Jonny Evans to fight spitting charge in trial; Papiss Cisse accepts allegation

0 Comments

Yesterday, the English FA charged Manchester United defender Jonny Evans and Newcastle United’s Papiss Cisse for allegedly spitting at each other in their sides’ Premier League match on Wednesday.

Cisse has accepted the charge on Thursday, and is set to face a seven-game ban because he had already served a suspension earlier in the season.

[RELATED: Did they spit?]

Evans, however, will contest the charge, and based on a report from The Daily Mailthe trial to reach a verdict is arranged to take place tonight. The FA will announce their decision on Saturday.

Both Evans and manager Louis van Gaal had revealed they were “shocked” to hear the original news.

From BBC Sport:

“I would like to make it clear that I did not spit at Papiss Cisse. Having woken up this morning, I am shocked to have seen the media coverage from last night’s match.”

United manager Louis van Gaal said: “I don’t think Jonny Evans is a spitter…He was not aware he was spitting. He has said that also. I believe him. For me, the matter is done.”

After accepting the charge for his role in the altercation, Cisse issued an apology, adding: “I reacted to something I found very unpleasant.”

With the addition of Borussia Dortmund defender Mats Hummels still a possibility for the Red Devils at the opening of the next transfer window, Evans, who is signed through 2016 with United, could see his way out of Old Trafford fairly soon.

Top-notch performances to conclude his 2014-15 campaign would ultimately point toward Evans’ stay, even though this incident has generated negative reaction. Additionally, the FA has promptly responded to resolve the matter, so any ill effects originating from it should not linger very long.