Official: David Beckham announces Miami will be Major League Soccer’s 22nd franchise

Leave a comment

Get your flip flops, sun hats and soccer shirts ready, David Beckham’s MLS franchise in Miami is now a reality.

On Wednesday alongside Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber and Mayor of Miami-Dade County Carlos A. Jimenez, Beckham announced that the league’s 22nd franchise will be based in Miami.

“I am thrilled to announce that David Beckham has exercised his option to purchase an MLS expansion team and we are so excited to he has selected Miami for his new club,” Garber announced. “David had lots of cities across the U.S. and Canada to choose from, he picked Miami because he believes in this city. It is perhaps one of the most diverse and international cities in the entire world and people here love this sport. Together, we have no doubt that this will be an very successful MLS team.”

After months of intense speculation, the former England, Manchester United, Real Madrid and LA Galaxy midfielder has officially set up the league’s newest franchise, as MLS is willing to give soccer in South Florida another go.

The new franchise will apparently cost Beckham just over $20 million to set up, which is a significant discount on the usual expansion fee of around $100 million that we’ve seen in recent years as Portland, Montreal, Vancouver and Orlando have entered the league.

(MORE: How would Beckham’s MLS franchise in Miami be any different this time around?)

Beckham then gave more reaction as to why he picked Miami to start his own franchise and become an owner in MLS.

“Why Miami?… Why not? For me, I wanted to create a team that we can start from scratch,” Beckham explained. “There was a team here 10 years ago and unfortunately they folded but going forward, I wanted to create a team that can be very personal. I want to make it my own team. I have great partners. Miami is a vibrant city with a lot of passion. I know this city is ready for football, soccer, this time around. I’ve always said throughout my career, whether there’s challenges or not, I need to work hard.”

source: AP
Beckham, MLS Commish Don Garber and Mayor of Miami-Dade County get the deal done.

(MORE: MLS back in Miami – Where does it rate on the league’s glamour scale?)

Of course we’ve been here before, as in 2001 the Miami Fusion were shut down, along with Florida’s other former MLS team the Tampa Bay Mutiny, and since then top-flight domestic soccer has been non-existent in the Sunshine State.

But with Beckham’s financial clout and star power, along with those of other investors including Miami Heat basketball superstar LeBron James and Bolivian billionaire Marcelo Claure, expect Becks and co. to do it big in MIA.

The option to own his own MLS franchise was inserted into Beckham’s original contract with LA when he first arrived Stateside in 2007, and now the former England national team captain has exercised his option to put money, time and effort back into the league he was so influential in helping to grow over the past five years.

(MORE: What They Said – Important quotes from Beckham’s MLS in Miami announcement)

Also announced were rough details of the plans to bring a soccer-specific stadium to central Miami, as Beckham and his partners continue to hammer out a plan for a 25,000 seater stadium along the Miami waterfront.

“For it to be successful we will need a world class soccer stadium to serve as its home venue. It will show the rest of the world we can have one of the great soccer stadiums in the world,” Commissioner Garber said. “If we are successful this facility will be a showcase of everything that is so special about this city. Starting today David and his partners in the league will work closely with Mayor Jimenez and the Miami commissioner to find a project that makes sense MLS, David’s team and our fans. So that we can finalize our plan after many years to be back in this great city.”

(MORE: After Miami’s entry to MLS, big question remains: where will the stadium be?)

source: Reuters
Beckham spoke passionately about why he chose to put his MLS franchise in Miami.

Beckham will now continue to work hard behind the scenes to ready Miami for their entry into MLS, and at the end of the historic announcement Becks addressed the crowd for one final time.

“I want to thank the fans and the media for coming down here to Miami on a big day for myself and everyone that has been working very hard with this project. Thank you very much for your support, I hear your concerns and issues and all that you have to throw at me.” Beckham said.

“I’m looking forward to working with you and having a successful relationship in the years to come. Thanks to the people of Miami for making my family and friends feel so welcome. It means so much that we have your support.”

MORE: Who’s left? With Miami confirmed, MLS down to two expansion slots

VIDEO: Relive how MLS’ last Miami side excelled in 2001, then got shut down)

Willian confirms exit, thanks Chelsea fans ahead of rumored Arsenal move

Willian leaves Chelsea
Photo by Chelsea Football Club/Chelsea FC via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Willian’s new home may be less than eight miles from his old one; The Brazilian mega talent may not even need a new flat, but he’s definitely leaving Chelsea.

Arsenal is reportedly on the verge of seal the deal to bring Willian to the Emirates Stadium and the player announced his departure on his 32nd birthday.

The announcement comes one day after Chelsea’s confirmed exit from the UEFA Champions League, the Blues unable to overcome a mega deficit to Bayern Munich.

[ MORE: Premier League announces VAR, subs rules ]

“I am really grateful to the Chelsea fans for the affectionate way they welcomed me at Stamford Bridge and their support throughout my time at the club,” he wrote. “There was also criticism, which is normal, what is important though is that both the affection and criticism drove me to always give my all in every training session, every game, to be constantly improving until my very last minute in a Chelsea shirt!”

Twice-named Chelsea’s Players’ Player of the Year, Willian leaves West London with two Premier League titles, two FA Cups, a Europa League triumph, and a League Cup.

Willian has nine goals in 69 caps for Brazil, where the 32-year-old has become more of a super sub for the FIFA’s No. 3 ranked Selecao.

Arsenal’s young talent will learn plenty from Willian should the elderstatesman arrive to tutor the likes of Bukayo Saka, Gabriel Martinelli, Eddie Nketiah, and — to a certain extent — raw-but-real talent Nicolas Pepe, who is 25.

As for Chelsea, the club is content with Christian Pulisic, Hakim Ziyech, Mason Mount, and Callum Hudson-Odoi on the wings. Even if 2-3 of them underperform, the Blues have Timo Werner as a capable winger despite his status as a monster in the middle of a trident.

Frank Lampard’s going to enjoy his 2020-21, even though he’d clearly have enjoyed another year or two with Willian.

Bournemouth appoints Jason Tindall as Eddie Howe replacement

Bournemouth new manager
https://www.afcb.co.uk/
Leave a comment

There were questions as to how Bournemouth would address finding a replacement forr an institution after Eddie Howe left the club following the Cherries’ relegation from the Premier League.

Would Bournemouth go outside the box like they did with Howe the first time, hiring the 31-year-old following a stint as a player-coach and then youth coach at the club? Would they opt for a manager who’s led a club to Premier League promotion after relegation again? Or might it not be a big departure from the norm at all.

Meet the new boss. Familiar with the old boss.

[ MORE: Premier League announces VAR, subs rules ]

Bournemouth named Howe’s longtime No. 2, Alex Tindall, to lead the Cherries’ first ever bid to return to the Premier League following relegation.

Tindall is 14 days older than Howe and has assisted his former Bournemouth teammate since 2008: twice with the club and also during Howe’s year at Burnley.

:Given the success of the club over the last 12 years, with Eddie in charge and me by his side, I’m not going to come in and rip everything up and start again,” Howe said. “I would be a fool to do that. But I’m my own person with my own ideas and I will be looking to implement them as soon as we get back on the training ground.

“I know the Championship is a very tough league but my aim is to get this club back into the Premier League at the first time of asking. This is a challenge that I feel I’m ready for and one I’m looking forward to.”

This is intriguing and exciting for a club like Bournemouth, still steeping its top-level tradition after an impressive five Premier League seasons including a finish as high as ninth.

What will be most interesting is to see if Tindall can have more success arranging the defense. A former striker, Tindall takes the reins of a club which allowed 67, 67, 61, 70, and 65 goals in their five PL seasons. The club was a bit unlucky this year, scoring just 40 and underperforming expected goals scored and conceded.

Champions League, Europa League: How to watch, odds, start time, predictions

Champions League odds
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The UEFA Champions League and Europa League action has resumed and I’m going to reveal my predictions for this next round as well as the latest odds for Europe’s top two continental tournaments.

[ LIVE: Champions League scores

With Manchester City still in the Champions League and Manchester United and Wolves among the favorites to win the Europa League, there is a lot on the line for Premier League clubs in the coming weeks.

Just because the Premier League season is over, that doesn’t mean the action is over. Far from it. Both Manchester clubs are the bookmakers favorites to seal their respective European glory.

[ LIVE: Europa League scores ]

In the next few days the Europa League and Champions League quarterfinals will take place as the mini tournaments begin.

Man City beat Real Madrid 4-2 on aggregate, while Chelsea lost Bayern 7-1 on aggregate as they crashed out of the Champions League. Man United and Wolves are both in the quarterfinals and favored to go far.

Lisbon, Portugal will host the Champions League games from the quarterfinal stage onwards, while the Europa League games will be hosted around Germany.

Below is a look at my predictions, the odds for the games this week and how to watch and follow all of the fixtures in the USA.


How to watch, stream Champions League and Europa League

Dates: August 5-23
Location: Quarterfinals onwards in Lisbon/Germany
How to watch: CBS Sports
Live updates: UCL here at NBCSports.com & Europa League here at NBCSports.com


JPW’s Champions League predictions

Quarterfinals (August 12-15)
Wednesday, August 12: Atalanta 2-3 PSG
Thursday, August 13: RB Leipzig 1-2 Atletico Madrid
Friday, August 14: Barcelona 1-3 Bayern Munich
Saturday, August 15: Manchester City 3-1 Lyon


JPW’s Europa League predictions

Quarterfinals (August 10-11)
Monday, August 10: Inter Milan 2-1 Bayer Leverkusen
Monday, August 10: Manchester United 3-1 Copenhagen
Tuesday, August 11: Wolves 1-2 Sevilla
Tuesday, August 11: Shakhtar Donetsk 1-2 Basel


Champions League betting odds

Quarterfinals (August 12-15)

(+210) Atalanta v. PSG (+117). Tie: +275
(+225) RB Leipzig v. Atletico Madrid (+135). Tie: +220
(+235) Barcelona v. Bayern Munich (+115). Tie: +255
(-305) Manchester City v. Lyon (+750). Tie: +450

Outright winner
Manchester City (+220)
Bayern Munich (+325)
Paris Saint-Germain (+500)
Atletico Madrid (+800)
Barcelona (+800)
Atalanta (+1000)
RB Leipzig (+1700)
Lyon (+3500)


Europa League betting odds

Quarterfinals (August 10-11)
(+112) Inter Milan v. Bayer Leverkusen (+240). Tie: +250
(-385) Manchester United v. Copenhagen (+1000). Tie: +480
(+235) Wolves v. Sevilla (+120). Tie: +230
(-106) Shakhtar Donetsk v. Basel (+290). Tie: +255

Outright winner
Manchester United (+180)
Inter Milan (+325)
Sevilla (+500)
Bayer Leverkusen (+650)
Wolves (+700)
Shakhtar Donetsk (+1100)
Basel (+2500)
Copenhagen (+6000)

Barcelona reach 13th straight Champions League quarterfinal

Barcelona - Napoli
Photo by LLUIS GENE/AFP via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Barcelona – Napoli saw Lionel Messi and Co., book the eighth and final place in the UEFA Champions League quarterfinals, by way of a 3-1 victory on the night (4-2 on aggregate) on Saturday.

[ MORE: Champions League predictions ]

It was, as it so often tends to be, Messi who shone brightest and stole the spotlight en route to Barca’s 13th straight Champions League quarterfinal appearance.

[ LIVE: Champions League schedule ]

Barca entered Saturday with the slimmest of advantages, knowing that a scoreless draw would see them through to the quarterfinals after grabbing a vital away goal in the first goal. Lyon knew that no matter what, they needed to score at least once or they would be out. That threat was reinforced, and strengthened, when Clement Lenglet headed the Blaugrana ahead in the 10th minute.

Messi slipped, Messi got back up, Messi slipped again, Messi got back up again, Messi rifled the ball inside the far post to score a(nother) fantastic solo goal and make it 2-0 (3-1) in the 23rd minute. It was only slightly more complicated than that for him (WATCH HERE). Messi put the ball in the back of the net again just a few minutes later, but the goal was taken off the board by way of a somewhat suspect handball decision upon video review.

Nonethless, that was just about that after Luis Suarez converted from the penalty spot early in first-half stoppage time. Messi won the penalty by sneaking around Kalidou Koulibaly and winning the ball in the blink of an eye, forcing the Senegalese center back to foul him on the edge of the box lest Messi walk in on goal for a virtual tap-in.

Lorenzo Insigne converted a penalty kick of his own a couple minutes later before the interval, but the threat level never peaked higher than a 2-out-of-10 for Barca.

Barca will face Bayern Munichin a sensationally mouth-watering, single-leg quarterfinal matchup next Friday.