Stoke City 1-2 Crystal Palace: Eagles soar to seal comeback win


Stoke City squandered an early lead at the Britannia Stadium on Saturday as Crystal Palace came surging back to win 2-1.

[ RELATED: Watch full match replays ]

Mame Diouf put the Potters ahead as the dominated the majority of the first half but Palace then hit Stoke with two blows just before half time. First Glenn Murray converted a spot kick following an unnecessary challenge from Asmir Begovic and then Wilfried Zaha punished slack defending to make it 2-1. In the second half both teams had a host of chances but Alan Pardew’s side held on for their third victory in four.

With the win Palace climb to 11th on 36 points, while Stoke drop to ninth on 42 points.

[ RELATED: Latest Premier League standings ]

After an even start Stoke took the lead in the 14th minute when Charlie Adam’s free kick bounced around and Diouf tucked it home. 1-0. The Potters put Palace under real pressure after that as Peter Crouch went close after some nervy goalkeeping from Julian Speroni with the home side dominating proceedings.

However just before half time Palace were handed an unlikely route back into the game as Yannick Bolasie burst through and was taken out rashly by Stoke goalkeeper Begovic who got nowhere near the ball. Penalty to the Eagles, as Murray slammed home his fourth PL goal in his last four games.

 [ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]

Then right on half time Palace scored again as a long ball forward from Speroni was flicked on by Murray and Zaha tucked the ball home. Route one soccer, as the Eagles led 2-1 at half time totally against the run of play.

At the start of the second half Palace continued to surge forward and Jason Puncheon wasted a glorious chance before defender Scott Dan struck the post with a controlled volley. Stoke also went close as Diouf couldn’t get on the end of Adam’s teasing cross in and end to end match at the Britannia.

[ RELATED: Premier League schedule ]

Stoke had a golden chance to make it 2-2 soon after as Mark Arnautovic’s shot was collected by Stephen Ireland but Speroni made a wonderful sprawling stop. Speroni once again denied Palace soon after as he saved from Steven Nzonzi.

With less than 15 minutes to go Diouf then had a great shout for a penalty kick waved away as Joel Ward looked to have blocked his shot with his hand, but Palace held on to secure yet another impressive win as Stoke lost for the second-straight match.


Stoke City: Begovic; Cameron, Shawcross, Wilson, Pieters; Nzonzi, Adam; Diouf, Ireland, Arnautovic; Crouch (Walters, 78′)

Goal: Diouf (14′)

Crystal Palace: Speroni; Ward, Dann, Delaney, Souare (Kelly, 70′); Ledley, McArthur; Zaha (Gayle, 80′), Puncheon, Bolasie; Murray (Ameobi, 86′)

Goals: Murray (41′), Zaha, (45′)