It’s been a rough couple years for AC Milan.
The Rossoneri, not long ago the most powerful club in Italy and for a time the world, are on the hunt for their fourth full-time manager in 18 months. Following an eighth-place finish to the 2013-14 season and more than likely a 10th-place finish this term, the club’s hierarchy is understandably desperate to get the next hire right and return Milan to a status befitting a club of its history.
[ FOLLOW: All of the latest #FIFAarrests news ]
With that in mind, they’re going all in and swinging for the fences…and then some. On Thursday, AC Milan vice president Adriano Galliani confirmed the club has made an official approach and offer to now-former Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti.
Ancelotti, who was fired by Madrid president Florentino Perez this week, had previously said he planned on spending a season away from the game to rest and undergo an operation to improve his cervical stenosis. According to Galliani, Ancelotti has until June 3 to accept the offer, a period of time of which Ancelotti says he will take the entirety before announcing his decision.
“I’ll make my decision on Wednesday,” said Ancelotti, who according to Galliani, is 50-50 to accept Milan’s offer.
If there’s one club for which Ancelotti might rethink his stance, it’s perhaps Milan. During his first stint as Milan manager, from 2001-2009, Ancelotti led the club to two UEFA Champions League titles (2003 and 2007), one Serie A title (2004) and one Coppa Italia (2003). He also played five seasons for the Rossoneri, making 112 appearances and scoring 10 goals.