Cardiff City Unraveling: Malky Mackay told he won’t get a penny

2 Comments

Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan is furious with manager Malky Mackay.

Following Cardiff City’s 1-0 victory over West Bromwich Albion last Saturday, Mackay discussed his desire to bring three new players into the club during the January transfer window.

“It would be great if we can bring in three quality additions to the squad,” he said. “I would look to strengthen all three departments in terms of a defender, a midfielder and an attacking player.

“I will talk to my chairman who will then discuss it with his board of directors and our owner and I will take my lead from them. It’s up to them then what financially they want to spend in January. I’ve got my lists of players whether they be targets or loans and for various positions.”

The statement seemed innocuous enough. But not in the eyes of Tan. The controversial owner turned to chief executive, Simon Lim, who drafted the following statement:

“Tan Sri Vincent Tan was extremely upset to read quotes from the manager concerning the possibility of new recruits, before he had been informed whether funds would be made available. He believes that doing so unfairly raises supporter expectations, placing unnecessary pressure on the club.

“His view is that due to the funds already committed, including the originally authorised summer transfer budget of £35m that rose to £50m in total, including add-ons, the manager has been fully supported.

“The overspending of £15 million has upset Tan Sri greatly, resulting in the removal on Iain Moody as head of recruitment. As such, he has stated that not a single penny will be made available in January.

“Having been the highest spending promoted club and the seventh highest spender in the Premier League last summer, the owner believes that the Manager has been given the best possible chance of retaining our Premier League status.”

This is not the first time Tan and Mackay have butted heads.

Last October, Tan drew the ire of Mackay when he fired the Bluebird’s head of recruitment, Iain Moody. Moody, a close friend of Mackay, was then replaced with former groundsman and Tan family friend 23-year-old Alisher Apsalyamov.

That incident prompted wide-spread speculation that Mackay’s days at Cardiff could be numbered but nothing transpired. Until yesterday. No it seems only a matter of time before this incident blows up.

But was Tan’s criticism of Mackay appropriate?

It seems odd that a manager would be given a budget and then spend more than that allotment. Last summer Mackay and Moody brought in eight new players: Gary Medel (£11.5M), Steven Caulker (£8M), Andreas Cornelius (£7.7M) and Kevin Theophile-Catherine (£2.2M), Peter Odemwingie (£2.5M), John Brayford (£1.5M), Simon Moore (£100K) and Maximilianio Amondarian (free) – costing a total of just over £33.5M (or what Lim rounds to £35M).

Tan seems to be arguing that those numbers rose to £50M due to ‘add-ons’. But how are the ‘add-ons’ Mackay’s fault? As a billionaire businessman Tan knew or should have known of the terms of those agreements and therefore the possibility that they could rise to £50M.

Next, Tan fails to consider the savviness of the purchases Mackay and Moody brought in. Medel and Caulker are arguably two of the best transfers this season with the former winning plaudits across the league for his tenacious performances and the latter being the defensive rock and the reason Cardiff won the South Wales derby. Theophile-Catherine has also impressed at right-back where he’s a consistent starter and while Cornelius has only featured four times due to injury the 6’4″ 20-year-old Dane is a highly rated striker.

Without those players it’s safe to say the Bluebirds would be in the relegation zone, opposed to their 15th place spot in the table. It’s a scenario Tan fails to take note of and one that could prove a heck of a lot worse if the season ends without Mackay at the helm.

Ronaldo explains his new chin hair at World Cup

AP Photo/Hassan Ammar
Leave a comment

Now that Cristiano Ronaldo has taken to sporting a reasonable hairstyle atop his head, people are talking about the foliage on his face.

[ RECAP: Morocco 0-1 Portugal ]

Ronaldo, 33, drew speculation when he stroked his chin following a goal in his hat trick performance against Spain in the World Cup opener. Some said he was demonstrating defiance against Lionel Messi posing with a goat (Greatest Of All Time) in a recent photograph.

Ronaldo scored again on Wednesday, and there was seemingly little doubt his goatee was a wink to the speculators. But what did it mean, CR7? From ESPN:

“This goatee? It’s a joke I had with [Ricardo] Quaresma. “We were in the sauna [before Friday’s match against Spain] and I started to shave and I left the goatee. I said if I score tomorrow, I would leave it for the rest of the tournament. And it gave me luck.

“I scored in that game, I scored in this one, so it stays.”

Personally, I like to imagine Ronaldo starting to get as wild with his facial hair as he did his head hair.

Perhaps a beatnik style, or something like Serj Tankian from System of a Down. Get nuts, C-Ron.

Report: Southampton could sell Tadic to Ajax for $20m

Adam Davy/PA via AP
Leave a comment

Could Southampton be selling one of its most creative forces?

Dusan Tadic, 29, is in the middle of a World Cup run with dark horse Serbia, but the Saints star is also being talked about as a purchase item for Ajax.

[ MORE: Serbia tops Costa Rica ]

The celebrated Eredivisie has traditionally been a selling club for the Premier League, but could be a $20 million buy for Ajax.

The report says director of players Marc Overmars and financial director Jeroen Slop have flown to Southampton to work out a deal.

Tadic starred for Dutch sides Groningen and Twente between 2010-14 before moving to St. Mary’s for a reported $12 million.

He’s scored 24 goals with 35 assists in 162 appearances for Saints, 21 and 30 of which came in the Premier League.

Toronto locks down USMNT backstop Bono with extension

Photo by Graig Abel/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Toronto FC goalkeeper Alex Bono is going to stay Toronto FC goalkeeper Alex Bono.

[ RECAP: Morocco 0-1 Portugal ]

The newly-capped USMNT backstop, 24, has been attracting interest from abroad since breaking past Clint Irwin to win the TFC job and guiding the club to multiple MLS Cup Finals.

Now general manager Tim Bezbatchenko has locked down his young goalkeeper to an undisclosed contract extension. From TorontoFC.com:

“Alex was a big part of our success last season. He set club records for wins and clean sheets and was a critical piece of our championship team,” said Toronto FC Sr. Vice-President, Soccer Operations & General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. “Since joining the club as a first round pick in 2015, Alex’s ability to make key saves in big moments has been critical to our success.”

The Syracuse-born product of Syracuse University has made 64 appearances for the Reds.

WATCH: World Cup, Day 8 — Argentina on the edge; France aims for berth

Photo by Ryan Pierse/Getty Images
Leave a comment

France, Denmark, and Croatia can clinch knockout round berths on Thursday in Russia, the last nation also holding the opportunity to help deprive the World Cup of an extended Lionel Messi run.

[ MORE: Latest 2018 World Cup news ] 

Messi’s Argentina drew Iceland in its opener, the megastar infamously missing a penalty, and will look to beat a Croatian side that looked quite good in dispatching Nigeria.

That’s the final match of the day, which begins with Denmark facing Australia and continues with a tasty match-up between France and Peru.

Below is Thursday’s schedule in full.

Click here for live and on demand coverage of the World Cup online and via the NBC Sports App.


2018 World Cup schedule – Wednesday, June 20

Group C
Denmark vs. Australia: Samara, 8 a.m. ET – LIVE COVERAGE
France vs. Peru: Yekaterinburg, 11 a.m. ET – LIVE COVERAGE

Group D
Argentina vs. Croatia: Nizhny Novgorod, 2 p.m. ET – LIVE COVERAGE