World Cup stadium in Brazil partially collapses; two dead, another seriously injured

5 Comments

Reports say two people have died and another has been seriously injured after part of the stadium set to host the World Cup opening match in Brazil partially collapsed early Wednesday.

Initial reports said three people had been killed but that number was later revised.

According to Sky Sports, a collapsing crane destroyed part of the stands at Itaquerao Stadium in Sao Paolo. The building was 94 percent complete.

There is a FIFA mandate that says all World Cup venues must be complete by December. Some construction sites have been said to be under construction on an everyday, every hour basis to meet the start of the competition.

FIFA released the following statement:

 “FIFA and the LOC (local organising committee) have learnt of the death of workers at the Corinthian’s Arena site in Sao Paulo with great sadness. We wish to send our heartfelt condolences to the family of the workers who tragically died today. The safety of workers is the top priority for FIFA, the LOC, the federal government. We know the safety of all workers has always been paramount for all the construction companies contracted to build the 12 FIFA World Cup stadiums. The local authorities will fully investigate the reasons behind such a tragic accident.”

Sport Club Corinthians, who own the stadium which will host a total of six World Cup matches, released a statement on the collapse:

“The board of Sport Club Corinthians Paulista hereby deeply regret the accident earlier in Corinthians Arena. No other information at this time.”

Another stadium in Brazil, the Arena Fonte Nova, had a roof collapse prior to the Confederations Cup in the summer.