David Beckham’s search for a stadium in Miami continues.
The global superstar has so far seen plans for a downtown home for his new Major League Soccer franchise shelved, as plenty of opposition arose to his glitzy plans.
[RELATED: Atlanta adds club president]
After having various locations and plans knocked back, Beckham and his partners have gone back to the drawing board and we haven’t heard much from him in a while. Until now.
In an interview with Bloomberg, the former Manchester United, Real Madrid and LA Galaxy legend was keen to clear up one thing: MLS is coming to Miami. No matter what obstacles lie in the way.
With the stadium deal proving troublesome and many still questioning the logic of having an MLS team in South Florida, Beckham has moved to stop all that speculation and suggested that other venues are being sorted through as himself, Marcelo Claure and Simon Fuller continue their bid to bring MLS to Miami.
“Miami will happen,” Beckham said. “I said I want to bring a team here and I will take a team to Miami. There are speed bumps along the way and we’ve come up against those. I’ve been very cheeky in a way because I’ve gone into Miami and I said ‘OK, I wanna build Old Trafford or Wembley stadium next to Buckingham Palace.’ My dream was to have our stadium on a waterfront. It’s not worked out like that and we have alternative sites. It will happen.”
In the interview Beckham also touched on the fact that no relegation and promotion in MLS makes his plans a lot less stressful but that he could see the league splitting up into “a few different divisions.”
This update from Beckham comes on the back of 73,429 fans attending the Brazil vs. Colombia friendly at Sun Life Stadium last Friday, which was the largest ever crowd for a soccer game in the state of Florida.
For those who have doubts about MLS heading to Miami, at least Becks has reassured people that everything is on track.