FIFA turns on Warner over World Cup bids, banning him for life

Paul Chiasson, CP via AP
2 Comments

FIFA is falling apart.

Perhaps that’s common thought at this point, or maybe some think it’s exaggeration, but the latest news shows that soccer’s governing body is scrambling to cover itself in the wake of investigation from the U.S. and Switzerland.

[ MORE: Swiss open criminal investigation of Blatter ]

Jack Warner is facing extradition and jail time, and now FIFA has takeen the not-bold-at-all step of banning the Trinidad and Tobago politician for life (After he quit in 2011, FIFA said it was “presuming his innocence” ).

From the Associated Press:

But in Tuesday’s ruling, FIFA said Warner “committed many and various acts of misconduct continuously and repeatedly during his time as an official in different high-ranking and influential positions at FIFA and CONCACAF.”

FIFA said Warner was involved in the “offer, acceptance, and receipt of undisclosed and illegal payments.”

Few organizational downfalls have been met by such widespread public glee as Sepp Blatter’s FIFA.

The sheer ego of Blatter and his organization refuses to go away. The Swiss announced that they were opening criminal proceedings against Blatter late last week.

And while just yesterday Blatter said there’s no chance he’ll be stepping aside as FIFA president before the February election, the group has no problem raining fire on Warner, a man named in the Swiss announcement re: Blatter.

Despicable, really.

What does this mean for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups? It’s amazing that we’re still doubting a possible change, but that’s the power garnered by FIFA over the past few years. Russia in ’18 is going to happen, it seems, but Qatar is another story.