On Wednesday a report from SI.com stated that the New York Red Bulls were up sale and several meetings had been held about selling the Major League Soccer franchise over the past few years.
[REPORT: Henry done, RBNY for sale]
Not so fast. At least, that’s the word from the Red Bulls and MLS.
The Red Bulls released a statement on the reports, which you can see below, in a move to calm tension among fans and address a situation which sparked so many rumors.
“There are no plans to sell the New York Red Bulls,” New York said in a statement. “While interest in soccer continues to grow in the U.S. and the MLS continues to expand, Red Bull is confident now more than ever in the investment and committed to the franchise and its supporters.”
While MLS commissioner Don Garber told the New York Daily News that he “can absolutely assure that the club is not for sale” and went on to say that “both the owner and management team in Austria and New York are as committed as ever to Major League Soccer, the club and their fans.”
So, back to normal. Perhaps this news of a potential sale will get interested parties talking as suggestions that a $300 million bid would see the Red Bulls sell their stunning stadium in Harrison, NJ and the franchise itself may tempt ownership groups into getting involved.
Regardless, interesting times are ahead in MLS as the stadium situation in Miami continues, the arrival of both New York City FC and Orlando City next season, plus potential expansion talks carry on in Sacramento, San Antonio and Minneapolis.
The times, they are a changing.