Charges of domestic violence leveled against US women’s national team goalkeeper Hope Solo have been dismissed by a Kirkland (WA) Municipal Court judge, bringing to an end eight months of legal proceedings.
Citing, in large part, lack of cooperation from witnesses, judge Michael Lambo dismissed the charges on Tuesday, a week before the case was set for trial. Lambo said the case was “impermissibly prejudiced” and “materially affected” with witnesses’ lack of cooperation. Solo’s attorney filed a motion last month to have charges dismissed.
[ RELATED: USWNT in WWC “Group of Death” ]
Solo had been charged with two misdemeanor counts of fourth-degree assault stemming from an altercation with her half-sister and 17-year-old nephew at a June 2014 party in which Solo allegedly punched her 17-year-old nephew in the face before attacking the boy’s mother, Solo’s half-sister. The nephew broke a wooden broom over Solo’s head, according to statements given to authorities.
“Today’s decision brings closure to what has been one of the most difficult and emotionally draining times of my life,” said Solo in a statement on Tuesday. “I always had faith that once the facts of the case were presented, I would be cleared of all charges and I am so happy and relieved to finally have it all behind me.”
Tuesday’s news comes less than six months before the 2015 Women’s World Cup as Solo and teammates aim to win the Americans’ first World Cup since the famed 1999 team.