Watford 1-2 Manchester City: Aguero seals stunning late comeback

1 Comment
  • First win in 7 away games for City
  • Aguero, Toure score late on
  • Kolarov OG gave Watford lead
  • Manchester City fought back to beat Watford 2-1 at Vicarage Road on Saturday with City scoring twice in two minutes and 35 seconds to overturn a one-goal deficit and grab a stunning comeback win late on.

    Ben Watson‘s corner was flicked into his own net by Aleksandar Kolarov to give Watford a lead early in the second half and it looked to be enough for the victory until Yaya Toure struck in the 82nd minute and then Sergio Aguero grabbed the winner in the 84th to spark incredible scenes in Hertfordshire after two moments of sheer class from the Citizens.

    With the win City are just three points off first-place Arsenal, while Watford lose back-to-back games to close out the festive period.

    [ RELATED: Watch full match replays ]

    Watford went close to taking the lead as Abdi rifled a shot just over the crossbar to set the tone early on and Nicolas Otamendi then blocked Odion Ighalo‘s shot.

    [ RELATED: Latest Premier League standings ]

    Ighalo then spun City’s defense expertly but Joe Hart saved well with the Nigerian clean through on goal as the away side struggled to get a grip on the game. As the first half closed out City looked more dangerous in attack and Sterling smashed a snapshot over the bar following a sustained period of pressure.

    [ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]

    At the start of the second half Watson drilled a low shot on goal which Hart tipped wide with the Hornets pushing hard to go ahead. At the other end Fernandinho headed over when completely unmarked 12-yards out from a corner as City’s entire bench had their head in their hands after a glorious chance went begging. Moments later Watford went ahead as Watson whipped in a corner to the near post and the ball flicked off Kolarov’s head and into his own net. Pandemonium at Vicarage Road. 1-0 to the Hornets.

    [ MORE: Full lineups, stats, box score ]

    That goal sparked an end-to-end feel to the game with Jose Holebas weaving through three tackles before his shot was deflected off target and then Yaya Toure slotting his shot over when he should’ve done better.

    Entering the final 10 minutes Etienne Capoue went on a surging run and fired wide under pressure and then City equalized moments later. Kolarov’s corner was met on volley by Toure who belted it into the top corner to make it 1-1.

    Two minutes later City were ahead as Bacary Sagna dug out a superb cross from the right and Aguero rose majestically, hung in the air and headed home what turned out to be the game-winner with five minutes to go. Cue madness among the Man City fans at Vicarage Road.

    Heartbreak for the Hornets. Ecstasy for City.