Wednesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Van Persie to Fenerbahce, Kenedy to Chelsea

Leave a comment

Manchester United’s Robin van Persie could soon be heading out of Old Trafford and moving to Istanbul.

[ MORE: Spurs, NFL in partnership ]

Turkish giants Fenerbahce are confident that the 31-year-old Dutch striker, who has just one year left on his current deal at United, will join them this summer in a $7 million deal. According to Sky Sports, Fenerbahce’s directors are said to be in London to discuss the deal with United. Van Persie had an injury-hit campaign under Louis van Gaal last season and it is believed he is no longer a guaranteed starter with the Red Devils, even though Wayne Rooney and James Wilson are the only recognized strikers currently available to LVG.

[ MORE: Latest transfer gossip ]

With United not picking up their option to buy Radamel Falcao permanently and Javier Hernandez out injured after breaking his collarbone, it would be a little surprising if van Persie was allowed to leave. However with Memphis Depay, Angel di Maria and Ashley Young set to play starring roles in-behind Rooney this season, maybe RVP is no longer needed?

[ VIDEO: Lampard, Gerrard to make MLS debuts ]

Brazilian forward Kenedy is said to have had a medical in London ahead of completing a $10 million switch to Chelsea. The Daily Mail says that Kenedy was sold to an investment company last month but that the Blues will be buying the 19-year-old Fluminense forward and plan to loan him out next season. The Brazil U-20 attacker, who primarily plays on the right, joins compatriot Nathan who signed for Chelsea in May in a similar deal.

Sources have confirmed to ProSoccerTalk that Stoke City midfielder Steven Nzonzi if finalizing a move to Spanish side Sevilla. The Potters have reluctantly accepted a $12 million bid from the reigning Europa League champions. Nzonzi, 26, signed for Stoke from Blackburn Rovers in 2012 for around $5 million but the French midfielder is entering the final year of his deal at the Britannia Stadium and the lure of playing in the UEFA Champions League with Sevilla will have turned his head.

Yohan Cabaye is edging closer to his move to Crystal Palace with multiple outlets reporting a fee of $15 million has been agreed between the Eagles and Paris Saint-Germain. Cabaye, 29, would link up with his former manager at Newcastle United, Alan Pardew, and his arrival will be a major coup for the south London club if it comes off. With West Ham, Tottenham and Southampton all interested in the former Newcastle star — who signed for PSG for $45 million in 2014 — Palace seem to have won the race for the classy midfielder. His creativity sat behind the likes of Yannick Bolasie, Wilfried Zaha and Dwight Gayle could be a potent combination for the Selhurst Park club, while Cabaye needs to shine in order to rubber-stamp his place in Didier Deschamps’ France squad for the European Championships next summer.

Report: Man City could use Gabriel Jesus to get Rodri

Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images
1 Comment

At the root of this report is a question to which we don’t know the answer: How highly does Pep Guardiola rate Gabriel Jesus?

A report from Spanish outlet AS says Guardiola could use his young striker to lure Atletico Madrid into a swap deal, landing Manchester City their stirring defensive midfielder Rodri.

[ MORE: Players to watch at U-20 World Cup ]

Rodri is a nearly year older than 22-year-old Jesus, and is more instrumental to his current club. One of Atletico Madrid’s top talents, his $78 million release clause is an obvious route for City.

If Guardiola doesn’t see Jesus as a huge part of the club’s future, however, the manager may be able to go nearly like-for-like money-wise.

Jesus scored nearly every other game for City in all competitions, nabbing 21 goals in 47 matches, and has 13 goals in 27 caps for Brazil. Those are good numbers, especially with still-electric Sergio Aguero turning 31 this summer.

At his relatively tender age, Jesus has appeared 100 times for Man City and his 45 goals are made more impressive by less than 5600 total minutes in those matches.

Giving up on him to complete his midfield is a tough one. We think it’s more likely Guardiola pays the release clause… unless the manager simply doesn’t rate the player.

Players to watch at the U-20 World Cup

Photo by Dan Mullan/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The U-20 World Cup begins this week in Poland, and there are a bevy of future stars to watch, as well as several who will make their names during the tournament.

We’ll focus on the former. While England’s failure to qualify somewhat limits the Premier League starlets on show, there are still plenty from the English top flight.


Tim Weah, United States (PSG) — After a loan at Celtic and time with the full USMNT, how much can he dominate back in his age group?

Alban Lafont, France (Fiorentina) — At age 20, he’s already the starter between the sticks for his Serie A mainstays.

Diego Lainez, Mexico (Real Betis) — Eighteen with 12 league appearances for Real Betis, Lainez is a massive part of El Tri‘s future and carries four caps to his name.

Ruben Vinagre, Portugal (Wolves) — Wolves were promoted, and Vinagre actually made eight more appearances (17) than he made in the Championship.

Ezequiel Barco, Argentina (Atlanta United) — His sophomore season for the Five Stripes has been better than his debut campaign, though that’s not saying a ton given the hype.

Evan N’Dicka, France (Eintracht Frankfurt) — Plenty of playing time in the Bundesliga at the age of 19 for this towering center back.

Paxton Pomykal, United States (FC Dallas) — Looking good in MLS. How much should that translate on this stage?

Andriy Lunin, Ukraine (Real Madrid) — Won’t be wearing the white of Madrid in meaningful action any time soon, but made four appearances on loan for Leganes as a 20-year-old.

Sebastian Soto, United States (Hannover 96) — Not the American-born Bundesliga starlet we expected had we created this list months ago, but Soto has made his Bundesliga debut, so there’s a lot to like while Josh Sargent works with the full USMNT.

Dan Zagadou, France (Borussia Dortmund) — The left- and center back has 25 first team appearances for BVB at 19.

Diogo Dalot, Portugal (Manchester United) — Red Devils supporters know about this fella, who was purchased under the watch of Jose Mourinho last summer.

Mickael Cuisance, France (Borussia Monchengladbach) — Took a step back after his blockbuster ‘Gladbach breakthrough in 2017-18, but will be a key piece for the favorites.

Moussa Sylla, France (Monaco) — The winger is already a factor for AS Monaco, even if they struggled this season.

Bonus: Erling Håland, Denmark (Red Bull Salzburg); Ronald Araujo, Uruguay (Barcelona); Tom Dele-Bashiru, Nigeira (Manchester City).

De Ligt reportedly chooses Barcelona; Klopp set at CB

Photo by Dean Mouhtaropoulos/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Liverpool, Manchester United, and pretty much everyone but Barcelona looks set to miss out on Matthijs de Ligt.

De Ligt, 19, has paired with Liverpool’s Virgil Van Dijk while in the Netherlands national team set-up, but reportedly is opting to join Ajax teammate Frenkie de Jong at Barcelona.

[ MORE: Brighton hires new boss ]

In the case of Liverpool, Sky Sports says that Reds boss Jurgen Klopp thinks he doesn’t need another center back.

Injuries hit Liverpool’s center backs this season outside of Van Dijk. Joel Matip and Dejan Lovren were rated highly and combined for just over 2500 minutes, while young Joe Gomez suffered a long-term injury midway through the season.

If all are healthy, Liverpool has decent depth. Yet even Gomez doesn’t have the upside to shake a stick at De Ligt if the 19-year-old was truly interested in coming to Anfield.

I mean, “Are you interested in this 19-year-old captain of a Champions League semifinalist? He’s interested in coming there” usually doesn’t yield a firm, “No.”

As for Barcelona, it will reinforce its back line a year after allowing 36 goals. That’s pretty decent, but the Blaugranas‘ third-highest total of the last decade.

Mkhitaryan assured of safety by Azerbaijan ambassador

Photo by Catherine Ivill/Getty Images)
Leave a comment

The Europa League Final in Azerbaijan has not been getting a lot of positive press due to fans unwillingness to travel for the event and Henrikh Mkhitaryan’s fears of stepping foot in the country.

That’s because Mkhitaryan is the captain of Armenia’s national team, and that nation’s long dispute with Azerbaijan.

[ MORE: Brighton hires new boss ]

Arsenal, of course, plays Chelsea in the May 29 final, and Mkhitaryan already missed an earlier UEL match against Azerbaijan powers Qarabag. He’s played plenty for the Gunners this season apart from a broken foot, and his absence would not be welcome news for this London Derby of a European Final.

Azerbaijan’s UK ambassador Tahir Taghizadeh has guaranteed safety for Mkhitaryan, and said he’d be happy to personally offer assurances to the Armenian. On the other hand, this doesn’t sound like the most positive messaging, via Sky Sports:

“My message to Mkhitaryan would be: you’re a footballer, you want to play football? Go to Baku you are safe there, if you want to play the issue then that’s a different story. What I can guarantee is that the Azerbaijan government will do everything what needs to be done and provide safety and security for every fan, player and staff member coming to this game.”

By using the phrase “play the issue,” it does launch the discussion firmly into political waters. One thing’s for sure: The issue may be debatable, but whether a player feels safe deserves to be his call and his call alone.