Just in time for FIFA’s Ballon d’Or, Cristiano Ronaldo has blessed the soccer world with one additional achievement.
Ronaldo goal in a 2-0 win over FC Copenhagen was No. 9 in the group stage, setting the new mark in the opening stage of UEFA Champions League.
His goal Wednesday was the second for the Spanish giants, following a very sweet strike from Luka Modric. The Croatian international’s curler was surely the more highlight-worthy, but Ronaldo’s was the history maker.
Several big scorers had struck for eight in group play, but Ronaldo was the first to climb past that plateau.
FIFA’s Ballon d’Or has been narrowed to a fine list of finalists: Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Franck Ribery.
The list of UEFA Champions League group stage top scorers:
- Cristiano Ronaldo, Real Madrid (2013-14), 9 goals
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Paris Saint-Germain (2013-14), 8 goals
- Ruud van Nistelrooy, Manchester United (2004-05), 8 goals
- Filippo Inzaghi, AC Milan (2002-03), 8 goals
- Hernan Crespo, Inter Milan (2002-03), 8 goals