Official: David Beckham announces Miami will be Major League Soccer’s 22nd franchise

Leave a comment

Get your flip flops, sun hats and soccer shirts ready, David Beckham’s MLS franchise in Miami is now a reality.

On Wednesday alongside Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber and Mayor of Miami-Dade County Carlos A. Jimenez, Beckham announced that the league’s 22nd franchise will be based in Miami.

“I am thrilled to announce that David Beckham has exercised his option to purchase an MLS expansion team and we are so excited to he has selected Miami for his new club,” Garber announced. “David had lots of cities across the U.S. and Canada to choose from, he picked Miami because he believes in this city. It is perhaps one of the most diverse and international cities in the entire world and people here love this sport. Together, we have no doubt that this will be an very successful MLS team.”

After months of intense speculation, the former England, Manchester United, Real Madrid and LA Galaxy midfielder has officially set up the league’s newest franchise, as MLS is willing to give soccer in South Florida another go.

The new franchise will apparently cost Beckham just over $20 million to set up, which is a significant discount on the usual expansion fee of around $100 million that we’ve seen in recent years as Portland, Montreal, Vancouver and Orlando have entered the league.

(MORE: How would Beckham’s MLS franchise in Miami be any different this time around?)

Beckham then gave more reaction as to why he picked Miami to start his own franchise and become an owner in MLS.

“Why Miami?… Why not? For me, I wanted to create a team that we can start from scratch,” Beckham explained. “There was a team here 10 years ago and unfortunately they folded but going forward, I wanted to create a team that can be very personal. I want to make it my own team. I have great partners. Miami is a vibrant city with a lot of passion. I know this city is ready for football, soccer, this time around. I’ve always said throughout my career, whether there’s challenges or not, I need to work hard.”

source: AP
Beckham, MLS Commish Don Garber and Mayor of Miami-Dade County get the deal done.

(MORE: MLS back in Miami – Where does it rate on the league’s glamour scale?)

Of course we’ve been here before, as in 2001 the Miami Fusion were shut down, along with Florida’s other former MLS team the Tampa Bay Mutiny, and since then top-flight domestic soccer has been non-existent in the Sunshine State.

But with Beckham’s financial clout and star power, along with those of other investors including Miami Heat basketball superstar LeBron James and Bolivian billionaire Marcelo Claure, expect Becks and co. to do it big in MIA.

The option to own his own MLS franchise was inserted into Beckham’s original contract with LA when he first arrived Stateside in 2007, and now the former England national team captain has exercised his option to put money, time and effort back into the league he was so influential in helping to grow over the past five years.

(MORE: What They Said – Important quotes from Beckham’s MLS in Miami announcement)

Also announced were rough details of the plans to bring a soccer-specific stadium to central Miami, as Beckham and his partners continue to hammer out a plan for a 25,000 seater stadium along the Miami waterfront.

“For it to be successful we will need a world class soccer stadium to serve as its home venue. It will show the rest of the world we can have one of the great soccer stadiums in the world,” Commissioner Garber said. “If we are successful this facility will be a showcase of everything that is so special about this city. Starting today David and his partners in the league will work closely with Mayor Jimenez and the Miami commissioner to find a project that makes sense MLS, David’s team and our fans. So that we can finalize our plan after many years to be back in this great city.”

(MORE: After Miami’s entry to MLS, big question remains: where will the stadium be?)

source: Reuters
Beckham spoke passionately about why he chose to put his MLS franchise in Miami.

Beckham will now continue to work hard behind the scenes to ready Miami for their entry into MLS, and at the end of the historic announcement Becks addressed the crowd for one final time.

“I want to thank the fans and the media for coming down here to Miami on a big day for myself and everyone that has been working very hard with this project. Thank you very much for your support, I hear your concerns and issues and all that you have to throw at me.” Beckham said.

“I’m looking forward to working with you and having a successful relationship in the years to come. Thanks to the people of Miami for making my family and friends feel so welcome. It means so much that we have your support.”

MORE: Who’s left? With Miami confirmed, MLS down to two expansion slots

VIDEO: Relive how MLS’ last Miami side excelled in 2001, then got shut down)

Own goal the difference as Spurs best Everton

Leave a comment

A first-half own goal sent hosts Tottenham Hotspur to a 1-0 win over Everton in North London on Monday.

[ MORE: Premier League summer schedule ]

Giovani Lo Celso’s shot took a wicked deflection off an unknowing Michael Keane to fool Jordan Pickford and give Spurs a much-needed win.

TOTTENHAM – EVERTON FULL MATCH REPLAY

Spurs move onto 48 points, seven back of fifth-place Manchester United. The North Londoners are one point behind Arsenal ahead of this weekend’s big derby (though there’s still a Thursday visit to Bournemouth for Spurs).

It was the first defeat since the restart for Everton. The Toffees’ 44 points have Carlo Ancelotti’s men 11th, four points off the Europa League spots.


Three things we learned

1. Mourinho peak-Mourinho versus Ancelotti: We can’t judge either manager’s tenure at their new club yet, but the home team’s boss used the tools at his disposal to frustrate Everton’s attack. Hopefully we get to see two Spurs-Everton duels next season with new weapons at both clubs. Odds are Spurs still might look a lot like this even with new pieces. That’s how Mou like to fight his way out of a slump.

2. Everton generates little: Maybe Richarlison isn’t at full fitness or perhaps the midfielders just didn’t have danger in them today. Maybe both, but key scorer. Dominic Calvert-Lewin joined strike partner Richarlison in struggling to produce good chances in an ugly-enough loss.

3. Tempers rise for Lloris, Son: All might seem well for a team leading a very decent visitor at halftime, but Hugo Lloris had to be restrained from Heung-min Son on the way off the field after 45 minutes. It was unclear why the South Korean star became a target of the French backstop’s ire, the broadcast team later showing that Lloris may have been angry with the forward not tracking back after a stoppage-time error. The pair were then shown hugging in the tunnel before returning for the second half.

Man of the Match

Lo Celso — And not because of the goal considering his shot was heading wide when it turned off Keane. Clearly comfortable at the PL level now, Lo Celso was a joy to watch on Monday. An early flubbed possession was an outlier, the 24-year-old Argentine showing a good range of passing while getting stuck into duels and making three tackles.


Tottenham – Everton recap

A sleepy, feeling-out first 20 minutes yield to excitement in an instant when Lucas Moura snapped a hard shot from distance past Everton keeper Jordan Pickford but also the post.

Spurs’ opener came after Everton blocked two successive shots only to see the third shot take a hard turn off Michael Keane to defy Pickford for 1-0 just before the first half water break.

Lo Celso then won a free kick off Mason Holgate on the edge of the 18, the English defender earning a yellow for his hard sliding challenge.

There was little to love in the second half, a cagey affair indeed. Pickford made a nice save on Son, while Moise Kean’s late shot through Eric Dier’s legs was scooped up by Lloris.

[ MORE: Premier League stats ]

WATCH: Lloris, Son separated by teammates at halftime

Leave a comment

All might have seemed well for Tottenham Hotspur holding a 1-0 lead over Everton at halftime of a big Premier League encounter on Monday in North London.

But normally calm goalkeeper Hugo Lloris had to be restrained from Heung-min Son on the way off the field after 45 minutes.

[ MORE: Sargent, Bremen pull off great escape ]

It was unclear why the South Korean star became a target of the French backstop’s ire, but the broadcast team showed that Lloris may have been angry with the forward not tracking back after a stoppage-time error allowed a chance to the Toffees.

Our crew breaks down the incident above, as two unlikely combatants needed to be separated before being caught making amends in the tunnel before the second half.

We’re unlikely to hear anything revelatory from Jose Mourinho about the incident after the match, but he’ll surely be asked about an odd one that clearly turned out okay.

Sargent, Werder Bremen avoid Bundesliga relegation (video)

Werder Bremen avoids relegation
Photo by Pool/Ronald Wittek/Pool via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Werder Bremen is staying the Bundesliga on away goals after a 2-2 draw at Heidenheim in the second leg of the promotion/relegation playoff preserved their place in Germany’s top flight.

Bremen’s American forward Josh Sargent had a front-row seat for the decisive goal, getting the last touch before Norman Theuerkauf put it in his own goal in the third minute.

Heidenheim thickened the drama late when Tim Kleindienst put home the rebound of a shot smashed off the crossbar in the 85th, but a grinder’s effort from veteran Fin Bartels to set up Ludwig Augustinsson in stoppage time put the tie to bed. Heidenheim added a penalty at the death as Kleindienst finished his brace.

[ MORE: Marsch named Coach of the Year ]

Bremen avoids its first relegation in nearly 40 years. Heidenheim finished third in 2.Bundesliga while Bremen was third-bottom of Bundesliga.

Sargent, 20, worked his way into becoming a Bremen regular this season, featuring in its last 17 league matches and both playoff matches. He started Monday, one of 15 starts between the Bundesliga and playoffs. He finished the season with four goals and four assists.

His stats over 88 minutes were good. Sargent had two shots on target, one blocked, completed two of four dribbles, and influenced the own goal (SofaScore). One of his shots saved could’ve easily been a goal but it did not cost Bremen. The industrious Sargent was involved in 24 duels and drew two fouls.

Manager Florian Kohfeldt asked Sargent to run his shorts off and press hard at forward and Bremen was not good at getting service to anyone this season. Sargent will have hardened his game this season and can now claim to be a part of one of the greatest escapes in Bundesliga history.

An editorial note of pure opinion: Keep an eye on Heidenheim’s Niklas Dorsch, a Bayern Munich academy product who drove Heidenheim with influential performances all season. Unsure there’s another year in the second tier for him.

Arsenal – Leicester City preview: How to watch, start time, stream, odds, prediction

Arsenal - Leicester City preview
Photo by David Price/Arsenal FC via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Arsenal – Leicester City presents a litmus test for two big names seeking to put a stamp on young tenures at Premier League clubs.

Mikel Arteta and Brendan Rodgers match wits at the Emirates Stadium on Tuesday with pivotal table positioning on the line (Watch live at 3:15pm ET on NBCSN and online via NBCSports.com).

Leicester’s 58 points are good enough for third place but a tepid run-of-form saw the side slip from a virtual guaranteed spot in the Champions League to a possible Europa League competitor.

[ MORE: Premier League summer schedule ]

Arsenal meanwhile has driven itself into eighth place after a very poor start to the season, its 49 points six points behind fifth-place Manchester United and nine behind the visiting Foxes.

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers signed a new deal with Leicester despite being linked with the Arsenal job before Arteta took the reins in North London.

Team news

Leicester is waiting on two key pieces. James Maddison has been out and there’s guarantee he’ll return, while Ben Chilwell joined the walking wounded in the Foxes’ 3-0 defeat of Crystal Palace.

Mesut Ozil and Matteo Guendouzi remain on the outside-looking-in for Arsenal.

What they’re saying

Leicester forward Ayoze Perez on chasing the UCL“We need to make sure we protect what we’ve done so far and we can celebrate something important for us. (Manchester United on the last day) could be like a final you know. We’ll see. Football is not predictable at all. We’ve still got a couple of tough games to play. Hopefully by then we are already qualified. It would mean a lot (to qualify). I’ve not made my debut in the Champions League and It’s something you dream for always. The way we’ve done it, and for Leicester, it could mean a lot. It’s not done yet.”

Mikel Arteta on Arsenal’s Champions League hopes“I think we have to win every game and then wait and pray. It’s not about a game, we need to go game-by-game. A few weeks ago we were really far from thinking about Europe and we are a little bit closer at the moment so lets go game by game and see where that takes us.”

Odds and ends (full matchweek odds)

Arsenal is favored to win at +125 compared to Leicester’s +220, via DraftKings. A draw goes for +245.

Jamie Vardy and James Maddison scored in a 2-0 Leicester win over the Gunners at the King Power Stadium earlier this season.

Arsenal – Leicester City Prediction

Leicester could handle the loss of Chilwell but the absence of Maddison has been notable even in the win over Palace. Both teams have tremendous creators and Youri Tielemans has been wonderful for Leicester, but Arsenal have a bit more and the Foxes do have the injury issues even if both of their ailing stars can go. Arsenal 2-0.

How to watch Arsenal – Leicester City stream, start time

Kickoff: 3:15 pm ET Tuesday
TV Channel: NBCSN
Online: Stream via NBCSports.com