Bayern Munich team doctor quits after he was blamed for Champions League loss

8 Comments

Bayern Munich team doctor Hans-Wilhelm Mueller-Wohlfahrt is stepping down after almost four decades at the club, after the Bayern and German national team doctor’s medical staff was blamed for Bayern’s heavy UEFA Champions League defeat at the hands of Porto on Wednesday.

[ RECAP/VIDEO: Porto 3-1 Bayern Munich ]

Mueller-Wohlfahrt, 72, said in a statement on Thursday that he was quitting the club he’s worked for since 1977 after Bayern’s “medical department was made primarily responsible for the defeat for inexplicable reasons,” and that the trust necessary for a successful working relationship has been damaged.

Bayern were without a number of key players — Bastian Schweinsteiger, Arjen Robben, Franck Ribery and David Alaba — for Wednesday’s Champions League clash with Porto. How much of that is Mueller-Wohlfahrt’s “fault” is unclear.

[ UCL ROUNDUP: PSG 1-3 Barca | Atletico 0-0 Real | Juve 1-0 Monaco ]

As of Thursday night in Germany, the club seemed to be completely unaware of Mueller-Wohlfahrt’s plans to step down, as a spokesman said, “We have not heard about this press release, so we can’t comment on it.”

In the video below, Bayern manager Pep Guardiola can be seen clapping sarcastically and gesticulating toward someone on the bench — Mueller-Wohlfahrt? — after defender Medhi Benatia suffered an injury against Bayern Leverkusen last week.

Mueller-Wohlfahrt spent nearly 40 years at Bayern, leaving the club only once, for a short time, following a disagreement with then-first-team manager…wait for it…Jurgen Klinsmann, but returned to the job as soon as the current U.S. national team boss left the club. So, maybe Mueller-Wohlfahrt isn’t gone for good after all.