Jose Mourinho on John Stones rumor, says next two weeks “opportunity window”

3 Comments

Jose Mourinho is not getting drawn into the talk about John Stones joining his Chelsea squad this summer.

[ MORE: Latest transfer news

The Portuguese boss has previously been outspoken about his admiration for the young Everton center back, which irked Everton boss Roberto Martinez, but he’s now playing it cool about any move for the 21-year-old defender.

Speaking ahead of Chelsea’s trip to West Bromwich Albion on Sunday (Watch live, 8:30 a.m. ET on USA and online via Live Extra) Mourinho gave the following update on a potential move for Stones, while also leaving

“I don’t speak about players from other clubs,” Mourinho said. “The opportunity window, in these last two weeks, it depends on the opportunities. Can you do something you believe you can’t lose the opportunity to do.”

After adding Pedro Rodriguez for $34 million on Thursday and Baba Rahman at left back for $30 million earlier this week, it has been a heavy few days of spending at Stamford Bridge as Mourinho strengthens his squad following a shaky start to the season which has yielded one point from their opening two games that included a humbling defeat to their main title rivals Manchester City.

Many would say that Chelsea needed to strengthen in central defense, as John Terry influence will be faded out over the coming 12 months. Stones can play out of the back, is young and already has bags of PL experience but with Everton unwilling to sell, his price tag has already soared past $45 million. Depending on Chelsea’s form over the new few weeks, let’s see if there’s any movement late on in the so-called “opportunity window.”

In his press conference Mourinho also confirmed that Thibaut Courtois will return to play against West Brom after missing the defeat to Manchester City last weekend via suspension, while he suggested Terry is also likely to return to the starting lineup after he was benched at half time of the 3-0 loss.