Friday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Ronaldo, Pedro to Manchester United

2 Comments

The Manchester Evening News claims that Manchester United want to re-sign Cristiano Ronaldo, 30, to help guide them back to winning a Premier League title.

[ MORE: Latest transfer news

Ronaldo scored for Real Madrid in their 4-1 demolition of Manchester City in Melbourne on Friday, but it is said the Portuguese superstar isn’t keen on working for Rafael Benitez at Real. United were consistently linked with a move for Ronaldo last summer, and the summer before that, as the reigning World Player of the Year has always spoken fondly about his time at Old Trafford from 2003-09 when he won three PL titles and a UEFA Champions League. With the Red Devils selling Ronaldo for a then world record fee of $120 million back in 2009, they may now have to pay somewhere around that to get the forward back in Manchester for the final years of his career.

[ MORE: Should U.S. fire Klinsmann? ]

The Daily Express says United will also add Barcelona forward Pedro in the coming days. Pedro, 27, has spent his entire career with the Catalan club but has seen his playing minutes diminish in recent seasons after the arrival of Neymar and Luis Suarez at the Nou Camp. Barcelona manager Luis Enrique has refused to reveal Pedro’s decision when asked about the Spanish international earlier this week, although there has been confirmation that the release clause in his contract has been reduced to around $30 million.

source: Getty Images
Are United about to add Pedro to their group of forwards?

Do United really need another wide-attacking player? Pedro could play centrally but he is certainly not a target man and the Red Devils have Wayne Rooney and James Wilson in their squad who could currently play in the lone role up front. The same report in the Express say Ashley Young could be sold to Aston Villa, while Marouane Fellaini has been linked with a move to AC Milan as a busy summer of transfers at Old Trafford looks set to continue.

Abou Diaby is in talks with West Bromwich Albion about a “pay-as-you-play” deal. The French midfielder, 29, was released by Arsenal this summer after 10 injury-hit seasons in north London. Diaby showed plenty of promise as a youngster but has only played in one PL game since the start of the 2013-14 season. He was previously linked with a move to FC Dallas in MLS, but the Daily Mirror claims he is having a medical with Tony Pulis’ West Brom.

Finally, with Arsene Wenger giving an update on his transfer business after claims of a $300 million warchest emerged, the Sun newspaper say Arsenal is willing to pay $12 million for Juventus striker Fernando Llorente. The 30-year-old former Athletic Bilbao striker was used mostly of the bench for the Italian champions last season but he could provide some valuable cover for Olivier Giroud and Danny Welbeck who both suffered with injuries last season.