Pellegrini being irked.

A long midweek trip East to Moscow, sandwiched in between tough league games against West Ham and Chelsea, isn’t exactly ideal in the first place.

Pellegrini’s anger about the pitch is intriguing and it certainly hits home how reliant modern teams, and especially City, are on having a nice pitch to play on. But given his mind games at the weekend, more on that in the latest Premier League Playback, is the Citizens’ boss simply setting up excuses if his team fail to bring back the win from Moscow?

I fear Pellegrini is protecting his players against a potentially damaging defeat, but using the pitch as an excuse really shouldn’t cut it with City’s supporters.

Success in the Champions League is long overdue. Dodgy pitch or not, Pellegrini’s side need to get their heads down and do the business.

Lets see how this one goes…

MLS: Techera’s hat trick; Gordon the hero (again) for Chicago

Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press via AP
Leave a comment

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) Cristian Techera scored three second-half goals and the Vancouver Whitecaps overcame several defensive errors to tie the New England Revolution 3-3 on Saturday.

Techera completed the hat trick in the 74th minute off a pass from striker Yordy Reyna.

The Whitecaps (4-5-5) are winless in five games and have just one victory in their past nine matches (1-4-4). New England is 5-4-3.

Vancouver trailed 2-0 early in the second half.

Whitecaps defender Aly Ghazal had an own goal and made a poor pass that helped set up a goal by New England’s Teal Bunbury. Another Revolution goal came after defender Sean Franklin mishandled a ball.

Techera made it 2-1 in the 49th minute off a cross from Marcel de Jong. Russell Teibert set up Techera again two minutes later, with Techera scoring on a header after goalkeeper Matt Turner stopped the first shot.

Bunbury gave New England a 3-2 lead in the 59th minute after Ghazal’s weak pass was picked off.

Cristian Penilla also scored for New England.


ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Alan Gordon broke a tie in the 82nd minute and the Chicago Fire beat Orlando City 2-1 on Saturday night.

Gordon settled Bastian Schweinsteiger’s cross with a couple of touches at 25 yards from goal and fired a rocket into the upper right corner past goalkeeper Joe Bendik’s outstretched hand.

Chicago’s Mohammed Adams was sent off in the 89th minute for violent conduct, but the Fire (4-6-2) held on from there, including six minutes of stoppage time, to end a two-game losing streak.

Orlando City (6-5-1) has lost three straight after winning six in a row.

Aleksandar Katai gave Chicago the lead on a free kick in the 13th minute.

Cristian Higuita tied it for Orlando City in the 28th minute, slotting a right-footed shot inside the far post after getting sprung free by Chris Mueller’s short pass to the right side of the penalty area.

Patrick McLain had four saves for his first MLS win.

Walker hopes young England squad proves more “streetwise”

Photo by Dean Mouhtaropoulos/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Kyle Walker, who finds himself one of England’s youthful elder statesman ahead of next month’s World Cup, believes Gareth Southgate‘s 23-man squad has a “different vibe” around it and hopes that vibe will aid in galvanizing the Three Lions when they arrive in Russia.

[ MORE: Ronaldo hints at Real Madrid exit | Bale does the same ]

Iterations past, as Walker sees it, lacked a certain “streetwise” sense about them; not that they weren’t always a hard-working bunch, but that they lacked the understanding to play smarter, not harder, in certain moments.

Walker, who missed out on the 2014 World Cup due to an injury suffered not long before the tournament in Brazil, feels he’s matured a great deal during his first 12 months at Manchester City, under Pep Guardiola, and he’s ready to impart some of that wisdom on the rest of the squad, with the help of a few of his Man City teammates — quotes from the Guardian:

“The whole vibe around England now is completely different. It is a younger set of players and we are taking huge steps in the right direction but we still probably need to get more streetwise.

“English footballers are honest, they will run for 90-odd minutes, but that is not always what you need. Sometimes you need to rein back a bit and try and control the game with your passing.

“When we come up against Belgium, say, it could be a deciding game but we need to realize that we don’t have to score in the first 10 minutes. If you can control the game you can wait until the 80th minute or longer if necessary. I’m trying to bring that calmness from Manchester City, and so is John [Stones].

“I’ve adapted my own game a bit since changing club. I stay back a bit more. When I was at Tottenham the fans wanted attack, attack, attack but, if you send too many bodies forward, you are liable for the counter. With England we are working in training on controlling situations a little better. If we can make it work on the pitch we will hopefully have a good tournament.”

[ UCL FINAL: Player ratings | Three things we learned ]

Whether or not Walker plays right back — where he’s spent the majority of his career — or on the right side of a back-three, he’ll be second-most senior member of a defensive unity which is nearly untested in major tournaments.

Of the nine defenders chosen in the squad, only Gary Cahill (58 – the only player over 40) and Walker have made more than 30 appearances for England. Of the 23 players chosen throughout the entire squad, the average number of caps won is 19.5.

Platini vows to return to soccer after “end of long nightmare”

Photo by Shaun Botterill/Getty Images
Leave a comment

PARIS (AP) Banned former UEFA President and FIFA vice president Michel Platini says he is planning to return to soccer after Swiss federal prosecutors confirmed he was not being charged in an investigation into possible financial wrongdoing.

[ MORE: Real Madrid 3-1 Liverpool — Los Blancos make it three straight ]

Platini says in a statement it’s “the end of a long nightmare for my family and those close to me.”

Since September 2015, the former France midfielder had the status of “between a witness and an accused person” in criminal proceedings opened against then-FIFA President Sepp Blatter. No criminal case was ever opened against Platini.

The evidence related to Blatter authorizing FIFA to pay Platini $2 million in uncontracted back salary in 2011.

[ MORE: Ronaldo hints at Real Madrid exit | Bale does the same ]

FIFA’s ethics committee also investigated Platini’s request to FIFA for pension contributions he was not entitled to. It was agreed by Blatter and added more than $1 million to Platini’s retirement fund.

Platini was eventually banned for four years, through October 2019. Both he and Blatter denied wrongdoing but Court of Arbitration for Sport judges refused to overturn his ban and that of Blatter’s.

[ UCL FINAL: Player ratings | Three things we learned ]

The case meant Platini was removed from the UEFA presidency and he was barred from trying to succeed Blatter as FIFA president in 2016.

Platini, a former France captain and coach, says “I will come back: where, when, how? It’s too early to say. But I will come back into football.

“Because football is my life and I deny anyone the right to deprive me of my life,” the 62-year-old Platini says.

Neymar appears in good shape after first week with Brazil

Photo by Buda Mendes/Getty Images
1 Comment

TERESOPOLIS, Brazil (AP) Neymar finished his first full week of training with Brazil on Saturday in apparent good shape ahead of the upcoming World Cup after foot surgery.

The striker continued his recovery, dribbling and passing at high speed in Brazil’s last training session on home soil before the national team sets up camp in London on Monday.

The Brazilian has been recovering from right foot surgery in March.

[ MORE: Neymar “annoyed” by latest (and constant) transfer speculation ]

Earlier in the week, members of Brazil’s coaching staff said Neymar was fit to train but they tried to reduce pressure on him by saying it would take time until he delivered his best performances.

Left back Filipe Luis said Neymar did well in training but still needs to forget the injury.

“I had a serious injury in 2010 and I came back with fear. In the first chance I had in a game, I went with it all so I could lose that fear. I saw it didn’t hurt and I just forgot,” Luis said. “It will be the same with Neymar, the first time an opponent kicks him … he will forget it.”

In the first training session in Teresopolis, outside Rio de Janeiro, Neymar occasionally dragged his right foot onto the pitch. On Thursday he took his right boot off, sat down for a few minutes and looked upset. Once the football was underway, he seemed as fit as his teammates despite accidentally kicking the pitch with his injured foot. He soon afterward got back in action.

[ MORE: Messi: It would be ‘terrible’ to see Neymar at Real Madrid ]

In the first and only Brazil open training session, with fans screaming his name on the sidelines, a playful Neymar nutmegged right-back Danilo and flipped the ball over Luis’ head.

Throughout the week Neymar showed his finishing was sharpening, especially from close range.

After Saturday’s training Neymar welcomed his girlfriend, actress Bruna Marquezine, and family members to the Granja Comary training ground.

With Brazil players off duty for the rest of the day, Neymar is expected to take some teammates back to his mansion in Mangaratiba, near Rio.

The 20-strong squad will meet again Sunday morning at the Brazilian football confederation headquarters in a visit to their museum.

Players then travel to London hours later and will set up camp until June 8 at Tottenham’s training ground.