Crystal Palace 0-0 Manchester United: Stalemate at Selhurst

1 Comment
  • Third straight 0-0 draw for United
  • Bolasie hit crossbar
  • Cabaye misses glorious chance
  • United stay fourth
  • Crystal Palace and Manchester United drew 0-0 at Selhurst Park on Saturday as Louis Van Gaal‘s side struggled to get going offensively once again as those jibes from Paul Scholes will be ringing in the Dutchman’s ears after a third-straight 0-0 draw.

    The Eagles went closer to scoring in both halves as Yannick Bolasie hit the bar and Yohan Cabaye volleyed wide, as Alan Pardew‘s side had to settle for a point.

    With the draw Palace stay in eighth on 16 points, while United remain in the top four on 21 points.

    [ MORE: Watch full match replays ]

    A fast start at Selhurst Park saw Palace look to get in-behind United with Cabaye pulling the strings in midfield and Bolasie having his shot come back off the bar, while Wayne Rooney had a chance to sneak in after Anthony Martial‘s defense-splitting pass but Wayne Hennessy cleared the danger.

    A Rooney free kick was also saved by Hennessy but United looked disjointed under pressure in South London.

    [ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]

    Ander Herrera had a great chance to put United ahead just before half time but he fluffed his shot from 12-yards out, which summed up a first half that promised plenty to start with but petered out.

    [ MORE: Latest Premier League standings ]

    In the second half the game went into a lull as both teams cancelled each other out. A gloirous chance arrived for Palace to go ahead 20 mintues from time as Bolasie played the ball to Joel Ward and his teasing cross found Cabaye seven-yards out in the center of the goal. As Palace’s fans got ready to celebrate, the Frenchman somehow skewed his effort wide of the post as David De Gea and United breathed a huge sigh of relief.

    [ MORE: Click here for full lineups, stats, box score ]  

    Late on Palace pushed for the winner and looked more likely to break the deadlock. The home side were happier with the point to hold van Gaal’s men as the Red Devils once again faltered in the final third but ground out a clean sheet.