One of the most incredible stories of any player in the Premier League continues to get better.
Southampton and England striker Rickie Lambert is about to be signed by his hometown club Liverpool at the age of 32. According to reports from the Press Association, a fee believed to be around $6 million plus other add ons has been agreed between the two clubs and Lambert will have a medical on Saturday.
After Mauricio Pochettino left Saints earlier this week to take over as Tottenham Hotspur boss, Lambert is set to follow in his footsteps to join the team he has supported his entire life. Dreams, it seems, do come true.
This is truly a remarkable story as Lambert was released by Liverpool as a schoolboy and is still an avid supporter of his hometown team. A few months ago I asked Lambert a few questions in a press conference and his love for Liverpool was brought up. It is clear he holds the Reds close to his heart. Since Liverpool snubbed him as a teenager, Lambert then worked his way out from the lower tiers of English soccer (which also included a stint of working in a beetroot factory on the side) before joining Southampton at the age of 27 when they were a third-tier club.
The last five years have been a dream ride for the Liverpudlian who has scored 117 goals in 235 games since joining Saints in 2009. In that time he has steered Southampton to two-straight promotions to the Premier League and has scored 28 goals in 75 appearances in the top flight over the last two seasons.
His ability from the penalty spot is also superb as he has never missed a penalty for Saints after scoring 34 straight PKs. However what will have most likely impressed Brendan Rodgers is that Lambert is not just a goalscorer but also a creator as last season he has 10 assists to his name, only Wayne Rooney, Luis Suarez and Steven Gerrard had more last season in the PL. Having Lambert come off the bench to help tee up Suarez and Daniel Sturridge would work wonderfully as Lambert isn’t just a target forward, he has a wonderful soccer brain.
In the last 18 months Lambert has gone from a journeyman in the lower leagues of English soccer to a regular goalscorer in the PL who is also going to the World Cup with England.
Now his rags to riches career is set to have the cherry on the top as he will sign for his hometown club Liverpool and see out his playing days in front of the Kop trying to help the Reds win the PL and succeed in the Champions League. Not bad for a lad who used to work in a beetroot factory. Not bad at all.
Uruguay reached the Round of 16 on Wednesday with a 1-0 win over Saudi Arabia, who has been eliminated from the 2018 World Cup.
Hosts Russia will also reach the knockout rounds with the Uruguay win, thus eliminating Egypt as well.
The Barcelona striker gave Uruguay the lead in the 23rd minute, after a poor read from Saudi goalkeeper Mohammed Al-Owais.
Suarez was given a wide-open finish at the far post off the corner kick for his first goal at the World Cup. The 31-year-old had scored a combined five goals during his last two World Cup appearances (2010 & 2014).
The complaints centered around tactics Andreas Heraf used in a recent home international against Japan and his comments to media after that match. Players reportedly objected to the defensive nature of Heraf’s tactics in the 3-1 loss.
New Zealand Football chief executive Andy Martin said at a news conference on Wednesday that his organization had received a letter from the New Zealand Professional Footballers Association, containing letters of complaint from 13 national team members.
Defending his approach at a news conference after the match, Heraf said the New Zealand players would never have the “quality” to compete with a team of Japan’s ability and might have lost 8-0 if they had not adopted a defensive style.
Further reports have emerged of player concerns about Heraf’s behavior, including allegations of bullying.
Martin was repeatedly questioned at the news conference about when New Zealand Football first had notice of the players’ concerns about Heraf. He insisted he was not aware of any problems until the letter from the NZPFA containing the players’ complaints was released on Monday.
In a statement, New Zealand Football Chairman Deryck Shaw said player welfare was “of utmost importance.”
“We hold player welfare as a matter of utmost importance and that is why we are conducting a thorough, independent review. We want to ensure we better understand these issues in an objective review. There is no place for inappropriate behavior of any kind with New Zealand Football.”
Ronaldo’s early tally gives Portugal win over Morocco