Konchesky wins red card appeal, Fabianski loses his


Leicester City defender Paul Konchesky was sent off with a straight red card by referee Craig Pawson in their 2-1 defeat to Aston Villa this past weekend.

A nasty tackle brought down Villa defender Alan Hutton by stomping on his ankle, one Hutton was none too pleased about. Hutton got in Konckesky’s face about it and shoved his English foe for retaliation.

Pawson took a while to deliberate the incident, before deciding on straight red for Konchesky and yellow for Hutton. It’s still unclear if the young referee sent Konchesky off straight away for the challenge or the ensuing clash, but an Independent Regulatory Commission has overruled the decision.

Following the match, NBC analyst Robbie Mustoe brought up an interesting point by saying it would have made more sense for Pawson to show Konchesky two consecutive yellows – one for the challenge and one for the follow-up where it appeared the 33-year-old may have attempted a headbutt. Instead, the straight red infers just one particular issue caused the sending off, which has now been overturned.

“I don’t want get into a debate about getting other managers players sent off,” said Leicester manager Nigel Pearson after the match. “Initially I was under the impression Konchesky was sent off for the challenge. If that’s case it is very harsh. Then there’s a coming together of players’ heads – Konchesky is not the instigator of that. I think it would be difficult to have a decision like that rescinded but what I have to do is look at the footage, wait for the report and go from there.”

The Leicester defender will be immediately available for selection, without the typical three-match ban that accompanies a sending off for violent conduct. Leicester next play Manchester City this Saturday at home.

Unfortunately, the same fate did not befall Swansea City goalkeeper Lukaz Fabianski, who was given a straight red for the famous “denying a clear goalscoring opportunity” (DCGSO) in the 3-1 loss to West Ham at Upton Park on Sunday.

Fabianski came off his line and clattered full-on into Diafra Sakho who broke down the left edge of the box. Sakho stayed on the ball, but was forced down the channel instead of finding space to cut in, and the ensuing shot from a tight angle clanged off the far post and out.

The FA announced they had denied Swansea’s appeal of the red card, saying in a statement he will serve a one-match suspension for the offense. Three-match suspensions are reserved for violent conduct, while DCGSO and last-man fouls are accompanied by a one-match ban. Fabianski will therefore miss their Sunday match with Tottenham Hotspur at Liberty Stadium, with backup (and Garry Monk lookalike) Gerhard Tremmel likely to fill in.

Referee Chris Foy was praised for handling the situation with poise, appearing to initially allow Sakho the chance to shoot before pulling the play back and determining the Swans keeper had committed the red card offense. If Sakho had scored, it would have obviously nullified the idea of DCGSO.