Liverpool set to open contract talks with Luis Suarez, why he should be handed a blank check

5 Comments

On Friday morning Brendan Rodgers announced that Liverpool are preparing themselves to sit down with star striker Luis Suarez and work on a potential new contract.

Suarez, 26, has been in scintillating form since returning from his ban earlier this season and has scored 13 goals in just nine PL games.

The Uruguayan forward is in the form of his life and with that in mind, Liverpool are looking to tie him down to a long-term deal at Anfield. Suarez still has two and a half years left on his current deal but with the World Cup coming up and the feisty striker set to be a star in Brazil, Liverpool will be hoping he commits his future to the Premier League side.

Of course you will remember the protracted transfer saga surrounding Suarez throughout the past summer when he stated he wanted to leave Liverpool and Arsenal put in a bid, whilst Real Madrid, Chelsea and others were sniffing around. But after all that, Suarez looks happy and at home at Liverpool and his four stunning goals (watch above) against Norwich on Wednesday prove he’s at the top of his game.

“We want him to stay and, with his contract running for two and a half years, I am sure there will be something between now and the end of the season to keep him here,” Rodgers told Sky Sports. “The most important thing is that the player is happy. I think all parties are fairly comfortable at the moment. We made our feelings known in the summer and it is where it is. The only concentration now for us and Luis is to keep him playing at that level, and the rest takes care of itself.”

Over the summer an agreement was said to be in place between Suarez, his agent and the club that if a side offering UEFA Champions League soccer came in for him, he could leave Anfield. However, the club reject any notion of that ever being part of his contract, informally or formally. But you have to think if Livepool don’t qualify for the UCL this season, Suarez may be on his way out of Anfield after the World Cup this summer.

source: AP
Suarez is happy and on the top of his game at Anfield… why would he leave?

“Is his future here linked with the Champions League?” Rodgers said. “It is linked with him being the best player he can be, playing at the highest level he can. He has two and a half years left on his contract, so there will be another two years to go in the summer. That’s all there is to be said. But I just have a feeling, an inkling (that he may stay), and it is based on where he is in his life and conversations with him. His behavior, mannerisms and performance levels tell me he is very happy being with Liverpool and in the Premier League. That gives me confidence.”

One thing is for sure, Liverpool can’t afford to not have Suarez on their side. With him they have a chance of making the Champions League. He is arguably the most in-form striker on the planet right now and if he does get the chance to shine in European club soccer’s biggest stage with the Reds, then I think his legendary status at Anfield will be rubber-stamped as he helps usher in a new successful era at the famous club. He can change the game in an instant in Liverpool’s favor as players that do that are worth their weight in gold.

Liverpool’s American owner John W. Henry should not play harball with these contract negotiations. Give Suarez whatever deal he wants, just make sure he remains a red. Then, and only then, can Liverpool fans look to the future with optimism and certainty that they will at least be perennial challengers for the Champions League spots.

Suarez must stay.

Chicharito says Mexican team “always feels welcome” in the United States

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mexico will take on Wales on Monday at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA as they warm up for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

Playing in the United States is nothing new for the USMNT’s southern neighbors, and it doesn’t phase them. In fact, they love it.

Star striker Chicharito told reporters that he and the rest of the squad is more than happy playing north of the border, because according to him, apart from a pair of venues, they can’t even tell they’re on the road.

“We always feel welcome here,” Chicharito said. “It’s like our second country, if we can say that, apart from Columbus [Ohio] and apart from the stadium in Miami when we played Colombia…those two stadiums, that’s the only time I’ve felt that we were the away team.”

Chicharito knows that the high population of his countrymen and women in the United States helps the Mexican team feel close to home when they play over the border. He’s all for the melting pot of the US.

“We feel at home [in the United States],” Chicharito said. “We have plenty of Mexicans here, so I don’t know what else to tell you, we feel welcome, we feel glad, happy to be in touch with those people here. They are sacrificing a lot of things, and they are all enjoying their lives that they decide to live in the USA…it’s great. It’s great when you come to another country and you feel like you are home. You see all the stadium green, shouting and screaming your names, screaming your goals, so yeah, it’s great.”

Mexico will play Wales on Monday at 9:00 p.m. ET, and will return home to take on Scotland at Azteca on Saturday at 8:00 p.m. ET.

England international Delph expecting child in middle of World Cup

Getty Images
Leave a comment

England international Fabian Delph could face quite the dilemma if England advances past the group stage of the World Cup.

Delph’s wife Natalie is expecting the couple’s third child on June 30, which is two days after their pivotal group stage match against Belgium, and two days before the squad would take the field July 1 for its Round of 16 game should they win Group G. If they finish second in the group, they would play their Round of 16 game on July 3.

When asked what his plans are, Delph joked that his wife would manage on her own. “She’s tough, she’s a Yorkshire lass so she’ll deal with it,” Delph said with a smile.

He then coughed up the truth: they’re not quite sure what the plan is.

“We’re not 100% certain, with a game on the 28th there might be an opportunity to fly back and then get back fast,” he said. “[England manager] Gareth [Southgate] has been fantastic. There’s nothing more important than family to me – family always comes first and always will.”

There’s another dilemma that Southgate must navigate involving Delph. The 28-year-old is a natural winger, but played wing-back in Pep Guardiola‘s title-winning system for much of the year and saw a massive uptick in form in the new role, playing in place of the injured Benjamin Mendy. Southgate must decide where he wants to deploy Delph – if at all – and if he wishes to fit his formation and tactics to mold Delph’s season under Guardiola.

Authorities drop assault charges against Hope Solo

Getty Images
Leave a comment

KIRKLAND, Wash. (AP) — Prosecutors in Washington state have dropped domestic violence charges against former U.S. national team star goalkeeper Hope Solo.

Solo was charged with two counts of fourth-degree assault in 2014 after police said she assaulted two family members at a home in Kirkland, east of Seattle. The case was delayed by appeals.

KING-TV reports that city prosecutors dropped the charges Wednesday, saying the witnesses in the case wanted to move on with their lives and did not want to participate in a trial. An attorney for Kirkland, Melissa Osman, wrote in court documents that the circumstances were unlikely to be repeated.

The longtime national team goalkeeper and two-time Olympic gold medalist recently ran unsuccessfully for president of the U.S. Soccer Federation. She has called for equal pay and equal treatment for the U.S. women’s team.

Mark Hughes signs new long-term contract at Southampton

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mark Hughes has gone from Stoke City outcast to Southampton savior in little under six months time.

The Welsh boss was let go from Stoke City with the Potters 18th in the table and headed towards eventual relegation, but he was picked up by fellow relegation candidates Southampton after the departure of Mauricio Pellegrino. He steered the club to safety, finishing three points above the drop in 17th.

With the Saints in the top flight for another season, the club has announced the signing of Hughes to a new three-year contract.

“Mark, Eddie and I are thrilled to have signed long-term contracts with the club. It was the only option we considered, having spent the last eight weeks with the club,” Hughes said of himself and his assistant coaches Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki. “Now it is vital that we take the unbelievable support we received from the fans during the last few games into next season. The staff and the players will work hard every day to deliver the success this club deserves, and with everyone pulling together we will achieve our goals.”

Hughes guided Stoke City to three consecutive ninth-placed finishes, the highest the club had ever finished in the English top flight, but they finished 13th last year and regressed even further this campaign. The sale of playmaker Marko Arnautovic was particularly damaging, and the club scored just 35 goals in 38 games as a result.

At Southampton, Hughes took over a club that sat in 17th with just eight matches to go. He lost three Premier League games in a row to start his tenure and only won two league matches with Saints the rest of the way, but managed to keep the club barely afloat.