Abby Wambach leads players’ lawsuit over turf at 2015 World Cup

1 Comment

U.S. women’s national team superstar Abby Wambach is leading a group of 40 players suing FIFA and the Canadian Soccer Association over the use of artificial turf at the 2015 World Cup in Canada.

[RELATED: USWNT’s Gold Cup draw]

The players’ lawsuit was filed in the Ontario tribunal court on Wednesday as they cite gender discrimination ahead of the World Cup which begins on June 6 and runs until July 5.

USWNT forward Wambach, Germany national team ‘keeper Nadine Angerer, USA star Alex Morgan, Brazil’s Fabiana Da Silva Simoes and Spain’s Veronica Boquete are among the players filing the suit.

They have asked that the lawsuit is expedited due to the World Cup kicking off in June 2015 and have requested a date of Nov. 26 for the hearing to take place. The entire lawsuit, obtained by NBC Sports, can be read here.

For more details, background information and quotes from the players involved, check out this in-depth piece from NBC Sports’ Jeff Kassouf.

An extract from Jeff’s piece can be found below, as the lawsuit against turf being installed across the six 2015 World Cup venues heats up.

Canada will host the 2015 Women’s World Cup in six venues that all currently have artificial turf playing surfaces. The players and their lawyers say that artificial turf is a “substandard” surface that heightens the risk of injury, and that men would never play a World Cup on turf. Every men’s World Cup has been played on grass, and the 2018 and 2022 World Cups are scheduled to be played on grass.

Section One of the Ontario Human Rights Code establishes that “every person has a right to equal treatment with respect to services, goods and facilities, without discrimination” including gender.

Legal action was first threatened by the group in late July, as reported by The Equalizer, in hopes that FIFA and Canada Soccer would discuss changes.

FIFA repeatedly dismissed the accusations, and earlier this week FIFA deputy director of women’s competition Tatjana Haenni said “there’s no plan B” and that the World Cup will be played on artificial turf.

Haenni was in Canada with an independent examiner to make sure all six venues’ turf meets FIFA guidelines. FIFA recommended turf is approved for all competitions, provided that every surface be consistent and similar. Five of the six venues already had turf; grass was ripped out of Moncton Stadium to install turf.

“Our lawyers will be reviewing any and all applications or information related to this,” a Canada Soccer spokesperson said in a statement Thursday. “We will refrain from any comment until there has been a thorough review.”

Orlando City B returns to USL, this time as D-3 founding member

mlssoccer.com
Leave a comment

The growth of leagues underneath Major League Soccer has been fun to watch, especially since the trend has been upward following the dour demise of the North American Soccer League (for now).

Orlando City B is the latest club to (re)launch itself into the sub-MLS stratosphere, announcing its status as a founding member of the USL D-3 project. OCB sat out the 2018 USL season.

[ MORE: USMNT-Brazil preview ]

OCB joins Toronto FC 2, FC Tucson, South Georgia Tormenta FC, Greenville Triumph FC, and yet-to-be nicknamed Madison Pro Soccer and Chattanooga Pro Soccer.

That brings the number of USL Division III teams to seven.

A good note and a lesser note, below.

Positive: I love the interlocking script of OC on the logo, and am glad they kept the crest (albeit this leads to the negative).

Negative: If we want to grow the game below the MLS level, it’s not going to come by asking interested fans to get fired up to go see a match against another club’s B or 2 side.

This works in the baseball model, with affiliates getting star players on rehab stints or up-and-coming prospects, where AAA clubs like the Iowa Cubs clearly keep Chicago’s branding, so a dissenting viewpoint says perhaps it can work via familiarity.

But it seems so easy that OCB could be Central Florida SC instead of Orlando City B. The 2 model, at least, is practiced in Germany, though clubs facing Borussia Dortmund II or FC St. Pauli II know they can win promotion to the next level by defeating said foes.

Star-studded video has players campaigning for FIFA ratings

EA Sports
Leave a comment

FIFA19 is going to hit video game consoles everywhere later this month, and EA Sports has captured players discussing their ratings the same way we do.

I, for one, am still stung by Jamaal Lascelles‘ FIFA rating of 76 last season.

[ MORE: USMNT-Brazil preview ]

Cristiano Ronaldo, Hugo Lloris, and most hilariously Casemiro make appearances in this promo video, which also features Manchester City’s Kevin De Bruyne making a “public statement” asking for higher ratings on behalf of all players.

It’s an entertaining watch, for sure.

EA also released the 100th to 81st ranked players in the game, including Riyad Mahrez (99), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (98), Raheem Sterling (97), and Virgil Van Dijk (82).

By the way, Fabinho ranked 85 despite not being able to get in Liverpool’s team is something else.

Lletget leaves USMNT camp with abdominal injury

Photo by Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Sebastian Lletget‘s return to the United States men’s national team is going to have to wait a bit longer.

The LA Galaxy midfielder and former West Ham United academy player, 26, has left USMNT camp thanks to a “lingering abdominal strain.”

[ MORE: USMNT-Brazil preview ]

Lletget has three caps for the national team but had been absent from the fold since March 25, 2017, when he scored an early goal against Honduras only to suffer a Lisfranc injury in the 18th minute and lose 4-6 months of playing time.

He has three goals and an assist in 23 matches for the Galaxy this season. The U.S. and Brazil tangle Friday night in New Jersey, and no replacement to the squad will be made before kickoff.

L.A. Times reporter Kevin Baxter adds a touch of MLS drama to the news.

USMNT-Brazil preview: Sarachan, meet gauntlet

Photo by Dan Mullan/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Let’s recap the Dave Sarachan interim spell in charge of the United States men’s national team.

Two wins, three draws, and a loss to Ireland in Dublin are on Sarachan’s record, the most notable perhaps being a 1-1 draw against France that leaves the Yanks as one of the last two teams to play Les Bleus to a stalemate over 90 minutes (Denmark at the World Cup group stage).

[ MORE: What’s at stake for USMNT? ]

The Rochester, N.Y. born 64-year-old has been a steady hand for a reeling program, one which has yet to announce its next full-time boss (There’s reason to infer it could be Tata Martino, but let’s leave that for a later date).

It’s legitimate to wonder whether Sarachan will add another win to his resume before the end of the year. The manager will lead the U.S. against Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, Peru, England, and Italy (though the first four will be hosted on American soil, at least the first two will be without national team phenom Christian Pulisic).

That won’t change what’s easy to see as a successful tenure by the Sarachan, who has navigated the fact that he was a part of the staff who failed to qualify for the World Cup with calm if not savvy while introducing several new players to the fold.

We say all this now because the odds are that the USMNT fan base’s good vibes could be rocked on Friday night when Brazil rolls into MetLife Stadium in New Jersey. Tite’s Seleção includes Neymar, Roberto Firmino, Alisson Becker, Philippe Coutinho, and Casemiro.

The United States has beaten Brazil once, a 1-0 win at the 1998 Gold Cup, and frankly the Yanks have had a lot of trouble keeping their CONMEBOL visitors from scoring boatloads of goals. Brazil has scored three of more goals in five of six against the USMNT, the outlier being a 2-0 loss.

The latest was a humbling 4-1 defeat for Jurgen Klinsmann’s men that was only saved from a clean sheet by Danny Williams‘ absurd blast in the direction of Marcelo Grohe.

[ MORE: Hernandez to MUFC or Real? ]

Sarachan can choose 10 of the 11 men who started the 1-1 draw against France by sliding DeAndre Yedlin into Shaq Moore’s shoes (though we must say he could start 11 of 11, however unlikely).

Brazil’s 4-3-3 will look different for sure, with Marcelo, Paulinho, Gabriel Jesus, Fernandinho, Miranda, and Fagner all absent after starting for Tite in the Selecao‘s 2-1 loss to Belgium at the World Cup.

Assuming a Firmino start between Neymar and Willian with Coutinho handling some playmaker duty underneath, this is another massive test for (presumably) Zack Steffen, Yedlin, John Brooks, Matt Miazga, and either Eric Lichaj or Antonee Robinson.

There are ways it could go well and the Yanks could still lose by two, which is why the utmost of caution should be given to any poor performance. But if the Yanks win or draw, it would not just be a positive step but a historic one for a team that enters the day 1-17 all-time against Brazil.