Monday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rabiot to Arsenal; Vardy to Chelsea

Leave a comment

After yet another shocking defeat at the weekend, more reports are surfacing that Jose Mourinho will be handed plenty of cash in January to try and turn around Chelsea’s fortunes.

The Daily Telegraph believes that Mourinho has earmarked three players — Jamie Vardy, Saido Berahino and Alex Texieira — who could improve the Blues’ attack for the second half of the season.

[ MORE: Fergie praises Mourinho ]

It would take a huge fee to sign Vardy, 28, from Leicester City given his current form of 14 goals in 15 games this season but with the Blues able to offer a huge rise in wages, could Vardy turn down an astronomical contract at Stamford Bridge? It would take a lot for him to leave the Premier League leaders. As for Berahino, West Brom turned down a $30 million bid from Tottenham for him in the summer and despite the England U-21 international having plenty of upside, he’s failed to find form so far this season for the Bagges. The wildcard here is Texieira but the Brazilian attacker has been splendid for Ukrainian powerhouse Shakhtar Dontesk and has previously told others that the Blues are in talks with Shakhtar about a $45 million transfer. If he mirrors Willian‘s success at Chelsea, then why not?

Whatever happens in January, it’s highly likely changes will occur at Chelsea as Mourinho must wheel and deal to ship out under-performing stars and rejuvenate his squad with new faces if the defending champs are going to pull away from the relegation zone and make a miraculous challenge for a place in the top four.

Another London club could be doing some business in January with injuries to several key players, once again, hitting Arsenal hard. Francis Coquelin and Santi Cazorla have gone down with long-term knee injuries, meaning Arsene Wenger may need to dip into the market for a short-term option until those players return. A good option on that front could be Paris Saint-Germain’s Adrien Rabiot, 20, who according to the Daily Mail is seeking a loan move in January as regular minutes with his hometown team continue to evade him. Laurent Blanc has an embarrassment of riches in central midfield and Rabiot could fit the bill to help shore up Arsenal’s woes until the end of the season. Tomas Rosicky and Jack Wilshere are scheduled to return from injury in January to help out but the skillful Frenchman may add a little something extra to the mix.

[ MORE: Man City want Vieira to return as boss ]

Another player Arsenal should move for in January is Southampton’s Kenyan destroyer Victor Wanyama. That’s according to former Gunners winger Robert Pires who has told journalists in Nairobi that Wanyama “has the speed, skill and physique. However, I think he needs to score more goals because then he will be world-class material.” Wanyama, 24, joined Saints from Celtic in 2013 for $19 million but has 18 months left on his contract at St Mary’s and Ronald Koeman‘s side blocked a summer move to Tottenham Hotspur as Wanyama momentarily threw his toys out of the pram.

Now that he’s focused, Wanyama has shored up Saints’ midfield but he has yet to score this season after netting three times last campaign. If Arsenal do move for Wanyama it could be next summer as he will have less than a year left on his deal and may be available for less than $20 million. He’d be the true destructive holding midfielder they’ve been searching for and has UEFA Champions League experience under his belt during his time with Celtic. Wanyama is ready to take the next step and follow in the long line of Saints players moving to a top four team, but will Koeman offer him a new long-term contract and will the Kenyan accept it?

Rounding up the transfer rumor roundup, Manchester United are hoping to secure the services of 15-year-old Ajax starlet Juan Familio-Castillo with the Dutch U-16 captain impressing the Red Devils scouts for over a year. According to the Daily Mail, Familio-Castillo could arrive in January as the versatile player can operate in midfield and defense and is highly-rated by the Amsterdam club.

Transfer rumor roundup: Mari to Arsenal; Defoe makes permanent Rangers move

Getty Images
Leave a comment

A roundup of all of Saturday’s biggest transfer rumors, including those involving Premier League outfits.

[ MORE: Premier League January transfer needs ]

Arsenal are reportedly hours from adding a defender to Mikel Arteta‘s squad.

Flamengo’s Pablo Mari has reportedly arrived in London and set for a medical at Arsenal, Sky Sports reports. The 26-year-old Spaniard will join the North London side for the remainder of the season with an option to buy.

It won’t be Mari’s first time signing for a Premier League side, however.

In 2016, the center-back signed with Manchester City, but never featured for the defending champions, instead making appearances for Girona, NAC and Deportivo La Coruna on loan.


Jermaine Defoe is not returning to Bournemouth.

On Saturday, Rangers announced that Defoe signed a pre-contract to join Rangers on permanent basis in the summer.

The storied 37-year-old English striker has 20 goals in 57 appearances since joining the Scottish giants last January on a 18-month loan. Defoe’s new contract runs through the 2020-21 season, a one-year deal.

“It’s fantastic news,” Rangers manager Steven Gerrard told the club’s website. “It’s something we have been working on over the weeks and it is great to finally get that done and dusted.”

“He is an incredible professional with the way he goes about his work on and off the pitch – he is a credit to himself and his family. And also on the pitch, which is the main thing. He is still contributing heavily – he is a major part of this group, this team and this squad and hopefully together we can go and share some success as I think he deserves that.”

This season, Defoe has scored 16 goals in 28 games.


Crystal Palace are in talks to sign Belgium international Yannick Carrasco, according to Sky Sports.

Carrasco, 26, wants to leave Chinese Super League side Dalian Yifang and is currently training in Belgium, ahead of a return to European play.

Carrasco has scored 24 goals in 52 appearances since making a move to China from Atletico Madrid in February 2018.


Norwich City are actively pursuing Danel Sinani, according to the Daily Mail.

The 22-year-old Luxembourg winger is out of contract with Luxembourg side FC Dudelange this summer. If the parties involved can’t reach a deal this week,  the Canaries are reportedly ready to propose a pre-contract agreement.

Mourinho hints Spurs to sign Lo Celso permanently: ‘I think the boy is earning the decision’

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Tottenham Hotspur loanee Giovani Lo Celso is closer to permanently stay in North London than he is to return back to Sevilla.

[ MORE: Spurs, Saints draw and force 4-th round FA Cup replay ]

The 23-year-old Argentine, who arrived at Spurs from Real Betis last summer on a season-long loan, experienced a rocky start in the Premier League. Lo Celso – with only 44 minutes of English top-flight playing time under his belt – suffered a hip injury with Argentina, ruling him out two months in the fall.

Since, the attacking midfielder has worked his way up Jose Mourinho’s pecking order, featuring heavily in the Portuguese’s scheme over the past few months. Most recently, on Saturday, Lo Celso displayed his well-balanced virtues in Tottenham’s 1-1 draw with Southampton in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

Following the match, Mourinho addressed questions on whether or not his club is going to sign the midfielder on a permanent contract. Praiseworthy of Lo Celso’s learning abilities, Mourinho hopes the midfielder will be a part of the club’s long-term plans.

“It’s not an obligation, it’s an option,” Mourinho said of Lo Celso, who is reportedly available at reduced price of $35 million. “I think the boy is earning the decision. He’s making an easy decision for the club to execute the option.”

“Incredible evolution since I arrived,” he added. “Barely played a game, I think he played against Red Star Belgrade, with me a little bit difficult to come in the first few weeks. But he understood what we wanted. Good learner, good kid and I think by himself he made the decision that the club is going to execute the option. That’s normal, he earned it.”

With Christian Eriksen on the verge of departing the London side, Mourinho and company will have additional funds to land Lo Celso this winter before his price spikes in the summer.

Everything points to the creative midfielder having a future in London, but will Spurs brass follow suit and make it official soon?

Netherlands forward Rob Rensenbrink dies at age 72

Getty Images
Leave a comment

THE HAGUE, Netherlands — Rob Rensenbrink, the forward who was centimeters away from delivering the Netherlands a World Cup title in 1978, has died at age 72, the Dutch football association said Saturday.

“We have heard with sadness of the death of football legend Rob Rensenbrink,” the association said in a tweet.

Rensenbrink played most of his club football in Belgium with Club Brugge and Anderlecht, where his weaving runs earned him the nickname “Snake Man.” He also played briefly for the Portland Timbers in the United States in 1980.

He was a regular for the Netherlands national team in its period of dominance in the 1970s.

He played 46 times and scored 14 goals for the Dutch team known for its slick, position-swapping “total football.”

But he will always be best remembered for the goal he didn’t quite score in the 1978 World Cup final.

With the scores tied at 1-1 between the Netherlands and host Argentina and the seconds ticking away in injury time of the final in Buenos Aires, Rensenbrink’s shot hit the post. The match went to extra time and Argentina scored twice to win 3-1.

It was the second straight World Cup final defeat for the Netherlands, which has appeared in three finals and lost them all.

Rensenbrink was diagnosed with a muscle disease in 2012 and died as a result of the illness, according to Dutch national broadcaster NOS.

Anderlecht said he died Friday night.

“Thanks for everything Robbie!” the Belgian club wrote on its website. “We will never forget you.”

Serie A roundup: Ilicic powers Atalanta in historic win over Torino (video)

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Atalanta’s historic and overpowering win over Torino highlights Saturday’s Serie A action.

 [ MORE: Serie A scores, schedule ]

Torino 0-7 Atalanta

Josip Ilicic scored a hat-trick, including a center-line strike, as Atalanta humiliated Torino 7-0 on Saturday, handing the hosts their worst home loss ever in Serie A play.

With only nine men on the field towards the end of the match for Turin-based side, Atalanta were able to capitalize, elevating their goal count to 57 goals in 21 games this season. Gian Piero Gasperini’s men, who are back in Champions League contention, lead the league in goals.

Robin Gosens and Duvan Zapata, who scored a minute before the break, added to Ilicic’s first of three. A three-goal advantage after the first 45 minutes foreshadowed what Torino was going to encounter in the second half: more goals.

Eight minutes into the final 45 minutes of Saturday’s bout at the Olimpico di Torino, Ilicic quick-fired two more past an exposed Salvatore Sirigu.

With less than 10 minutes to go, Luis Muriel took the field for the visitors. And just six minutes after his first foot on the natural surface, the Colombian striker had a brace to his name.

“All we can do is apologize,” Torino coach Walter Mazzarri said. “In so many years of my career I had never had such a game.”

In fourth place with 38 points, Atalanta look to increase their seven-goal performances this season to three as they host struggling Genoa in a weeks time. Torino, on the other hand, meet AC Milan on Tuesday in the quarterfinal’s of the Coppa Italia.

Elsewhere

SPAL 1-3 Bologna

Fiorentina 0-0 Genoa