Premier League transfer needs: Where each club has to strengthen before Deadline Day

3 Comments

With one week to go in the summer transfer window, now seems like a good time to look at the transfer needs for each Premier League team.

[ MORE: Latest transfer news

The summer window closes at 1 p.m. ET on Sept. 1, so the clock is ticking as managers and chairmen struggle to get deals over the line and make room in their squads for new faces.

With that in mind, here is what each PL team needs before the window slams shut.

   AREA

source:

Winger Manchester City: After buying Raheem Sterling, Fabian Delph and Nicolas Otamendi, City addressed most of their needs. If they can actually seal the deal for Kevin de Bruyne, it would make them contenders in the UCL and the PL. $75 million is a lot of cash, especially as they have Nasri, Navas and Sterling out wide.
source: CB Chelsea: After addressing needs at LB and in attack with Rahman and Pedro arriving, Chelsea needs one more CB. They are said to be close to signing John Stones for $60 million. If they can seal that deal, great window for Mourinho.
source: CB   Manchester United: Despite Wayne Rooney struggling to score goals, more on that here, Louis van Gaal isn’t interested in buying another forward. The midfield is packed, as are the wingers. Maybe United could do with a new CB as Daley Blind is a stop-gap and Phil Jones has struggled.
source:  Striker West Ham: Slaven Bilic has added 10 new players but only a handful have been influential so far. Bilic needs more firepower with Valencia and Carroll out injured. Will a move for Adebayor solve their problems short-term?

source:

Striker/CB ArsenalThe same needs at the start of the window are still clear for the Gunners: they need a top-class striker and a center back. With Koscielny and Mertesacker out last week, Gabriel looked okay but Chambers struggled. Up top, Cavani and Kokorin have been mentioned. The clock is ticking as Wenger looks for another late mega-deal.
source:  Striker Stoke City: The only area the Potters could use some help in is up top. They’ve score three goals in their opening three games but have made plenty of other chances. Hughes has added Shaqiri and Afellay to bolster the attack, but if a top forward comes up at the right price, the Potters must pounce.
source:  CB EvertonWith the Stones saga rumbling on, Everton only have two first-team center backs and he’s one of them. If Stones leaves for Chelsea, the Toffees will be in trouble but Martinez has been linked with a whole host of CBs. It is the one area where Everton look ridiculously thin.
source:  Striker Newcastle UnitedFour new key additions for Steve McClaren with over $65 million spent, but the Magpies still look short on goals up top. Cisse and Mitrovic have split time, but with two goals in three games, Newcastle need more firepower.
source: Striker WatfordThe Hornets have struggled to finish chances but look solid throughout the rest of the team. After a 2-2 draw on the opening day they’ve drawn 0-0 at home to West Brom and Saints. A lack of goals in those games may come back to hurt them.
source:  CB Southampton: Ronald Koeman is in need of a center back. Saints have shipped five goals in their opening three games and look all over the place. After losing Clyne and Alderweireld from last season’s back four, plus Forster and Bertrand through injury, it will improve, but Virgil van Dijk arriving from Celtic would be a big signing.
source:  Striker Tottenham Hotspur: Harry Kane needs help. That is clear for everyone to see and Spurs have gone after West Brom’s Saido Berahino. The Baggies have rejected bids from Tottenham but Berahino’s head has been turned and $40 million should do the trick to bolster Spurs’ forward line significantly. Heung-Min Son has also been mentioned as an option up top.
source: CM/DF Sunderland: Dick Advocaat has said he needs six new players before the window shuts and after a difficult start to the season, the Black Cats especially need help at the back. With 11 goals conceded in four games so far this season, bolster across the defense is a top priority for Sunderland.
source:  ST Aston VillaSherwood has had a bid for Gervinho turned down and it seems like Villa still wants to bolster its attack after scoring just one goal on their own through three PL games. Ayew has struggled to settle up top so far.
source: CM  West BromBerahino looks to be heading towards the exit, which would be a big blow for the Baggies, but they have signed Rickie Lambert and Salomon Rondon this summer to offset that potential loss. In CM they could use a more creative attacking player to help get things going in the final third. Let’s see if Pulis can work his magic once again on Deadline Day.
source:  Striker BournemouthThe Cherries are said to be chasing an experienced PL marksmen with Jermain Defoe’s name popping up. If they could grab him it would make a big difference to their attack, but it would be more of a luxury signing than a necessity.
source: CB LiverpoolWith three CBs in Lovren, Skrtel and Sakho, the Reds could need cover in the heart of the defense but should be set elsewhere after signing seven new players this summer. Rodgers’ squad is looking strong.
source:  CB Crystal PalaceThe Eagles have added Cabaye, Bamford, Wickham, McCarthy and Sako to strengthen throughout their spine. One more CB to combat injuries would be useful.
source:  CB Swansea CityThe Swans have been expertly built by Garry Monk and they only area they need to strengthen is providing cover for Ashley Williams and Federico Fernandez. Elsewhere, all is well.
source:  Striker Norwich City: The Canaries are said to be interested in Benik Afobe but Wolves want $20 million for the former Arsenal striker. If Alex Neil is serious about keeping Norwich up, they have to buy a predatory forward.
source:  CB Leicester CityClaudio Ranieri has bought well this summer with Okazaki and Inler top additions. If either Wes Morgan or Robert Huth go down in defense the Foxes could struggle. Like a number of teams, cover at CB would be nice.

Felix makes decision; Neymar to leave PSG?

Getty Images
1 Comment

Benfica youngster Joao Felix, 19, has reportedly decided to join Atletico Madrid.

Reports in Spain from Marca said that a deal for Felix has been agreed between Benfica and Atletico, with the Portuguese star deciding to head to La Liga instead of the Premier League with both Manchester City and Manchester United keen on signing him.

Felix has a release clause of $125 million in his Benfica contract and since the reports broke in Spain his current club have released a statement denying that a deal with Atletico has been done and that Felix’s agent, Jorge Mendes, is set to earn a huge $45 million from the transfer deal.

“In view of the set of news published in these last hours, Sport Lisboa e Benfica – Futebol, SAD clarifies that it is false that any negotiation process is currently under way regarding a possible transfer of player Joao Felix. The conditions for its negotiation are public and known, taking into account the termination clause defined in the amount of 120 million euros.

“More serious, and that deserves our most vehement repudiation and denial, is the false news that refers to negotiations that involve commissions of 30% and which, unfortunately, was echoed in Portugal by the newspaper ‘A Bola’, with intentions and goals that we do not know at all. We repeat: this information is totally false, absurd and has clearly intentional intentions for the reputation and dignity of Sport Lisboa e Benfica.”

The Portuguese international burst onto the scene in 2018-19 as he scored 20 goals from midfield to lead Benfica to the Portuguese title and a deep run in the UEFA Europa League.

With Antoine Griezmann on his way out of Atletico this summer, they will have some serious cash to spend and Benfica have been holding out for Felix’s reported release clause as clubs have tried to haggle it down by $20-25 million. There statement is strong that Felix is going nowhere, for now, but these reports suggest a move to Atletico is imminent.

Felix remains one of the top young talents in European soccer and these reports may well give the likes of City and United a friendly nudge in the right direction if they are serious about signing the free-scoring midfielder.


It appears Paris Saint-Germain are getting pretty fed up with the Neymar and a few of their other superstars.

In an interview with France Football PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi was asked about the speculation regarding Neymar’s future and came up with this response.

“I want players willing to give everything to defend the honour of the jersey and to join the club project,” Al-Khelaifi said. “Those who do not want that, or do not understand, we will meet and we will talk to each other. There are of course contracts to be respected, but the priority now is total membership of our project. Nobody forced him to sign here. Nobody pushed him. He came knowingly to join a project.”

Wow. That sounds like a man at the end of his tether.

Neymar arrived from Barcelona in 2017 for a world-record fee of $262 million and Kylian Mbappe arrived from Monaco initially on loan and then for the second-largest transfer fee in history at $200 million.

The former has been linked with a move to Real Madrid throughout the summer, while Mbappe spoke about the possibility of experiencing something new after he was named the Ligue 1 player of the year.

But Neymar is front and center here. Is that harsh given his plethora of injuries for club and country in recent seasons? His conduct off the pitch suggest these stern words from Al-Khelaifi are directly squarely at him.

After he was suspended for three UEFA Champions League games for next season after verbally abusing referees on social media, he was also reprimanded for hitting a fan after PSG’s defeat in the French Cup final to Rennes. His behavior off the pitch has further been called into question after last week a woman alleged she was raped by the Brazilian superstar.

PSG’s main aim is to dominate European soccer but despite Al-Khelaifi leading the charge and their Qatari owners pouring billions into the project, they haven’t got past the last eight stage in the UCL. Even though Thomas Tuchel’s side continue to dominate French soccer with six titles in the last seven seasons, European glory is what PSG crave.

Until Neymar is fully focused on the PSG project, it is unlikely to happen.

No deal: Willian, Wan-Bissaka bids rejected

Getty Images
Leave a comment

According to Sky Sports Chelsea have reportedly rejected $44 million bids from both Atletico Madrid and Barcelona for their Brazilian winger Willian.

Willian, 29, has just 12 months left on his current contract at Chelsea but given their transfer ban and after losing Eden Hazard to Real Madrid already this summer, the west London club are not willing to lose a player they believe will be key for them next season.

With Pedro and Christian Pulisic also around in the wide midfield positions, the fact that Callum Hudson-Odoi is recovering from a long-term injury also means that Willian is needed at Stamford Bridge.

He turns 30 soon and he has been linked with a move to Barca in the past. That said, his experience and quality will be needed for this young Chelsea squad and with Hazard gone he can now step up and be the main man cutting inside and scoring goals.


Another London club have turned down a bid, as Crystal Palace have brushed aside an offer of $44 million up front plus another $19 million in add-ons from Manchester United for right back Aaron Wan-Bissaka.

The 21-year-old was Palace’s Player of the Season in 2018-19 and excelled in his first full season as a professional.

Man United are desperate to bolster their defense, with right back and center back key areas where they want to strengthen this summer.

Wan-Bissaka is currently away with the England U21 squad for the European Championships in Italy and Palace know it will be tough to hang on to both him and Wilfried Zaha this summer as the latter has reaffirmed his desire to challenge for trophies and play in the UEFA Champions League.

Sky Sports believe that a straight offer of $65 million would be accepted, and United will likely return to pay what Palace want for one of the most promising right backs in the Premier League.

Watch Live: 2019 Women’s World Cup – Day 11

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The first double headers of the 2019 Women’s World Cup has arrived, as Groups A and B come to a close on Monday.

Hosts France are already through to the last 16 of the tournament but they face Nigeria who are aiming to finish in second place as they have three points from their first two games, and so do Norway who face South Korea in the other Group A finale.

[ MORE: Women’s World Cup news

Germany are already through from Group B and a win against South Africa, who sit bottom of the standings, will see them top the group. The real drama will be in the game between Spain and China as both teams have three points heading into their final group game.

You can watch every single game from the tournament live online in Spanish via Telemundo Deportes and via the NBC Sports App. All you have to do is click on the links below.

[ LIVE: Watch every single 2019 Women’s World Cup game ]

Here is your full schedule for Monday, June 17 at the Women’s World Cup.


2019 Women’s World Cup schedule

Group B: China v. Spain – 12 p.m. ET – STREAM LIVE
Group B: South Africa v. Germany – 12 p.m. ET – STREAM LIVE

Group A: Nigeria v. France – 3 p.m. ET – STREAM LIVE
Group A: South Korea v. Norway – 3 p.m. ET – STREAM LIVE

USWNT: “We have best team and second best team in world”

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Well, I’m sure this will calm down the folks who believe the USWNT are overconfident and a tad arrogant after scoring 16 goals and conceding zero in their opening two games of the 2019 Women’s World Cup…

Via Andrew Keh from the New York Times, defender Ali Krieger believes that such is the incredible depth of Jill Ellis’ U.S. women’s national team, they actually have the best team on the planet and also the second best team.

“We have the best team in the world, and the second-best team in the world,” Krieger said of the no. 1 ranked team on the planet.

Alex Morgan added that the USWNT have “two starting lineups” and the fact that Ellis made seven changes from the team which beat Thailand 13-0 and the U.S. then beat Chile 3-0 on Sunday says a lot.

All 20 of the USWNT’s outfield players have now played at the World Cup, and ahead of their Group F showdown with Sweden on Thursday for top spot it is likely the U.S. will continue to rotate its starting lineup.

In a month-long tournament, having such a large squad of talent to call on is enviable and Ellis knows it.

The USWNT toned down their goal celebrations from the 13-0 hammering of Thailand to the relatively run-of-the-mill victory against Chile, but their confidence levels haven’t dipped at all.

Just as the fresh legs will take them far in this tournament, so too will a whole squad brimming with confidence after getting valuable minutes at a World Cup.

It will be intriguing to hear what France, England and Germany think about these claims that the USWNT’s reserve squad is better than they are…