Report: Besler would spurn Premier League, Europe for new deal in KC

31 Comments

Sporting KC and United States national team defender Matt Besler is ready to say “thanks but no thanks” to interest from around Europe’s top leagues to stay in Major League Soccer.

It’s been just a few days since Besler, 27, confirmed interest from Sunderland and Fulham, stating no preference but asking for a quick resolution to the issue.

Now a report from the Kansas City Star’s Sam McDowell says Besler would turn down any European interest in order to sign a long, lucrative deal that would keep him at Sporting Park through the prime years of his career.

From the Kansas City Star:

While Besler previously conveyed interest in an opportunity to transfer overseas — an option his agent said remains in play — he would rather sign a new long-term contract to remain with his hometown club, the source said.

Eddie Rock, Besler’s agent, said his client has not dismissed the possibility of playing overseas. He declined to comment when asked if Besler is leaning one way or the other, but he acknowledged productive conversations with Sporting Kansas City over the past week as the two sides look to reach an agreement on a new contract.

Besler is under contract through the 2015 season but is searching for a raise from his $220,000 salary, which makes him the league’s 32nd-highest paid defender in Major League Soccer.

“Matt has continued to engage in discussions with the owners and executives,” Rock said. “Talks are in an advanced stage.”

A decision will be reached by the end of the weekend, as Rock doubled down on his client’s desire for a quick resolution. Besler has been at KC since departing Notre Dame in 2008 and has played 137 games for the reigning champions, currently boasting the most points and least goals allowed in the Eastern Conference.

So what’s the catch for KC? How much money is Besler looking for? His agent says he’s not looking to be the highest-paid defender in the league, while the source told McDowell that Besler is looking for less than $1 million per season.

The 6-foot-1 Besler will be 31 at the time of the 2018 World Cup, so the story begs the question of whether Jurgen Klinsmann would be okay with his starting center back staying in Major League Soccer. Klinsmann recently used Facebook to implore players to “add to the competition level“, which some took as another nod to the coach’s preference for European competition.

And we have to ask whether part of this could be a smoke screen, as also of note in the report is that KC has not received a tempting bid for Besler, according to head coach Peter Vermes. With Besler under contract with KC, it would follow suit that his agent should take advantage of his client’s World Cup performance in any way possible. If there hasn’t been a suitable offer from overseas, Rock’s job is a Besler raise and contract stability.

There’s undoubtedly a market for Besler’s services, and this report takes the conversation fodder for MLS fans up to the next level. Turning down a move to Europe to stay home is admirable for his club and league and Besler, by all accounts one of the ‘good guys’, has earned the right to do whatever he sees fit.

He’s also earned the right to ask for a raise. Could be win-win-win for MLS, KC and MB.

New Zealand women footballers rebel against national coach

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Wellington, New Zealand (AP) Only weeks after New Zealand Football made headlines by signing a revolutionary equal pay deal with its female players, the organization is facing a mutiny by members of its women’s team against the national coach.

[ MORE: Latest 2018 World Cup news ] 

New Zealand Football confirmed on Tuesday it had received a letter signed by a number of New Zealand players complaining about the methods and tactics employed by Austria-born coach Andreas Heraf.

The complaints follow the New Zealand team’s recent 3-1 loss at home to Japan. Heraf angered his players, and fans of the Football Ferns national team, by taking an entirely defensive game plan into the rare home international.

Heraf then further angered his players with comments defending his approach.

He said there was “a big difference in quality” between the New Zealand and Japanese players and that New Zealand “will never have that quality” to compete with top teams like Japan. He said the scoreline might have been 8-0 if New Zealand had not adopted a defensive approach.

One of New Zealand’s leading players, United States-based Abby Erceg, retired after playing 132 matches for New Zealand, citing Heraf’s approach in previous international matches.

She later told New Zealand media: “I couldn’t stand to wear that (national symbol) on my chest any more when his vision was to cower in a corner and not get beat by too much.”

New Zealand Football defended Heraf against the media and public criticism but admitted his comments were “strange” and “wrong” and did not accurately reflect his views. Heraf later apologized and said he had not expressed himself clearly.

But efforts to dampen the controversy have failed. New Zealand Football said in a statement it had “received a letter from the NZ Professional Footballers Association (NZPFA) last night with a number of complaints from the players of the Football Ferns.”

The mutiny comes only weeks after New Zealand gained international headlines for a deal which gives female pay parity with their male counterparts.

New Zealand Football signed the deal which provided female players with equal match payments, travel arrangements and prize money.

At the time, New Zealand women’s captain Ali Riley said the deal meant New Zealand would “be able to compete against the top teams, to be able to do well at a World Cup and the Olympics – this is what we needed.”

VIDEO: Colombia sees red, Japan takes early lead

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The first red card of the World Cup came just moments after fans took their seats in Saransk.

[ MORE: Latest 2018 World Cup news

After David Ospina blocked a breakaway opportunity from Yuya Osako in the third minute of the match, Japan star and former Manchester United midfielder Shinji Kagawa fired the rebound on goal. But his shot was blocked by the arm of Colombia midfielder Carlos Sanchez, which earned him a straight red card from referee Damir Skomina and an early trip to the locker room.

Kagawa then stepped up to the spot and calmly sent Ospina the wrong way to give Japan the shock early lead.

Colombia will play the rest of the match with ten men and no James Rodriguez, who was named to the bench for this match as he recovers from a reported calf injury.

Rodriguez out of Colombia starting XI

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Taking a page out of Egypt’s book, Colombia will be without its talismanic playmaker for its first match, Tuesday morning against Japan.

[ MORE: Latest 2018 World Cup news ] 

Juan Fernando Quintero replaced James Rodriguez in Colombia’s starting Xi to take on Japan in Saransk as Colombia coach Jose Pekerman clearly hopes a few extra days of recovery for the injured Rodriguez will help him return to 100 percent fitness. Rodriguez is battling a reported calf injury.

Rodriguez scored six goals and had two assists in five games at the last World Cup in Brazil, helping guide Los Cafeteros to their first World Cup quarterfinals appearance.

World Cup’s only black coach says there should be more

Photo by Dan Mullan/Getty Images
Leave a comment

MOSCOW (AP) — The only black coach at this year’s World Cup says there is a need for more in soccer.

“In European countries, in major clubs, you see lots of African players. Now we need African coaches for our continent to go ahead,” Senegal’s Aliou Cisse said through a translator on Monday, a day ahead of his nation’s World Cup opener against Poland.

[ MORE: Where to watch Tuesday’s games, feat. Colombia and Egypt ]

The percentage of black players at this year’s tournament and with clubs in the world’s top leagues is far higher.

Cisse was captain of Senegal when it reached the 2002 quarterfinals in the nation’s only previous World Cup appearance.

“I am the only black coach in this World Cup. That is true,” Cisse said. “But really these are debates that disturb me. I think that football is a universal sport and that the color of your skin is of very little importance.”

[ MORE: Harry Kane “buzzing” after two goals | Southgate encouraged ]

FIFA did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Cisse cited Florent Ibenge, the coach of Congo’s national team, as a sign of progress.

“I think we have a new generation that is working, that is doing its utmost, and beyond being good players with a past of professional footballers,” Cisse said. “We are very good in our tactics, and we have the right to be part of the top international coaches.”

Africa’s best performance at the World Cup has been to reach the quarterfinals, accomplished by Cameroon in 1990, Senegal in 2002 and Ghana in 2010.

[ MORE: Latest 2018 World Cup news ] 

“I have the certainty that one day an African team, an African country, will win the World Cup,” Cisse said. “It’s a bit more complicated in our countries. We have realities that are not there in other continents, but I think that the African continent is full of qualities. We are on the way, and I’m sure that Senegal, Nigeria or other African countries will be able win, just like Brazil, Germany or other European countries.”

A lack of minority managers also has been documented at the club level. The Sports People’s Think Tank said in November there were just three minority managers among the 92 English professional clubs as of Sept. 1.