Jose Mourinho said he’s made a decision on how he wants to proceed with the future of defensive fixture John Terry, but he won’t divulge his plans.
Speaking at his prematch press conference ahead of Wednesday’s bout with Tottenham at Stamford Bridge, he said he’s made up his mind on how he hopes the club will proceed on the future of the 33-year-old.
When asked about Terry’s contract, which ends this coming summer, Mourinho replied, “It’s not time to speak about it but he knows what I think and what I feel. The board also knows what I think, but we don’t feel the need to share with you.”
That very likely means Terry will receive a new contract offer, almost certainly a 1-year deal in accordance with Chelsea policy with 30-year-old players, much like many other top teams in England. He signed a 1-year deal back in May to keep him in Blue for the 2014/15 season. This year is his 17th with the Chelsea first team, and 20th year with the club.
Terry has made an unbelievable 607 appearances for the Blues, including 434 in the Premier League. He has over 400 appearances as captain of the club, a position which he currently holds.
Upon signing his most recent contract this past May, then-chief executive Ron Gourlay described Terry as “a Chelsea legend” and “Both Chelsea and John have been clear throughout that we wanted his outstanding career at the club to continue and it is important the matter has been concluded so soon after the end of the season.”
Starting in January, Terry can leave on a free transfer by signing a pre-contract with another club, but that seems highly unlikely at this point, considering he waited until the end of the season to re-sign last year.