Barcelona have stated that they paid €57m ($77m) to sign Neymar from Brazilian side Santos last summer, but, if reports are correct, the club actually spent €95m ($129m) to sign the forward – making him the most expensive player in the world.
According to Spanish newspaper El Mundo, who allegedly got a look at leaked court documents, Barca paid €38m more than previously stated for the 21 year old wonderkid, with payments listed as going “to scout young talent at Santos” and “to help children in the favelas of Sao Paulo” in fact being made directly to Neymar’s father. By reporting these payments as going to sources other than the Neymar family, Barcelona are saving on their taxes, avoiding paying more on the transfer fee and wages.
The case is currently in trial, with the club asserting its innocence. And it may ultimately be that the allegations remain unproven, as it would be difficult to demonstrate where, exactly, the payments have gone. But should they be true, Neymar could very well be top in the world – in terms of cost, anyway. Cristiano Ronaldo cost Real Madrid €94m, more than the cost of Gareth Bale, widely reported as being €100m, but in actuality falling closer to €91m.
Of possibly greater interest, however, is the fact that, should some of these payments be found to be packaged as part of Neymar’s wages, the youngster may be earning more than teammate Lionel Messi. The Argentine makes €11m ($14.8m) per year, plus bonuses. But if some of the payments allegedly going elsewhere are interpreted by the court as being used to disguise extra wages for Neymar, that could mean the Brazilian is earning around €15m ($20.5m) annually.
It’s highly unlikely that this case will prove irregularities in Barcelona’s accounting. Still, it’s intriguing to think of the young Brazilian being the most valued player in the world – and of him earning more than megastar Messi.
The “FIFA virus” is hitting Liverpool hard this month.
Sadio Mane, who reportedly broke his left thumb on international duty for Senegal, underwent surgery on Wednesday, Liverpool confirmed. The club did not include a timetable for Mane’s return in its press release, only saying, “Mane’s recovery will be monitored over the next couple of days ahead of the Reds’ return to action at Huddersfield Town on Saturday.”
With the injury, Mane joins Mo Salah, Naby Keita and Virgil Van Dijk as Reds to be injured during the international break.
As an attacker, it’s unlikely Mane really needs the use of his left hand other than to protect himself on aerial challenges on bumps from defenders, but depending on the recovery, it may just be a decision of how much pain Mane could tolerate. With matches against Huddersfield, Red Star Belgrade and Cardiff City to come, maybe this is a good time for Jurgen Klopp to rest some of his starters, including the walking wounded like Mane.
Wembley Stadium is set to stay in the FA’s hands.
[READ: USMNT 1-1 Peru: Player Ratings]
The FA announced in a press release Wednesday that Fulham owner Shahid Kahn had withdrawn his offer of $790 million to purchase Wembley Stadium. Kahn first became interested in buying the stadium in February 2017, when he and FA CEO Martin Glenn met at the Superbowl. What followed was an informal offer to the FA Board of Directors before a formal offer was made.
The offer has been valued at anywhere from nearly $800 million to nearly $1.2 billion. In a statement, Kahn said that his goal to purchase the stadium was to provide the FA with a large amount of capital which it could use to improve grassroots soccer around the country.
“The intent of my efforts was, and is, to do right by everyone in a manner that strengthens the English game and brings people together, not divides them,” Khan said. “Unfortunately, given where we are today, I’ve concluded that the outcome of a vote next week would be far from sufficient in expressing the broad support favored by the FA chairman to sell Wembley Stadium.”
The FA council was set to vote on the sale next week.
Although it cost the FA and British government more than $1.4 billion (adjusted for inflation) to renovate and rebuild Wembley Stadium, the arena hosted 33 events between July 2016 and June 2017 and in its latest published financial records, the FA recorded an after-tax profit of $21 million. So it seems that along with the sponsorships and broadcast deals, Wembley Stadium is a money maker, which makes it important for the FA to hold on to.
That being said, it’s hard to turn down a deal worth close to $1 billion, even if that’s a lump sum and they won’t receive further investments from stadium revenues in the future. In the future, maybe Kahn or another owner may make another offer, one that the FA council could accept.
The head of La Liga is considering taking extraordinary action to ensure that a planned match this year in the U.S. goes off as expected.
[READ: What did we learn about the USMNT?]
According to Spanish radio station Cadena Cope, La Liga president Javier Tebas is set to bring a lawsuit against the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) and its chief, Luis Rubiales to compel the federation to approve Barcelona’s match against Girona on January 26, which has been scheduled to be moved to Miami, Fla.’s Hard Rock Stadium.
In a way, it makes sense that Tebas and the Spanish league is considering every possible avenue to ensure that their 15-year marketing rights agreement with Relevant Sports, including league matches played abroad, can move forward as expected. However, it was clear after the announcement in August that all parties involved – especially La Liga, had not thought this through. FIFA, the RFEF, local fans and the Spanish league’s player’s union have all opposed the news, and on Wednesday Real Madrid formally sent a letter of it’s disapproval in moving La Liga matches abroad.
Tebas and La Liga would prefer for this to be resolved legally sooner rather than later, so they can market the Barcelona match in Miami and begin negotiating with the other federations that need to approve. But there’s a decent chance that the other parties – FIFA, and U.S. Soccer – could fail to rubber stamp what would be a first-of-its-kind event. In any case, watch this space.
The U.S. Men’s National Team finished the October FIFA international slate with a somewhat demoralizing loss and an uplifting draw, if there is such a thing.
The young U.S. core continues to show flashes of great talent, but overall the team still seems to be stuttering along under caretaker manager Dave Sarachan, who just managed his 10th game and could likely finish out the calendar year as USMNT boss.
[ MORE: Premier League stats ]
Below is a look at the key takeaways from the USMNT’s October friendlies: