Benzema to remain in police custody in sex-tape blackmail case

1 Comment

Karim Benzema will spend Wednesday night in police custody after being questioned earlier in the day as part of an investigation into a sex-tape blackmail case.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

Any number of Benzema, fellow Frenchman Djibril Cisse and another yet-to-be-named player could face a maximum five-year prison sentence if charged and convicted.

More details, from the Guardian:

Benzema, 27, was summoned to the police station at Versailles shortly before 9 a.m. on Wednesday morning. Afterwards the public prosecutor’s office would only confirm that he was being held for questioning.

The affair centers on the alleged attempted blackmail of an international midfielder with what the French news agency AFP said was a sex tape recorded on a mobile phone.

L’Equipe said investigators wanted to establish whether a conversation between Benzema and the player during a meeting of the French national team at the beginning of October was simply friendly advice or part of the plot.

Benzema’s name apparently came to the attention of police investigating the alleged blackmail after he mentioned the sex tape during a gathering of the French national team at Clairefontaine before Les Bleus met Armenia and Denmark.

Benzema is currently out injured (hamstring – suffered Oct. 8 vs. Armenia) and hasn’t appeared in a game for Real Madrid since Oct. 4.