Juventus 2-1 Real Madrid: Tevez penalty lifts Juve over defending champs

3 Comments

Carlos Tevez’s brilliant season for Juventus continued today as the striker’s second-half penalty kick was the difference in Juve’s 2-1 win over Real Madrid at Juventus Stadium.

[ RELATED: Three things we learned ]

Massimiliano Allegri’s men now hold a slight advantage heading into the second leg of their UEFA Champions League semifinal matchup, which will take place next Wednesday in Madrid.

[ RELATED: Champions League schedule ]

Juventus had a positive start to the game and was rewarded within the opening ten minutes. Carlos Tevez found a massive gap in the Real defense and took a through ball from Claudio Marchisio, firing on net. His shot was stopped by Iker Casillas, but Alvaro Morata was there at the back post to tap in the rebound against his former club. Nine minutes in and the hosts had the lead.

The match had a good pace to it, and both teams looked fluid when they got forward on the attack. Real Madrid found an equalizer in the 27th minute, when the head of Cristiano Ronaldo connected with a cross from James Rodriguez. It was Ronaldo’s 76th UEFA Champions League goal, and he now holds a one goal advantage over Lionel Messi for the most in the competition’s history.

[ VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo scores record-breaking 76th Champions League goal ]

Madrid nearly took the lead towards the end of the half, but James Rodriguez was rejected by the crossbar. Isco played a cross in which found James open in the six-yard box, but the Colombian couldn’t keep his header down as the teams went into the break level at one.

Juventus got off to another good start in the second half, and regained the lead in the 58th minute when a blocked shot in their own end sent Carlos Tevez on a full-field counter attack. Tevez took the ball all the way into the Real box and was taken down by Dani Carvajal to earn Juventus a penalty. Tevez finished what he started, beating Casillas down the middle from the spot to put Juve back ahead 2-1.

Carlo Ancelotti’s men controlled most of the possession down the stretch of the match, but failed to create any dangerous chances on goal. Gareth Bale was nearly invisible for Real, and was substituted off for the final minutes. However, they did score that crucial away goal, which could be massive come the second leg.

LINEUPS

Juventus: Buffon, Lichtsteiner, Bonucci, Chiellini, Evra, Marchisio, Pirlo, Sturaro (Barzagli, 64′), Vidal, Tevez (Pereyra, 86′), Morata (Llorente, 78′)

Goals: Morata (9′), Tevez (58′)

Real Madrid: Casillas, Varane, Pepe, Carvajal, Marcelo, Ramos, Isco (Hernandez, 63′), Kroos, James, Ronaldo, Bale (Jese, 86′)

Goal: Ronaldo (27′)

Atletico Madrid temporarily cuts player salaries by 70 percent

Photo by Matt McNulty - Manchester City/Manchester City FC via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Atletico Madrid says it has reached an agreement with its players and coaching staff to reduce their salaries by 70 percent while competitions are stopped during the coronavirus pandemic.

[ MORE: FIFA extends men’s age limit for Tokyo Olympics due to virus ]

Atletico announced the agreement on Thursday and said it is temporarily suspending the jobs of club employees.

Atletico had previously said it would need to take such a drastic step but had yet to reveal the details.

A job suspension under Spanish law allows a company to greatly reduce its labor costs by having workers stay at home while guaranteeing they will go back to their positions when conditions improve.

[ MORE: UEFA threatens Belgian league with European expulsion ]

The Spanish club added that some of the money saved by the players’ salary cuts will be given to its other employees who will be furloughed.

Barcelona recently announced it had come to a similar agreement with its players.

Both clubs said that such cost-saving measures were necessary to ensure their financial stability due to the loss in revenue during the stoppage of competitions.

CONCACAF postpones Nations League finals, Gold Cup qualification

Photo by Matthew Ashton - AMA/Getty Images
Leave a comment

CONCACAF announced on Friday that the 2019-20 Nations League finals and the opening rounds of 2021 Gold Cup qualification have been postponed due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

[ MORE: UEFA threatens Belgian league with European expulsion ]

The Nations League finals — featuring the U.S. men’s national team, Mexico, Costa Rica and Honduras — were previously scheduled to take place in Houston and Dallas in early June. CONCACAF says the semifinals and final will be rescheduled for a later date.

The seconds round of Gold Cup qualifying was previously scheduled to be made up in June — following their postponement in March, with four two-leg ties featuring largely Caribbean and Central American nations. Those, too, will be rescheduled for a later date.

Given the ongoing public health situation, and following consultation with FIFA regarding the international football calendar, we have made the decision to suspend the CONCACAF Nations League finals, which was scheduled for June 4-7, 2020 in the Houston and Dallas areas.

The event, which includes the Costa Rica, Honduras, Mexico and USA men’s national teams, will be rescheduled to take place at a later date in venues to be determined. This will be confirmed following further discussions with FIFA regarding the remaining international windows in the football calendar, and will obviously be subject to public health authorities deeming it safe for professional sports events to resume.

FIFA extends men’s age limit for Tokyo Olympics due to virus

Photo by Stuart Franklin - FIFA/FIFA via Getty Images
Leave a comment

GENEVA — FIFA has extended the age limit for the men’s soccer tournament at the rescheduled Tokyo Olympics due to the coronavirus pandemic.

[ MORE: UEFA threatens Belgian league with European expulsion ]

The amended Olympic rule on Friday retains the “players born on or after Jan. 1, 1997” standard for the Tokyo Games following a one-year postponement agreed last week by the International Olympic Committee and Japanese authorities.

It means players eligible for the intended under-23 tournament in 2020 can still play in Japan at age 24 next year. Men’s soccer kicks off ahead of the July 23, 2021 opening ceremony in Tokyo.

FIFA also postponed two women’s age-group World Cups due this year in Central America and India, and confirmed no international games for men and women will be played in the early June dates protected for national team call-ups.

Soccer’s world body said “health must always be the first priority and the main criteria in any decision-making process, especially in these challenging times.”

The Olympic decision was made by a FIFA panel of soccer officials worldwide, created to address the soccer shutdown during the health crisis.

The 16 men’s teams at the Tokyo Olympics next year can also select three over-age players in their rosters. A stellar lineup includes Argentina, Brazil, France, Germany and Spain.

Two women’s World Cup tournaments — the Under-20s hosted by Panama and Costa Rica in August and September, and the Under-17s in India in November — are postponed. No new dates were announced.

[ MORE: Report: Serie A could resume training May 2, games late in month ]

Until the COVID-19 outbreak, national team games scheduled in June included the 2020 European Championship, World Cup qualifying games in South America and Asia, and qualifiers for the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations.

After Euro 2020 was postponed for one year, UEFA hoped to schedule playoff games in June to confirm the last four places in a 24-nation lineup. Those playoffs were postponed indefinitely this week.

World Cup qualifiers for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar now face uncertain scheduling in a congested calendar in Europe, South America and Asia.

FIFA said on Friday it would “organize bilateral discussions” with continental governing bodies “to finalize a revised match schedule pending health and safety developments.”

FIFA plans to direct hundreds of millions of dollars from its cash reserves to support a global emergency fund, and has agreed to appoint one official from each of the six soccer continents to coordinate the work.

Arsenal want season completed ‘to maintain integrity’ of PL

Photo by TF-Images/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Arsenal remain in support of finishing the 2019-20 season in order to “to maintain the integrity” of the competition, despite Friday’s unanimous vote that the Premier League cannot resume at the start of May as previously hoped due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

[ MORE: UEFA threatens Belgian league with European expulsion ]

The Gunners, who currently sit ninth in the PL table with 10 games left to play (one more than the majority of clubs around them), were five points back of fifth-place Manchester United for qualification to next season’s UEFA Champions League thanks to Manchester City’s two-year European ban.

In a statement released on Friday, Arsenal reiterated their stance that the current season should be played to completion rather than called to completion at things stand or abandoned altogether.

We are in full support of the objective for all remaining domestic league and cup matches from the 2019-20 season to be played, in order to maintain the integrity of each competition.

We also fully agree with the principle that any return to action will only be with the full backing of government and when medical guidance allows.

The restart date is under constant review as the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic develops and we continue to work together with all stakeholders through this very challenging time