Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Clyne to Liverpool, Firmino to Manchester United

1 Comment

The Liverpool Echo claims that Liverpool will make an improved offer for Southampton and England right back Nathaniel Clyne. It is believed that the Reds had a $15 million bid turned down earlier in June but will go back for Clyne as the 24-year-old defender only has one-year left on his current deal at St Mary’s.

If Clyne was to leave Saints this summer for Anfield, he would follow in the footsteps of former teammates Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren and Rickie Lambert who jumped ship for Liverpool last summer. With Glen Johnson out of contract, the Reds need a new right back and the longer Clyne stalls on a new deal offered to him by Saints, the better Liverpool’s chances get of snapping him up.

[ RELATED: Monday’s gossip column ]

Manchester United are also said to be interested in signing Clyne, but the Daily Mirror claims they are switching their focus to Valencia’s central defender Nicolas Otamendi. The 27-year-old Argentine defender is currently on international duty at the Copa America after helping Valencia to a fourth-place finish in La Liga last season. There could be a snag with his deal though, as Louis van Gaal values Otamendi at around $37 million but Valencia want $52 million — believed to be his release clause — for their star defender.

Another player United are said to be in for is Brazilian striker Roberto Firmino. The Hoffenheim striker is currently playing for Brazil at the Copa America but according to German newspaper Bild, his agent has said he will move to the Premier League this summer. United are the favorites to land the 23-year-old attacker¬†and it is believed he could cost upwards of $30 million. With eight goals in 36 games for Hoffenheim last season, Firmino earned a call-up to Brazil’s national team in November last year and has scored three goals in six appearances for the Selecao. Despite his young age, Firmino already has five years experience in the Bundesliga under his belt and has scored 38 goals in 140 appearances for Hoffenheim.

Everton are said to be chasing former loan midfielder Gerard Deulofeu from Barcelona. The Spanish playmaker played a star role for the Toffees in the 2013-14 season but spent last season on loan at Sevilla. According to the Daily Star, Everton are said to be willing to pay $5 million for the 21-year-old.