Vicente del Bosque to stand down as Spain boss after EURO 2016

0 Comments

The Spanish national team have gone through some growing pains recently. Maybe this has something to do with it.

On Friday legendary Spanish national team manager Vicente del Bosque said he will leave “La Furia Roja” after the 2016 European Championships in France.

Del Bosque told Spanish newspaper AS “my intention is to continue until France 2016 and then leave after.”

The 63-year-old manager led Spain to its first-ever World Cup title in 2010, as well as the 2012 European Championship crown. However, after their dismal display during the 2014 World Cup in Brazil (Spain were knocked out at the group stages) and a slow start to their EURO 2016 qualifying campaign, del Bosque and Spain have come under increasing criticism.

The former Real Madrid boss took charge of Spain in 2008 after Luis Aragones guided the Iberian nation to its first-ever major tournament trophy at EURO 2008. Del Bosque’s men have dominated international soccer ever since but cracks are beginning to show and with plenty of experienced players now coming towards the end of their career, now seems like the right time for del Bosque to move on.

Last week Spain lost their first qualifier in over eight years as Slovakia beat them 2-1, but del Bosque was always likely to step down after the 2016 tournament as that’s when his current contract runs out with the Spanish Football Federation.