Carlos Vela will accept the call-up to the Mexican National Team, according to Fox Sports journalist Ruben Rodriguez.
Mexico is set to play the Netherlands and Belarus during next month’s international break and on Wednesday, Rodriguez tweeted that national team coach Miguel Herrera had said: “I spoke with Carlos Vela. Clean slate and he accepts the call to [El Tri].”
The report further boosts statements from earlier today when Herrera told ESPN’s Futbol Picante: “Carlos will be there in Holland. Of the call-ups, all will be coming.”
Others confirming Vela’s words include Mexican journalist Fernando Schwartz and various other Mexican publications including Tiempo Real.
The cap will be Vela’s first since his self-imposed international exile that dates back to March 2011. The former Arsenal player has been in fine-form since moving to Real Sociedad in 2011, improving each year. After registering 12 goals and 7 assists in his first season, he notched 14 goals and 12 assists during the 2012/13 season and 16 goals 13 assists last year.
Despite a call-up for Brazil 2014, Vela rejected the nod claiming he wasn’t mentally ready and that he didn’t want to take the spot of a more deserving player during qualification. Now, at the age of 25, it appears he’s ready.
And just like that, Mexico is a much more dangerous squad.