Manchester United to add new $56 million striker as Monaco’s Martial leaves France duty

1 Comment

Anthony Martial is leaving the scene of a big moment in his international career for a significant move in his club life.

The 19-year-old AS Monaco striker has left France camp, where he was in line for his first ever cap, and is expected to join the ranks of Manchester United’s forwards. Reports have said United big $56 million for the teenager.

The French federation issued a statement that Martial was given permission to leave camp by manager Didier Deschamps, and that he’ll sign a contract with United before returning to his national team on Tuesday.

[ MORE: Sunday’s done deals include De Bruyne ]

The news comes one day after Louis van Gaal said he wouldn’t “panic buy” after a 2-1 loss to Swansea City, and whether this move fits that bill is subject to interpretation. The United manager has stated that they would go after the world’s best, and Martial has plenty of potential after scoring 13 club goals before the age of 20.

Martial started his club career the day after his 17th birthday, playing for Lyon in a UEFA Europa League match. He was off to Monaco six months later, and posted his best season last year with 11 goals across all competitions.

Tottenham were among the teams linked with Martial this summer, but it seems he’s chosen Old Trafford.