Burnley 2-2 West Bromwich Albion: Ideye saves point for Baggies, hosts unlucky not to earn late penalty


Danny Ings played provider and finisher to a pair of first-half header goals, but Burnley coughed up a two-goal lead to Brown Ideye and West Bromwich Albion in a 2-2 draw on NBCSN to start off a Sunday morning Premier League tripleheader.

Ashley Barnes scored Burnley’s second goal before Chris Brunt sent the match into halftime at 2-1. All four goals scored came via headers, and Burnley lost its third 2-0 lead in four matches.

The Clarets were denied a pair of deserved penalties in the final half-hour of the match, as Mike Dean was unmoved by a takedown and a handball.

West Brom moves three points clear of the drop, while Burnley does manage to slide out of the relegation zone. The Clarets are a point ahead of Hull City.

[ RELATED: Watch full match replays ]

Burnley opened the match with nearly two minutes of uninterrupted possession, capped by Ings left-footed shot from distance. It curled just over the bar, and the Clarets quickly got the ball back to begin another attack.

Ben Foster tipped a Scott Arfield shot off the bar in the 8th minute after Kieran Trippier found him with a slick cross from the right of the 18.

The seemingly inevitable goal came two minutes later, as Ings chested a cross down for his left peg to pop a ball square over three West Brom defenders, and Barnes headed past a diving Foster.

[ RELATED: Latest Premier League standings ]

Burnley weren’t done, doubling its lead in the 32nd minute off a clever bit of soccer. Trippier dummied a pass that George Boyd collected while racing down the right side of the pitch. His cross met Ings head, and the score was 2-0.

source: Getty ImagesBut it wouldn’t be an hour of academic play, as Chris Brunt’s stoppage time header gave the Baggies some life off a corner kick.

The second half began with plenty of hard fouls and physical play, and the Clarets were denied a 61st minute penalty appeal that could’ve made it 3-1. Kieran Trippier sent in an inviting cross, and Barnes was shoved down by Craig Dawson as he rose to head it. No call.

Ideye was given a yellow for furiously protesting a handball call (and seemingly rightly so). But he received his just desserts moments later, heading in a Chris Brunt corner to even the score at 2 in the 67th minute.

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]

There were several close calls in the final 20 minutes for both sides, including a big clear off the line from Joleon Lescott, who had a strong match at both ends of the pitch for the Baggies.

And then a clear handball inside the box from Gareth McAuley went unwhistled, and Dyche was sure to feel aggrieved by another uncalled foul in the 18.

Clarets keeper Heaton and defender Ben Mee combined to deny a 88th minute attempt from Saido Berahino which looked set to make 3-2 to West Brom.

Darren Fletcher served as captain for the Baggies in his first match since coming over from Manchester United on Deadline Day.


Burnley: Heaton; Trippier, Shackell, Keane, Mee; Boyd, Jones, Marney (Kightly, 46′), Arfield; Barnes, Ings

Goals: Barnes (11′), Ings (32′)

West Bromwich Albion: Foster; Baird (Ideye, 46′), Dawson, McAuley, Lescott; McManaman (Morrison, 82′), Fletcher, Yacob, Brunt; Sessegnon; Anichebe (Berahino, 18′)

Goals: Brunt (45’+1), Ideye (67′)

Southgate, England players sound off on racist abuse

Getty Images
Leave a comment

England took care of business in Monday’s 6-0 thrashing of Bulgaria, but the Three Lions had to endure some horrendous racist abuse from the crowd during the game.

The match was paused on two occasions I’m the first half by the match officials after racist chanting could be heard from a section of supporters, and a large group of Bulgarian fans were ejected towards the end of the half. However, racist abuse continued during the match from small pockets of fans in the stadium.

[READ: England v. Bulgaria delayed after racist abuse from stands]

“I have to say that the officials were on to everything very quickly,” England manager Gareth Southgate told ITV after the match. “We reported everything immediately when we heard things, we had constant communication with the fourth official and the referee. I was in contact with the players, all the way through the first half in particular, and then again at halftime.

”We know it’s an unacceptable situation, and I think we’ve managed to make two statements. By winning the game, but also we’re raised the awareness of everybody to the situation. The game was stopped twice, I know for some people that won’t be enough, but we as a group were on board with that process.”

Raheem Sterling, who scored a brace in the win, also sounded off on social media, as did former England and Arsenal star Ian Wright.

Ultimately, UEFA and the match officials followed the protocol, but the sad part about this is that England and the officials had a plan for racist abuse, and it was predictable that it would happen.

In a statement after the game, the FA confirmed they would be asking UEFA to investigate what happened. However, any punishment is too little, too late for the players who endured the abuse.

Kane, Sterling star as England rout Bulgaria

Getty Images
Leave a comment

On a night where racist abuse from the stands in Bulgaria marred the overall spectacle, England’s players produced an incredible result and spectacle for the visiting fans, with all things considered.

Harry Kane scored once and assisted on three others as England rolled over Bulgaria, winning 6-0 on Monday evening in the Vasil Levski Stadium in Sofia, Bulgaria. Raheem Sterling and Ross Barkley both scored a brace for the Three Lions and Marcus Rashford’s thunderbolt from a tight angle gave England the opening goal it needed.

The blowout result was the perfect response after England had suffered its first loss in qualifying for a decade, losing on Friday, 2-1 at the Czech Republic. The six goals England put past Bulgaria was also the fourth time out of six games that England had scored at least five goals in a match. The only other time, aside from the defeat, was a 4-0 win last month at Wembley Stadium over Bulgaria.

This story will be updated.


Racist abuse delays England v. Bulgaria qualifier

Getty Images
Leave a comment

England raced out to an impressive 4-0 lead at Bulgaria by halftime, but the wonderful attacking display was marred by horrendous incidents from the crowd.

The match in the Vasil Levski Stadium in Sofia, Bulgaria was stopped on two occasions with announcements being made to ask sections of the crowd to stop their abusive language. This comes with the stadium already serving a partial stadium closure due to racist chanting from the crowd in previous qualifiers.

Below is UEFA’s protocol on how to intervene in these situations, and what transpired from lead writer Joe Prince-Wright.

Tottenham re-signs goalkeeper Vorm

Getty Images
Leave a comment

With Hugo Lloris set to miss at least another two months of action with a broken elbow, Tottenham has turned to a familiar face to provide some cover between the pipes.

Tottenham announced Monday it had re-signed goalkeeper Michel Vorm to a contract through the end of the 2019-2020 Premier League season. Vorm spent five seasons with Tottenham after signing from Swansea City in 2014. However, after playing second-fiddle to Lloris and later serving as the third backup behind current Tottenham No. 2, Paulo Gazzaniga for the past couple of seasons, Vorm was released at the end of last season.

Its certainly a boost for Tottenham that a player with a long history at the club and plenty of experience was available to help in this situation. Similar to Liverpool picking up Adrian after Alisson Becker’s injury, Tottenham know what it’s getting in Vorm and may play him a few times if Gazzaniga needs a night off in the next few months.

According to Vorm, he had been home in his native Netherlands and was watching the game when he saw Lloris get injured.

“Obviously I saw straight away that he had a bad injury and at the time I thought about how bad it was, Vorm told Tottenham’s website. “After the game I spoke with Jan (Vertonghen), he told me what was going on and I spoke also with Toni (Jimenez, our goalkeeping coach) and, yes, during the week I got the phone call to ask if I was open to come back and help out. I’ve kept in contact with a lot of the players and also with Toni. We were speaking quite regularly and on Thursday he called me, we had the conversation and from there on, it went very quickly.”

In his five seasons with Tottenham, Vorm made a total of 47 appearances in all competitions. He saw plenty of time in the League Cup, FA Cup, UEFA Europa League and Champions League during his stay at White Hart Lane.